• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Lowe: Could Dennis Schröder Evolve Into Atlanta’s Answer?

NBASupes

Which one of you posters writes for Grantland? Dennis the Menace is the featured story of the week

The Hawks, even at full strength, always seem to be at least one player away from being truly dangerous. They’re glorious to watch, a whir of precise ball movement and killer shooting, but ultimately nonthreatening against the league’s very best teams.

They’ve been especially thin at the wing since Mike Budenholzer took over as coach two years ago. It hasn’t been a fatal weakness. Kyle Korver is fire incarnate, shooting an absurd 57 percent from deep so far this season, and DeMarre Carroll has scrapped along on both ends in a role that is probably too big for him. Kent Bazemore and Thabo Sefolosha haven’t moved the needle yet, and Lou Williams, cast away for nothing...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/could-dennis-Schröder-evolve-into-atlantas-answer/

image.jpg

Edited by Dolfan23
  • Like 3

Well that's a weird picture. If I didn't know any better (or maybe I don't) Dennis likes to have his hands near players balls! First Cousins is the victim of a vicious blow to the junk and now he's damn near cupping Dirks family jewels. 

Did you read the article. It went into detail with Dennis success as well as our achilles heel including Horford's lack of recent consistency. 

Did you read the article. It went into detail with Dennis success as well as our achilles heel including Horford's lack of recent consistency. 

Yes I did. It was a very good article and nice to see him getting some praise.

As to Horford, yeah it's pretty much what I'm seeing as well.

Opponents have hit 57 percent of shots at the rim against the Hawks, the second-worst defensive mark in the league. Horford is the only Atlanta big that offers even the whiff of rim protection, and he just hasn’t been able to bring it this season; opponents have nailed 58 percent of shots near the basket when Horford is around both the shooter and the rim, per SportVU data — one of the worst marks in the league for any big man.

That’s not all on Horford, of course. The Hawks just don’t have great defensive personnel. Even their on-ball hounds, Teague and Carroll, can get a little spacey off the ball and fall victim to smart cuts. Millsap and Horford are both undersize for their positions, and the Hawks are a little bit worried Horford hasn’t rediscovered his peak game after missing most of last season with his second pectoral tear.

Atlanta is conserving Horford’s minutes, and he just hasn’t shown his usual explosion. He’s attempted only 15 free throws in 17 games, and he’s taking more long 2-point jumpers than ever. Horford has never been a huge free throw guy, but that number is alarming. His rebounding numbers are down, and Atlanta is an ugly 26th in defensive rebounding rate — a cardinal sin for any coach from the Spurs tree.

But the picture is still funny. That was my point of my initial reply.  

Good article - looks like they've been reading the Squawk. They highlighted what most of us see. Dennis is on moving on up.

That picture = hilarious.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Both Sap and Horford has some of the worst close to the basket defensive stats in the NBA and offensively, Sap hasn't been efficient close to the basket at all but outside of that, Sap has been one of the best scoring bigs in the NBA. Horf while efficient is rarely scoring outside of mid range jumpers and dunks. It's a problem. Horf is usually reliable in the paint, great on the move and an elite finisher but not this year. 

Yes I did. It was a very good article and nice to see him getting some praise.

As to Horford, yeah it's pretty much what I'm seeing as well.

But the picture is still funny. That was my point of my initial reply.

@Dolfan23, it's like the world's seeing the same thing we've been seeing. But some of the squawkers are still keeping the blinders on.. lol Edited by willthepureshooter
  • Like 1

• Moderators

@Dolfan23, it's like the world's seeing the same thing we've been seeing. But some of the squawkers are still keeping the blinders on.. lol

I haven't seen anyone deny that Horford hasn't been playing well this season which was all I saw in the article.   I missed the part that said he was always average at everything but assisted jumpers and wasn't a difference maker.   

I did see this.

Schröder’s partnership with Al Horford helps; Horford has been leaving games early in the first and third quarters and reentering as the fulcrum of bench-heavy units, and he’s among the league’s canniest screeners. Horford is an expert at disguising the direction of his pick and flipping the angle at the very last second. If he looks to be setting up to Schröder’s right, the big man defending Horford might lurch that way early, since Schröder would naturally turn the corner in that direction.

If that defender telegraphs his gambit, Horford is brilliant about changing the plan. “That’s just him knowing the game,” Millsap says of Horford. “That’s the kind of player Al is.” Schröder is in on the act, and he knows when Horford has suckered the key help defender:

I haven't seen anyone deny that Horford hasn't been playing well this season which was all I saw in the article. I missed the part that said he was always average at everything but assisted jumpers and wasn't a difference maker.

I did see this.

He's average or worse with his back to the basket. He's average or slightly better as a rebounder at C and well below that now. He's below average as a rim protector. Do you deny any of that being true?

He's very good as a mid-range shooter. He's also good or was good in the PnR but those are assisted points. He's not a guy who can get you points down low like the better post players can do. It's not like this is new information.

And damn if @willthepureshooter is actually agreeing with me in something maybe I gotta question my position lol

• Like 1

Well I for one am not gonna throw the guy to the wolves just yet. If coach Bud is not concerned then why should I be?

Hard to know how Bud feels about him. It depends on if you believe the rumor that an unprotected 1st alone would have gotten Horford last year and maybe this year as well.

I haven't seen anyone deny that Horford hasn't been playing well this season which was all I saw in the article.   I missed the part that said he was always average at everything but assisted jumpers and wasn't a difference maker.   

I did see this.

"That’s just him knowing the game,” Millsap says of Horford. “That’s the kind of player Al is.”"

And that statement is about a whole lot more than just Al and Dennis on the pick-and-roll.

No one said Al is better than Millsap etc. Some people just heavily relativized the poor but slowly getting better form of Al and how him not getting allot of points and rebounds makes him basically a smug to allot of people. People like me tried pointing out that Al is a "big fundamental" type of player. Good at high level proffesionial NBA basketball. Not good at stats.

Also I would like to hear from people who'd they'd like instead of Al Horford on that position. Like really...after thinking hard about what this team is and does.

Edited by DS17Fanboy