• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Does 1 One Legged 3 Warrant this Type Confidence?!

LastDon

Antić hit one off balance last second shot during last season and now Bud treats him like he is Larry f***ing Bird or Reggie Miller..He lost the playoff series to Indiana..He threw away 2 other games with bad passes in last second situation..

We might as well be playing young talent..no one even guards Pero at the 3 point line for every 5 threes he jacks he might hit one..We got killed on the boards against a Laker team thats smaller than us..

Bud needs someone with basketball knowledge to hold him accountable.. He is a little too comfortable..

• Like 1

He was the backup option on the play, they doubled Teague and left Antić wide open. He's a good 3pt shooter and that's his spot. He's 4-8 from that spot this year so that's about as good of a shot as you're going to get, especially with him being wide open. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

He was the backup option on the play, they doubled Teague and left Antić wide open. He's a good 3pt shooter and that's his spot. He's 4-8 from that spot this year so that's about as good of a shot as you're going to get, especially with him being wide open. 

Please don't muddle the prevailing sentiment with facts.

If I see this Antić involved in one more dedicated hate thread (to our backup center who shot 33% from 3 last year, was in the running for ROY, and despite not hitting any shots in the playoffs still lured Hibbert out of the lane) I'm going to puke.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Agreed, except I can't endorse him as a good 3pt shooter.  He was an OK one overseas and has done marginal work from there overall for the Hawks.  In 59 regular season games for the Hawks, he is shooting .327%.  That is not very good. 

Edited by AHF

Antić hit one off balance last second shot during last season and now Bud treats him like he is Larry f***ing Bird or Reggie Miller..He lost the playoff series to Indiana..He threw away 2 other games with bad passes in last second situation..

We might as well be playing young talent..no one even guards Pero at the 3 point line for every 5 threes he jacks he might hit one..We got killed on the boards against a Laker team thats smaller than us..

Bud needs someone with basketball knowledge to hold him accountable.. He is a little too comfortable..

He is shooting 25% from 3 this year. Would you consider Josh Smith a good 3 pt shooter?

Agreed, except I can't endorse him as a good 3pt shooter.  He was an OK one overseas and has done marginal work from there overall for the Hawks.  In 59 regular season games for the Hawks, he is shooting .327%.  That is not very good. 

From that spot, he's 4-8 this season so he's had pretty good success there and I have no problem with Bud drawing up a pretty good play that puts our 2nd option in a spot where he's shooting 50% from this season and had him wide open.  

Last year he stunk from 3, except the corner 3's where he was actually outstanding shooting 17-37.  Maybe he'll end up regressing in this spot as well to his %'s from last year, but at this point in the season I don't mind him taking that shot. 

• Like 2

He is shooting 25% from 3 this year. Would you consider Josh Smith a good 3 pt shooter?

I misspoke as I meant to say he's a good 3pt shooter from that spot. But he's still out shooting Mack and Thabo from 3 and usually I'd be comfortable with them taking the 3. Teague is only slightly better this year but I'd rather a wide open Pero in his spot taking the shot than a double teamed Teague. 

It's amazing the level of hatred for a guy who was our 4th string C last year and who makes peanuts for us. But let's just give our highest paid player a pass on how awful he's been. 

Sorry but we didn't lose the Lakers game because of Pero missing a last second 3pt shot, we missed because our starting C has become a nancy who can't rebound or defend and still can't score in the paint. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's not my life's mission to defend this guy but come on.   He had a good year last year.   I don't think Bud's mission is to play the worst players.

After the Horford injury, the Hawks were a completely different team with Antić in the lineup (16-16; 13-13 with him starting) than when he was out  (5-14) due to injury. His impact on the game was huge even when he was having a poor shooting night. His spacing opened up driving lanes for Jeff Teague and the rest of the Hawks' guards, and also created space for Millsap to operate. The Hawks' offense scored 102.8 points per 100 possessions with Antić on the court and 99.5 points per 100 possessions with him off the court for the season. 

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/season-review-pero-Antić

• Like 2

• Moderators

From that spot, he's 4-8 this season so he's had pretty good success there and I have no problem with Bud drawing up a pretty good play that puts our 2nd option in a spot where he's shooting 50% from this season and had him wide open.  

Last year he stunk from 3, except the corner 3's where he was actually outstanding shooting 17-37.  Maybe he'll end up regressing in this spot as well to his %'s from last year, but at this point in the season I don't mind him taking that shot. 

I am not dumping on Pero here, I just don't think he is a good 3pt shooter from anywhere.  Corner 3's are easier than other 3's and so nearly everyone shoots them better and they are desirable shots for anyone even somewhere competent on 3's even if they aren't a good 3pt shooter overall.

My comment was more about his utilization.  You note that you have no problem with Bud drawing up a pretty good play that puts our 2nd option in a spot where he is 4-8 this season.

My response is that Pero should never be our second option on a key play when our team has Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap, Al Horford, and Mike Scott.  Plant Pero in a spot where he has had success and use him as the last resort outlet if someone else gets doubled.  Don't make him your second option.

I am not dumping on Pero here, I just don't think he is a good 3pt shooter from anywhere.  Corner 3's are easier than other 3's and so nearly everyone shoots them better and they are desirable shots for anyone even somewhere competent on 3's even if they aren't a good 3pt shooter overall.

My comment was more about his utilization.  You note that you have no problem with Bud drawing up a pretty good play that puts our 2nd option in a spot where he is 4-8 this season.

My response is that Pero should never be our second option on a key play when our team has Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap, Al Horford, and Mike Scott.  Plant Pero in a spot where he has had success and use him as the last resort outlet if someone else gets doubled.  Don't make him your second option.

You put those other guys who are better 3pt shooters out there and they don't get left open. Pero has already made a huge clutch 3 just a few games back and that's his spot. I would fully trust him to take that shot again. Now if we had more than a few seconds I would certainly want a better play drawn up but with 3 seconds (or whatever it was) on the clock, I'll take an uncovered Pero in his spot over a contested 3 from anyone else considering the likelihood that Korver and possibly Scott would be doubled in that situation. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

You put those other guys who are better 3pt shooters out there and they don't get left open. Pero has already made a huge clutch 3 just a few games back and that's his spot. I would fully trust him to take that shot again. Now if we had more than a few seconds I would certainly want a better play drawn up but with 3 seconds (or whatever it was) on the clock, I'll take an uncovered Pero in his spot over a contested 3 from anyone else considering the likelihood that Korver and possibly Scott would be doubled in that situation. 

If Korver and/or Scott get doubled, I would love to take my chances with that kind of open for one of our better players.  We can always get a low % three for Pero.  It isn't the worst shot in the world but if you are looking to overcome a deficit on a last shot you are going to lose ~67% of those games by settling for a Pero 3.

If Korver and/or Scott get doubled, I would love to take my chances with that kind of open for one of our better players.  We can always get a low % three for Pero.  It isn't the worst shot in the world but if you are looking to overcome a deficit on a last shot you are going to lose ~67% of those games by settling for a Pero 3.

You're acting like there's time for all of that. There's 3 seconds on the clock (if memory serves) and that's enough for 1 pass out of a double, which we did. And sorry but if Pero is shooting 50% from a spot on the floor AND he's wide open, that's a GOOD look. 

And actually let me fix that, he wasn't 4-8 at the time, he was 4-7 and had just hit an almost identical shot vs Charlotte in a clutch moment just a few games earlier. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

The 4-7 bit doesn't mean much to me.  I can flip a coin and get heads 4 times in a row but it doesn't mean I'm better than 50/50 on getting heads the next time.  I don't have any confidence that Pero has changed his 3pt shot so that shots other than in the corner are going to convert at anything better than very low 30%s.

On a play with 3 seconds left, I would want Pero to be the safety valve if he is the game at all (better to pick from Sap, Horf and Scott).  3 seconds is plenty of time to receive the ball and dish to someone wide open if that is what presents itself but I would want a better look than that and certainly have several guys running off screens to get a shot by one of our other weapons.  I would LOVE it if other teams ran players for similar guys instead of their best offensive players like Dallas giving a wide open 3 to Al Farouq Aminu or Golden State giving Iggy a wide open 3 instead of looking to someone else first.  I assume other teams react the same way when they see us run a play where Pero is a top option instead of a safety valve.

The 4-7 bit doesn't mean much to me.  I can flip a coin and get heads 4 times in a row but it doesn't mean I'm better than 50/50 on getting heads the next time.  I don't have any confidence that Pero has changed his 3pt shot so that shots other than in the corner are going to convert at anything better than very low 30%s.

On a play with 3 seconds left, I would want Pero to be the safety valve if he is the game at all (better to pick from Sap, Horf and Scott).  3 seconds is plenty of time to receive the ball and dish to someone wide open if that is what presents itself but I would want a better look than that and certainly have several guys running off screens to get a shot by one of our other weapons.  I would LOVE it if other teams ran players for similar guys instead of their best offensive players like Dallas giving a wide open 3 to Al Farouq Aminu or Golden State giving Iggy a wide open 3 instead of looking to someone else first.  I assume other teams react the same way when they see us run a play where Pero is a top option instead of a safety valve.

So now you're just arguing to argue. Got it.

Just FYI though, 50/50 is pretty damn good for 3pt shooters.