• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Adam Silver talks about an in season tournament and more

Admin

• Moderators

I love the idea of a mid-season cup tournament.  Only thing is that it would need to be over by mid-March because most teams care about the Larry O-Brien first and foremost.  Anyone who follows futbol or at least has played FIFA 15 knows how the mid-season tournaments work.  Also, this sounds like this would increase the number of games instead of decreasing.  I also like the idea of getting teams from other leagues to compete in a World Cup setting.  The NBA could become a year-round professional sport.

As it is now, only one team is happy with how their season ends.  With additional tournaments, we could end up having 3 winners a year with the NBA playoffs, a mid-season tournament, and the World Cup of Basketball.

• Like 1

I think a Holiday Tournament might be cool.  Say get 4 teams from each region to play.  I could see a Hawks, Heat, Bobcats and Magic Tournament with the games played the week between Christmas and New Years.  (I would go with the final on New Year's Eve, and make it a big party, but that might not work.)

I don't see this working.  Players are already hesitant to play in the World Cup due to chance of injury.  The All Star game is just an exhibition.  Why would players want to compete for a lesser title half way through a grinding season?

• Like 2

I don't see this working.  Players are already hesitant to play in the World Cup due to chance of injury.  The All Star game is just an exhibition.  Why would players want to compete for a lesser title half way through a grinding season?

Yeah I could see players slacking or not playing in these other tournaments because everyone traditionally wants the NBA championship.  That's what everyone is working for. 

Winning one of these tournaments still wouldn't have the same feeling in my opinion.  It's like winning a bowl game in college football:  it's nice to get a win but it's not the real deal.  Just another money maker in my opinion.

I would make the tournaments part of the regular season - but there would be some trophies, money, bragging rights, etc to go with winning the tournament.  Or they could give some other incentives such as making the tournament games count double for the playoff race. 

Edited by Randy

Could be a fun idea to have a mid-season tourney.  Maybe shorten the games so they can get more in quicker.  Players probably wouldn't mind back-to-back (1 each day) games If they were only 24 minute games.  Pattern it after Rugby Sevens.

Edited by DJlaysitup

IMO a world wide tournament could be interesting. A regular contest against NBA teams would make teams outside the US more attractive for players and viewers.

Would definitly help to develop basketball as a worldwide more regarded and respected sport. More attention, more viewers, more players, more talent discovered and last but no least more money to make.

Don't know if anybody in the US would care about such a competition...

• Like 1

What I would do is shorten the NBA regular season. Make it where you only play a single home and away with each team. That would shorten the season to 58 games and give plenty of time for a couple of tournaments. You could even add in an extra home and away for each of your division rivals. That would put the season at 66 games. I think that would be the perfect length. 

IMO a world wide tournament could be interesting. A regular contest against NBA teams would make teams outside the US more attractive for players and viewers.

Would definitly help to develop basketball as a worldwide more regarded and respected sport. More attention, more viewers, more players, more talent discovered and last but no least more money to make.

Don't know if anybody in the US would care about such a competition...

I'm sure that a lot of us would. I would be curious to see how some of the top European teams would fair against real NBA teams and not just superstar collection teams who probably aren't as good as teams like the Spurs are. 

• Moderators

What I would do is shorten the NBA regular season. Make it where you only play a single home and away with each team. That would shorten the season to 58 games and give plenty of time for a couple of tournaments. You could even add in an extra home and away for each of your division rivals. That would put the season at 66 games. I think that would be the perfect length. 

The teams and players would all make less money, though.  Regardless of everything else, I think that would nix it.

The teams and players would all make less money, though. Regardless of everything else, I think that would nix it.

That may be an issue but I wouldn't think that would be a death blow. If you're cutting out 16 regular season games (or 12 if you play 5 division games and 2 vs everyone else) and then you have 2 double elimination round robin tournaments plus the NBA playoffs it won't be that much lost for most teams. Not to mention the tourney games should be sell outs so as long as you're guaranteed a couple of those per year that will help make up for it.

• Moderators

That may be an issue but I wouldn't think that would be a death blow. If you're cutting out 16 regular season games (or 12 if you play 5 division games and 2 vs everyone else) and then you have 2 double elimination round robin tournaments plus the NBA playoffs it won't be that much lost for most teams. Not to mention the tourney games should be sell outs so as long as you're guaranteed a couple of those per year that will help make up for it.

It comes down to the TV contracts, not the rear ends on the seats.  If they can work out a system that adds dollars through the TV deals, this can happen.  If it doesn't enhance their TV revenues, it won't.

lol no team would try to win anything during a mid season tournament that means nothing. This is an awful idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk