• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bob Rathbun Interview

THE HAWKS' LATEST LOSS MIGHT HAVE BEEN THEIR WORST OF THE SEASON, A 114-109 LOSS TO THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS. WERE THERE ANY CONCERNS WITH THAT LOSS?

I think one of the big things is, as frustrating as a loss like that is, you still have to take the long view. It's still early in the season and there's a lot to work on, but not having forward DeMarre Carroll really affected this team defensively against the Lakers. But it's part and parcel with an early season and getting to know your own club, mixing in new people and raising the level of intensity -- all of those things rolled into one.

Had they started that game against the Lakers in better fashion, they wouldn't have had to make such a dramatic comeback in the second half. They showed that once they buckled down they were fine. They played hard, they just dug themselves too deep of a hole. I think going forward there are some issues that have to be addressed. One is on the defensive end of the floor they've got to reclaim some intensity in contesting shots and grabbing rebounds. The offense will take care of itself.

IN HIS POSTGAME NEWS CONFERENCE FOLLOWING THE LAKERS LOSS, COACH MIKE BUDENHOLZER AGREED THAT THERE ARE SOME DEFENSIVE PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW. ARE THERE LONG-TERM DEFENSIVE QUESTIONS WITH THIS TEAM?

I think they've bought in at both ends of the floor, it's just a matter of bringing that same sense of urgency every night in the NBA, because if you don't there's another team that's more than willing to take advantage. We saw that from the Lakers the other night. They received a huge lift from guard Nick Young as he made his season debut, and once he hit a couple shots you could see it just raised the level of play for Los Angeles. The Hawks did not match that.

I don't think the defensive issues will become an ongoing problem by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just one of those times in the season where you hit a little rut and you want to correct things before you go any further.

WHAT HAVE YOU SEEN OUT OF POINT GUARD JEFF TEAGUE AND HIS BACKUPS, AND WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE THAT GROUP DO MORE OF?

When they step on the gas pedal they're pretty difficult to guard. Take Jeff Teague against the Lakers, for example. If he doesn't take the first quarter off it might have been a different ballgame. Once he got engaged and started blowing by Jeremy Lin whenever he wanted to, the game changed completely.

For any guard to find success in the NBA, he's got to touch that paint. You've got to get inside. Teague has the natural ability -- with his speed and quickness -- to do that almost at will. And once he gets that mindset of "I can't be stopped," that mindset to attack whether you're jumping a screen or defending one-on-one, it just changes everything for this offense. Along with Dennis Schröder and Shelvin Mack, they have to have that attack mentality for this whole thing to click.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of Schröder this season, particularly after the team re-signed Mack as a kind of insurance policy. It was hard to see where hit fit in terms of the pecking order. I thought the team forced him into some minutes there in the first couple of weeks of the season, but then he had that really good week where he really did look like a legitimate NBA point guard. The turnovers concern me, but I think if he can carve out 15-18 minutes chunk every night where he has more good things happen than bad, then he's going to be a good addition to this team. He just cannot turn the ball over, whether it's with fouls, legitimate turnovers, bad passes or careless mistakes. This team cannot afford to have that out of its backup point guard.

IS THERE A GAP BETWEEN THE WESTERN AND EASTERN CONFERENCES? IF SO, HOW SUBSTANTIAL IS IT?

There's definitely a gap between the West and East, but just how big it is remains to be seen. It's a little too early to make too many judgments about the worth of some teams, especially given the injury situations at Oklahoma City and Indiana. When you take those significant injuries into account, it's a little premature to declare just how deep either conference is.

There's no question, though, that the West features quality at the top. I think the Eastern Conference does as well, but I think the West boasts more quality teams. There are a couple of bottom-feeders in this conference that are pretty bad. Obviously with the Philadelphia 76ers, there's no team in the West that even remotely compares to what they're going through. TheKnicks are a mighty struggle right now, and will continue to be until they get Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calerdon back in the fold.

The West is stronger, but I'm not ready to crown them champs quite yet. Cleveland will get its act together, Chicago is a proven commodity and Toronto is an excellent team that can hold its own with any team.

FIRST-ROUND PICK ADREIAN PAYNE WAS ASSIGNED TO THE D-LEAGUE THIS WEEK. IS THAT A GOOD MOVE FOR THE TEAM IN THE LONG TERM?

It's a good thing that Payne is getting quality minutes in the D-League this weekend. It's imperative for his development that he starts to get some playing time, and I think this is a good move. Similar moves helped guys like Mike Scott, John Jenkins, you name it -- guys that were not receiving big-time minutes as rookies over the past few years. That'll be good for Payne to see some major-league competition even down in the D-League. That will help the Hawks down the road, too.

http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/rathbun-hawks-defensive-troubles-recent-hiccup-in-long-season-112014

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Bob just saying what everyone already knows about Jeff. He can't be stopped and it seems he is the only one that doesn't know it. I'd like to see one quarter where he just thinks of his shot first and be a little selfish with the rock.

Exactly!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Teague need to get a little more selfish. I get many think this is horfords team and all but really it's Teagues team!

Horford can drop 30 points like sap did against LA and we will still lose but if Teague attacks the goal at will and have the "can't nobody stop me" attitude throughout the whole game hawks will win many many many games including that one against LA last night!

I try not to be on Teagues nuts but dude has that alpha dog ability but he's too damn shy to release it! We've been bit**ing and asking for a star for years, yet there's one right in our face that's scared to come out his shell! And if bud can't get him to come out of it I don't think any coach will get it out of him!

I'm sick of getting pissed off at losing games and the number one reason we lose is because 1. Teague isn't aggressive or 2. Teague decided to be aggressive too late!

WTF Teague?! Step it up! Do you not want to win?!

So once again, people are mad at Teague for not playing like Isaiah Thomas every game. There are a LOT of issues with this squad. This so-called "deep" squad.

I don't think asking teague to be in attack mode all game is asking a lot especially when he has elite ability to get into the lane at will. (Notice I said elite ability to get into the lane not elite finishing ability or Teague would easily be dropping 28ppg)

There are problems with this team yes but rebounding and rim protection are the biggest and probably can't be completely resolved without making trades but I think it's fair to place blame on Teague and his other backup PGs because it's their goal to attack the lane but even more so for Teague cause he's the starter. I honestly don't believe we should have any bad offensive games to some extent but I know it will happen cause they are human but even then it shouldn't be often.

Teague is my favorite hawk as of right now but no hawks fan can take up for Teague! For example...

Raptors game- we play terrible all game and we are down a good amount of points in the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game. Suddenly Teague from no where comes in making all kinds of plays and was the main reason for getting us back in the game having a chance to win.

Lakers game-Teague goes ham in the second half destroying LA and putting the hawks back in the game for a chance to win. He carried this hawks team on his back but could have done it all hand instead of one half.

So the question is why does Teague decide for the team to be down to start being aggressive? Why not be aggressive all game? It's very obvious that the whole team feeds off of Teagues aggressiveness! Even A blind man can see that... so I will keep screaming attack the goal Teague, nobody is saying drop 25 points a game but more so when you attack the goal the whole offense just flows greatly because of you!

Sap and horford don't have the same offensive impact as Teague does. Last the fact that Teague even mentioned in his own YouTube series "Teague Chronicles" that nobody can stop him, it makes me wonder why he isn't aggressive all game if he knows this already.

Teague don't realize it but he's his own bump in the road.

So once again, people are mad at Teague for not playing like Isaiah Thomas every game. There are a LOT of issues with this squad. This so-called "deep" squad.

Who's mad? We are pointing out flaws not so much in his game but in his mental approach to the game. The team as a whole is not good enough for 'flip switch Teague' sleep walking through parts of the game. If he's not going to be scoring he has to find other ways to impact the game.

I don't think asking teague to be in attack mode all game is asking a lot especially when he has elite ability to get into the lane at will. (Notice I said elite ability to get into the lane not elite finishing ability or Teague would easily be dropping 28ppg)

There are problems with this team yes but rebounding and rim protection are the biggest and probably can't be completely resolved without making trades but I think it's fair to place blame on Teague and his other backup PGs because it's their goal to attack the lane but even more so for Teague cause he's the starter. I honestly don't believe we should have any bad offensive games to some extent but I know it will happen cause they are human but even then it shouldn't be often.

Teague is my favorite hawk as of right now but no hawks fan can take up for Teague! For example...

Raptors game- we play terrible all game and we are down a good amount of points in the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game. Suddenly Teague from no where comes in making all kinds of plays and was the main reason for getting us back in the game having a chance to win.

Lakers game-Teague goes ham in the second half destroying LA and putting the hawks back in the game for a chance to win. He carried this hawks team on his back but could have done it all hand instead of one half.

So the question is why does Teague decide for the team to be down to start being aggressive? Why not be aggressive all game? It's very obvious that the whole team feeds off of Teagues aggressiveness! Even A blind man can see that... so I will keep screaming attack the goal Teague, nobody is saying drop 25 points a game but more so when you attack the goal the whole offense just flows greatly because of you!

Sap and horford don't have the same offensive impact as Teague does. Last the fact that Teague even mentioned in his own YouTube series "Teague Chronicles" that nobody can stop him, it makes me wonder why he isn't aggressive all game if he knows this already.

Teague don't realize it but he's his own bump in the road.

If he doesn't start playing like he's our best player (wether that's true or not) soon, I'm afraid he'll never get it. This is year 6. That's the attitude I want to see from him.

I don't think Teague talks enough on the court either - directing player to spots etc.

• Premium Member

Teague in attack mode early can really lift this team to cruise for a win. I have seen all too often Teague lay an egg early in a game and then go into attack mode as JTB described to get us back in it. If Teague is aggressive early we wouldnt have the hole to begin with. Teague plays poorly defensively when he is in "passive mode" also. Hurts the team at both ends of the floor.

