• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

C-Viv was just on NBA radio

IheartVolt

couple points he made.

Al is only about 70 percent right now

and he is still having wind issues on court. could be awhile yet before he is 100%. he stated that Coach bud has zero concern over Al's play and that it was pretty much expected.

He also said the locker room is stunned over Dennis and his growth in maturity as well as his game. He stated that Jeffrey sat the 4th quarter of the Celtics game cause coach but just couldn't bring himself to the point to take Dennis out because he was playing so well

Edited by IheartFerry
  • Like 4

Hopefully Horford can get to where he needs to be physically (maybe mentally as well) and build a strong chemistry with Millsap before the playoffs roll around. That would be a nice boost.

Yea he pointed out the lack of play time for Al and Sap together and

Pointed out the lack of chemistry there

It wouldn't surprise me if he's still only 70% recovered. But I'm willing to bet that his stats won't improve by more than 10% over the rest of the season even getting back to 100%.  Other than not getting winded as easily, which of course is a big deal, I believe this is pretty close to the best Al we're going to get going forward. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

It wouldn't surprise me if he's still only 70% recovered. But I'm willing to bet that his stats won't improve by more than 10% over the rest of the season even getting back to 100%.  Other than not getting winded as easily, which of course is a big deal, I believe this is pretty close to the best Al we're going to get going forward. 

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm not seeing the logic behind this.  If he's not completely recovered and not in shape then why wouldn't he improve once he's 100%?  Especially a guy who's game is shooting and hustle.

• Like 1

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm not seeing the logic behind this.  If he's not completely recovered and not in shape then why wouldn't he improve once he's 100%?  Especially a guy who's game is shooting and hustle.

Because his stats over the past 3 years (including this year) are trending down. Why would we expect his game to all of a sudden reverse course and improve? 

The only thing I see improving are his stamina, which may help him rebound a little better. It's not going to give him a post game or get any taller / longer or more capable of blocking shots. 

• Like 1

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm not seeing the logic behind this. If he's not completely recovered and not in shape then why wouldn't he improve once he's 100%? Especially a guy who's game is shooting and hustle.

I agree. For his career Al averaged 14/9 so far this season he's averaging 13/6.

For me it's less about the actual numbers but his hustle, strength and reaction time.

10 months off - cleared for full 5 on 5 contact during preseason, has played 16 games.

Because his stats over the past 3 years (including this year) are trending down. Why would we expect his game to all of a sudden reverse course and improve?

The only thing I see improving are his stamina, which may help him rebound a little better. It's not going to give him a post game or get any taller / longer or more capable of blocking shots.

He's been injured the past 3 years tho

How have his stats been trending downward, for 3 years, when his 18.6 pts on 56.7 FG% plus 1.5 blocks, through 29 games last year, are all career highs.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 3

He's been injured the past 3 years tho

And he's never going to be as strong as he used to be. His pecs aren't going to magically heal up and be as good as they used to be. He's no longer doing heavy weight training so his ability to bang won't be nearly what it was. 

How have his stats been trending downward, for 3 years, when his 18.6 pts on 56.7 FG% plus 1.5 blocks, through 29 games last year, are all career highs.

Because you have to look past basic raw numbers. 

Rebounds per 100 possessions

2012 - 14.2 (15.7%)

2013 - 12.9 (14.8%)

2014 - 11.3 (13.1%)

Defensive Rating

2012 - 102

2013 - 104

2014 - 107

That's not an encouraging trend in either case.

You're using a full season, a 29-game season, and a 17-game season (while he's trying to get back into game shape) to show a trend. That's not very meaningful. 

It is meaningful when it's in range of his career norms. For his career he's a 14 / 9 / 1 guy. This season he's 13 / 6 / 1.5.  It's reasonable to think his rebounds will go up a bit but outside of that, nothing is going to change. And the chances that he remains healthy after missing 2 of the last 3 seasons and has never played a full season are slim to none. 

Dolfan, bud, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. We'll see I guess, but I think Horford will get back to being a force. I don't think his raw stats will be that nuts because we share the ball so much, but he'll get back to being right there with Teague/Korver/Sap for best player any given night.

Because you have to look past basic raw numbers. 

Rebounds per 100 possessions

2012 - 14.2 (15.7%)

2013 - 12.9 (14.8%)

2014 - 11.3 (13.1%)

Defensive Rating

2012 - 102

2013 - 104

2014 - 107

That's not an encouraging trend in either case.

And now let's see you try to discount his career high in points and FG%

Dolfan, bud, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. We'll see I guess, but I think Horford will get back to being a force. I don't think his raw stats will be that nuts because we share the ball so much, but he'll get back to being right there with Teague/Korver/Sap for best player any given night.

Hey I HOPE that you all are right. I'm just not that naive anymore to expect much improvement from Al. He is who is he and he's never been much more or much less for his career. 

Hey I HOPE that you all are right. I'm just not that naive anymore to expect much improvement from Al. He is who is he and he's never been much more or much less for his career.

Nah I think you are just beaten up from the injury let downs. Even if he can get back to 90% All it would greatly help the team