• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Spurs

lethalweapon3

All of you national media writers/bloggers who lurk on this website for information, should make lethalweapon's pre-game write-ups REQUIRED READING before you watch ANY Hawks game.   Same goes for you in Atlanta media as well.

Tremendous write-up as usual, lethal.

I doubt they put anywhere near as much thought or energy into it as Lethal...........

• Like 2

Meanwhile, only Golden State (39.5%) has had better fortune than Atlanta at keeping opponents dissatisfied at the other end of the floor (39.8 opponent FG%). So, why haven’t the Hawks looked like world-beaters thus far? With all the missed shots they’re engendering, they’re not securing defensive rebounds as they should (29.0 opponent O-Reb%, 6th highest in NBA), despite Al Horford’s best efforts (81.0 rebounds per 100 chances, highest among starting centers). Paul Millsap (36.1% of rebounding chances, lowest among NBA players with double-digit chances) has to pick up the slack on the defensive end when Al sits, while Pero Antić and Elton Brand must make their limited minutes count.

Also, the Hawks are leaving 8.0 PPG on the table at the free throw line (68.0 team FT%, 4th worst in NBA), despite Jeff Teague’s best efforts (13-for-14 FTs; 10-for-10 vs. Indiana). It’s not helping that their opponents’ 83.3 FT% ranks second only to the foes of the Spurs (84.0 opponent FT%). Atlanta’s whiffed freebies can turn games where they should be cruising into nail-biters, leaving otherwise benign teams like the Pacers within Chris-Copeland-shooting-distance of the lead. Millsap (6-for-13 FTs) is again the team’s biggest offender, but Horford (just two free throw attempts in two games) and the team’s more accurate shooters have to pursue forays inside the paint and draw contact.

No, a loss tonight to Budenholzer’s Hawks won’t make Popovich happy. But then again, whatever does, really?

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

View the full article

So we are basically losing games by giving up offensive rebounds and bad free throw shooting. 

C'mon  fellas...focus.

tumblr_lrheb0ji6U1qzt4vjo1_500.gif

Can the Hawks Beat the Champs? These 8 Questions Will Help Answer That

1. Can Jeff Teague keep balling? He has scored 45 points through two games on 58 percent shooting, handed out 14 assists and has six steals. He's carried over the offensive momentum from last season's playoffs, but can he keep it going against a good San Antonio defense?

2. Will Mike Scott miss at the AT&T Center? He didn't in the preseason, going 8/8 from the field. If you thought that was a fluke, take a look at his field goal percentage through two games. Spoiler: it's 75 percent, tops in the NBA among players who have attempted at least five shots per game.

3. Can the Boss keep improving? If 16 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks is what Al Horford is going to average when not at full strength, imagine what he'll do once he's fully healthy and back in shape. The possibilities are scary.\

4. Can Kyle Korver make four out of five threes in San Antonio? That's what he'll need to do to avoid lowering his three-point percentage. He's at 80 percent right now, which isn't terrible.

5. Can the Hawks keep up the high assist numbers? They dished out 26 in each of the first two games, good enough for #1 in the NBA after week one. It's a product of the offense they play, and the point guards have really embraced it. Shelvin Mack, for example, has a 9:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, good for third in the league.

6. Can Atlanta keep draining threes? They lead the league at 47.6 percent after a week and are one of only five teams shooting better than 40 percent from deep. They'll need a few to keep up with the Spurs, who have a bombs away mentality as well.

7. How healthy is Kawhi Leonard? We know he's going to play, but how well can he actually see after missing two weeks with an eye infection. He went 0-5 from the field in his debut Friday but has had plenty of rest since, as the Spurs got a four-day break prior to Wednesday's game with the Hawks.

8. Can Atlanta improve on the glass? The weakness for the Hawks so far as been the boards, as they're in the bottom five in the league in offensive rebounds allowed. It doomed them against Toronto, and it kept the Pacers within striking distance. The Spurs have some big bodies even without Tiago Splitter, so the Hawks will be challenged again.

Stealing a win tonight would be huge for us.  Our schedule isn't exactly easy during November and we need every win we can get.  I suspect that Millsap will be the key for us tonight.  He needs to get out of this shooting slump and do a better job on the boards if we are going to beat teams like the Spurs.

Lets Go Hawks!!

• Moderators

Awesome post as usual and hey, I got a shout out in it.  Thanks!

Jaybird you have two posts that are making me go blind.  Cut it out.

The one thing I'm ready to see is someone new turn in a good game.  So far we've seen guys do what they did last year.   Time for Baze, Thabo, or less probably Dennis, Jenkins or  Moose to have a good game.

• Like 1

The wide-wingspanned Leonard did not manage to grab a contract extension in the offseason

View the full article

I suppose wide wingspanned is acceptable but the second I start talking about Kawhi's hands all $hit breaks loose.

Awesome game thread as usual Lethal.

Jaybird you really zonked out my eyes with that focus batman psychotherapy chart thing...damn!

Spurs are favored by 8....I've prolly said this since 08 but I think they are getting old..:-/ Lets see if we can run them off the floor..I mean can Duncan and Manu still run that hard?

I played this matchup in 2k15 last night and beat the Spurs 103-91 but even in the game they just simply wouldn't die..lol

• Moderators

"That's right, Bawb..."

According to Bob, Chuck, MJ, Lamar, and The Original Big-Balls-Dancer are the four.

~lw3