Teague in attack mode early can really lift this team to cruise for a win. I have seen all too often Teague lay an egg early in a game and then go into attack mode as JTB described to get us back in it. If Teague is aggressive early we wouldnt have the hole to begin with. Teague plays poorly defensively when he is in "passive mode" also. Hurts the team at both ends of the floor.

Yep - and that's the point I made above - even if he isn't aggressive trying to score he needs to find other ways for his impact to be felt - driving and passing or playing some defense. Like you pointed out when he goes 'too cool for school Teague' his entire game suffers.

Yeah lately I have been overly passionate about Teagues play as it's honestly driving me nuts when he don't play the way he can impact the game in a big way! Lol so much to a point where I'm actually talking to my wife about it, knowing she doesn't care at all!

Anyways I tend to do this in sports from time to time and I think it's time for a break from the squawk before people start to think I'm crazy on this board and everyday life.

I just think it's crazy to continue wishing for a star player when we have a potential one in our face that can impact the game just by being aggressive and driving the lane! It's not about skill set anymore with Teague it's ALL mental and the fact that he's in year 6 and still hasn't figured that out it's just crazy....MJ was no lie when he said the game was 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical when looking Teague.

Yeah lately I have been overly passionate about Teagues play as it's honestly driving me nuts when he don't play the way he can impact the game in a big way! Lol so much to a point where I'm actually talking to my wife about it, knowing she doesn't care at all!

Anyways I tend to do this in sports from time to time and I think it's time for a break from the squawk before people start to think I'm crazy on this board and everyday life.

I just think it's crazy to continue wishing for a star player when we have a potential one in our face that can impact the game just by being aggressive and driving the lane! It's not about skill set anymore with Teague it's ALL mental and the fact that he's in year 6 and still hasn't figured that out it's just crazy....MJ was no lie when he said the game was 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical when looking Teague.

It's not crazy to keep wanting one - when and if Teague shows he's THAT guy, then we'll stop asking. Until then we'll keep asking and wanting. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

This whole Teague thing is becoming a little exaggerated. I'm pretty sure Teague is doing what he's being asked to do: run the team as a PG should. A part of that is picking your spots. He doesn't 'attack' all of the time because it's his responsibility to handle the ball and distribute to his teammates. Don't blame Teague for not being the superstar this team needs. Teague is not the problem.

This whole Teague thing is becoming a little exaggerated. I'm pretty sure Teague is doing what he's being asked to do: run the team as a PG should. A part of that is picking your spots. He doesn't 'attack' all of the time because it's his responsibility to handle the ball and distribute to his teammates. Don't blame Teague for not being the superstar this team needs. Teague is not the problem.

I don't think it's exaggerated at all but on the rest of what you said I'm starting to wonder if bud is telling Teague to get the team involved more so than attacking the basket?

If so we mind as well start Dennis whose a more pure point guard cause Teagues best way of getting the team involved is by attacking the basket! Attacking the damn basket is just Teagues thing! It's Teagues mojo! It's what he does best...I do wonder what bud tells him! I really do and I'm not trying to question our coach but man I wonder sometimes!

I think Dennis has the mindset that people want Teague to have.... I suspect that means that Dennis will be the starting PG within a year or two.

I agree...Dennis seems to have that mindset but I can say I once thought Teague did too especially after that bulls playoff performance he had.

So until Dennis is starter if he is to become starter I'm honestly not sure.

I bet he's always supposed to be in attack mode. That doesn't always mean he's supposed to shoot but if he's attacking and causing the D to react then he's either getting himself a shot or he's getting a teammate open.

In Coach Bud's offense the PG must always attack the basket. It is what the entire offense revolves around. Watch how SA plays, especially Parker. That guy became the PG he is by attacking, and then attacking again, and again. That is what we need Teague to do. The fact he has the physical talents to do it, yet he still doesn't is boggling.

I actually don't even understand the laid back, "oh I don't need to attack or play as hard as I can mentality". Frankly, that laid back stuff is what absolutely drives me nuts with Jeff. Conversely, I love it when Dennis comes in as he at least attacks constantly (but he has to get better on the decision making).

Teague isn't the only problem with the Hawks. I would say he's number 3 behind 1)  bad rebounding (looking at Horford); 2) rim protection (need a trade); 3) laid back Teague; 4) wing defense (just get some consistency and addressing #2 might really help); 5) lack of an alpha dog.

#5 could actually be #1 and it would help with all the rest.

I agree...Dennis seems to have that mindset but I can say I once thought Teague did too especially after that bulls playoff performance he had.

So until Dennis is starter if he is to become starter I'm honestly not sure.

I wasn't convinced by the Bulls series.

Teague had a nice series, but players mindset does not usually make severe changes. Being the glass half empty guy that I am, I expected Teague to revert back. I believe Dennis does have that aggressive mindset to get to the basket. The problem is that he has no jumper. Right now he still has not done enough to earn the starting job. He still has plenty of improvements to make.