• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Hornets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

We all know the deal with the officiating against the Hawks, no need to even sweat it anymore. I can't stomach the rebounding disparities too much more. Is Moose that awful in practice or what? Paul Milsap made Zeller look like an All-Star.

Correction

• Premium Member

It's looking more and more likely either Al or Sap will be dealt.

Why would it be either Horford of Milsap?  Why would this front office even consider keeping Milsap???  There is an alternative...Send Mulsap's azz to the bench asap!

When your backup center (as of now; get healthy Payne :)) is a worse rebounder than your PG you are gonna get bad team rebounding numbers. Millsap definitely has to step up rebounding also. 5-6 rebounds a game isn't gonna cut it from your starting PF. Millsap was a very good rebounder in Utah (And Lead the NCAA in rebounds in college) so I know he can do better than this.

For everything that went wrong in that game with the Hawks and the officials (I'm more concerned with the Hawks), that "play" at the end of regulation was the most frustrating part. That's one area where Drew is clearly superior to Bud. What a complete and total failure that was (again). 

I'm not going to join in with all the usual doomsayers after 3 close losses on the road, but that loss was hard to stomach. Need to beat the Knicks tomorrow. Would be nice to see Millsap get back to form.

• Premium Member

Horford was abused by Jefferson.

Millsap did nothing to contain Zeller. He looks uncomfortable out there.

Teague was great until crunch time, then suddenly disappeared.

We were, once again, badly outrebounded.

And it still took a ridiculous call and a miraculous last-second heave for the Hornets to beat us at their home.

I'm not concerned. Just pissed off with the refs deciding the last two games (should've been 2 road victories against good teams).

Not concerned. At all. 

Couple of thoughts.

We didn't lose the rebounding battle because of Al being undersized. He won his battle 10-9 Even as poorly as Millsap rebounded Marvin didn't do any better. We lost the rebounding battle at the pg sg positions. Kemba 9 rebounds and Lance 13. This is becoming too common of a occurrence.

Noone could have stopped Jefferson tonight we forced him to take tough shots for the most part,but he made them. I'm questioning why Bud didn't play Brand tonight.

Why do we always play Schröder with people that can't finish? Guy could of had 6-8 assist tonight but people can't hit layups or wide open shots.

Story of the Hawks of this early season is the their inability to capitalize on good opportunities. Bad teams do this.This has to change.

The Hawks are in a delicate place; they have a lot off characteristics of a good and bad team. Can Bud coach the bad out of them? I think yes because they seem to compete like a champion.

Edited by ATLien_

• Premium Member

Couple of thoughts.

We didn't lose the rebounding battle because of Al being undersized. He won his battle 10-9 Even as poorly as Millsap rebounded Marvin didn't do any better. We lost the rebounding battle at the pg sg positions. Kemba 9 rebounds and Lance 13. This is becoming too common of a occurrence.

Noone could have stopped Jefferson tonight we forced him to take tough shots for the most part,but he made them. I'm questioning why Bud didn't play Brand tonight.

Why do we always play Schröder with people that can't finish? Guy could of had 6-8 assist tonight but people can't hit layups or wide open shots.

Story of the Hawks of this early season is the their inability to capitalize on good opportunities. Bad teams do this.This has to change.

The Hawks are in a delicate place; they have a lot off characteristics of a good and bad team. Can Bud coach the bad out of them? I think yes because they seem to compete like a champion.

Everything that you mentioned in your post points to Bud being the main problem because he is creating every thing above.

We are getting our share of offensive rebounding - that is not our problem. It's defensive rebounding that's our problem. We are allowing teams too many second chance opportunities especially on spots like the free throw line and from the guard position. There is no concept of boxing out. Kemba with 9 rebounds probably equals what Jeff, KK and DMC had combined (I haven't checked).

I'm not sure why someone mentioned Zeller. Jefferson is the one killing us..

I did, his energy was great for them: he filled out the stat sheet, used his fouls well, and had two huge blocks on Teague at the rim late. He is what we need in a sense: youthful, active, and long as hell (which I'm hoping Payne is if his career ever starts). It was expected that Jefferson was going to get his, it's that bum Gary Neal hitting everything that had me pissed. Edited by benhillboy

We are getting our share of offensive rebounding - that is not our problem. It's defensive rebounding that's our problem. We are allowing teams too many second chance opportunities especially on spots like the free throw line and from the guard position. There is no concept of boxing out. Kemba with 9 rebounds probably equals what Jeff, KK and DMC had combined (I haven't checked).

EXACTLY!!! At one point I yelled BOX OUT!!! My gf looked at me like ..wtf, settle down, you're hyphy...lol

I noticed a couple of other things from last night's game as well. We don't seem to trust each other on offense. It seems as though when one of our guy's catches the rock, the others are watching him a bit too much as opposed to setting screens, moving without the ball, etc. I just feel like we need to trust each other more and move the damn ball crisply.

The other thing I noticed was that Teague doesn't trust his midrange. I'm not sure if he thinks he can't hit the shot or he's trying to get others involved in the offense, but there were several times that Kemba gave him a bit of room and he insisted on driving it straight into a big Horcat in the paint as opposed to pulling up. He did hit a few nice floaters too.

Ps I looked at the boxscore and realized Teague had 15 assists!!!! Is that a career high? Anyone know.

EXACTLY!!! At one point I yelled BOX OUT!!! My gf looked at me like ..wtf, settle down, you're hyphy...lol

Lol - at the home opener against Indy I kept yelling REBOUND. It's so infuriating. And like I said previously, the C/PF rebounding is comparable to their counterparts on the other team. It's the wing spots that have been killing us.

LMAO at people trying to blame the rebounding problems on guards when Stephenson and MKG combine to average more rebounds than Horford and Sap and did it again last night. Sap and Horford are the problem with rebounding and they need to own that.

LMAO at people trying to blame the rebounding problems on guards when Stephenson and MKG combine to average more rebounds than Horford and Sap and did it again last night. Sap and Horford are the problem with rebounding and they need to own that.

So if Al Horford is boxing out Al Jefferson and a guard knives in and steals the board that's an Al problem? Rebounding is a team effort that's why good rebounding guards are a plus to have. Rebounds count the same no matter who collects them.

We are already undersized; the guards need to rebound their position. Guards can't continue to get out rebounded by 15 plus each night.

By the way lance and kemba out rebounded their bigs too.

• Like 1

Worst playoff team in 2013 with a very predictable first round exit. One of the worst offseasons in the league and our Front office and ownership are in disgrace. What did you expect? Oh and rebouding and interieur play have be Hawk weaknesses since Deke. Yet Ferry does little xept get in trouble smearing the franchise and some here say he is oir best GM ever.

Edited by tbhawksfan