• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are in the division lead and 2nd in East

Admin

I'm really happy with how we've played lately.  That said, let's delay the quarter-season title parade and banner-hanging.

(Although that banner would be imminently more relevant than that stupid band banner we currently have hanging.  What a joke.)

• Premium Member

We can't help how our schedule is laid out. Our having an easier schedule now just means it will be a harder one later on in the year. We always talk about the mark of a good team is being able to win the games you should and NOT playing down to the competition and that is exactly what our team is doing.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I don't think we are there, D.  But we will have a chance to prove it pretty soon.  We should beat Indy and have a very nice record coming off this first stretch of the season.  Hopefully we can keep our road record at .500+ as well.  If we do that, we should be one of the top teams in the East at the end of the season.

I don't think we are there, D.  But we will have a chance to prove it pretty soon.  We should beat Indy and have a very nice record coming off this first stretch of the season.  Hopefully we can keep our road record at .500+ as well.  If we do that, we should be one of the top teams in the East at the end of the season.

One thing that most people overlook is scheduling situations and they just see the team name on the jersey.  Every one rightfully thinks that tonight should be a for sure win when they see Indiana.  What they don't see, is this being our 5th game in 7 nights while Indiana hasn't played since Friday.  This is the type of game where previous Hawks teams would get blown out.  I think this team is different and I expect us to get the win tonight.  It just may be a tougher game than expected.

• Moderators

One thing that most people overlook is scheduling situations and they just see the team name on the jersey.  Every one rightfully thinks that tonight should be a for sure win when they see Indiana.  What they don't see, is this being our 5th game in 7 nights while Indiana hasn't played since Friday.  This is the type of game where previous Hawks teams would get blown out.  I think this team is different and I expect us to get the win tonight.  It just may be a tougher game than expected.

Agree with that.  I just want us to view those scheduling situations from both sides.  We have played mostly against losing teams and mostly at home so far this season.  Winning these types of game is a sign of growth from the last few seasons for this team.  Guys like the Spurs have disposed of people like Indy at a very high rate over the years.  I am hoping that a win tonight indicates a new level of resolve from this team under Bud.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

How many teams out there are just THAT much better than us really?

Im willing to give the Raptors the nod by virtue of them beating us soundly twice. And Cleveland is the new Miamj for us. They smoked us but I can see us hanging with them most nights. Until we play them again I will concede to them as well. Thats IT for the East though.

In the West we played the Spurs pretty tight and it was still early for us. I see us winning at home against yhem.

Memphis looks good but we beat them in preseason with our starters sitting the 2nd half so I think over a full game we match them

Golden State is on fire right now and will be a great game to watch. They play well and have the star power advantage over us so I give them the nod

Dallas looks good too and Ellis is developing in lethal finisher for them I think we split with them

Clippers are the type of team that struggles against OUR system. They have stars but we actually match up very well against them. I put us over them

Rockets.... IDK.... they are hard to figure out sometimes. Harden and Dwight have the potential to dominate us but nothing else worries me about them. Its a wash if you ask me.

Trailblazers are the Wests version of us in the fact they

are learning to be a contender. They dont have a superstar but they have all star quality guys just like we do. I think our system gives us the edge against them but we will still probably split with them.

I think we can handle the remainding West teams. Overall I think the WORST we do is go .500 against them which equates to only 15 losses and 2 of which we already have out the way. As long as we can take care of business against the teams we should beat then we will finish in the top 3 of the East. Just my guess

One thing that most people overlook is scheduling situations and they just see the team name on the jersey. Every one rightfully thinks that tonight should be a for sure win when they see Indiana. What they don't see, is this being our 5th game in 7 nights while Indiana hasn't played since Friday. This is the type of game where previous Hawks teams would get blown out. I think this team is different and I expect us to get the win tonight. It just may be a tougher game than expected.

That is true about the scheduling.

Hawks fans are never happy. Im excited about this team. We were third in last year before BOSS went down. So im suprised that we are 2nd in the East at this point. Im happy as long as we beat teams we should beat and we protect our home court. What are we 9-2 at home?  .500 on the road is a bonus. This team is making great strides all without that SUPERSTAR everyone says we need. If we could get Mike Muscala to mature as fast as Denis then I think we would be in a great position. I say Mike over Payne because he doesnt shoot alot of threes and isnt afraid to mix it up down low.

• Like 1

It's really hard for me to say this, since I've been riding this team's nuts ever since the beginning of last year, but here it goes:

This isn't our year to win the title or anything. We're not QUITE good enough.

Having said that, holy guacamole is this team fun to watch! Outside of Cleveland, I think we can hang with anybody. Toronto and MAYBE Chicago are slightly better than us, but that's it. We're a legit ECF team right. now. This year is about teaching the young guys to win, getting Horford back to where he was (defensively, mostly) and going deep in the playoffs.

Healthy Horford + development from Schröder + development from the bigs + draft pick + a solid upgrade on the wing will put us in the title hunt. Basically, we're a year away (only the wing upgrade will be any difficult, IMO), let's enjoy this season though because it's looking like a hell of a ride.

• Like 3

It's really hard for me to say this, since I've been riding this team's nuts ever since the beginning of last year, but here it goes:

This isn't our year to win the title or anything. We're not QUITE good enough.

Having said that, holy guacamole is this team fun to watch! Outside of Cleveland, I think we can hang with anybody. Toronto and MAYBE Chicago are slightly better than us, but that's it. We're a legit ECF team right. now. This year is about teaching the young guys to win, getting Horford back to where he was (defensively, mostly) and going deep in the playoffs.

Healthy Horford + development from Schröder + development from the bigs + draft pick + a solid upgrade on the wing will put us in the title hunt. Basically, we're a year away (only the wing upgrade will be any difficult, IMO), let's enjoy this season though because it's looking like a hell of a ride.

post-5-0-45988500-1337700515_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

• Moderators

They may just be the best team in the East?

Possibly.  I'm really waiting to gauge the Hawks until after the Christmas stretch of games.  I'm cautiously optimistic if you will.  CHI, @CLE, @HOU, @DAL, LAC, B2B vs. MIL, CLE, @UTA, @POR, @LAC, MEM.  Very tough stretch of games through 3 weeks of basketball.  We could be 8-4 through those 12 or 3-9... or 12-0. First true test for these Hawks.

Yes and no. 10-10 against a .400 schedule and 10-10 against a .600 schedule counts the same in the standings, but the latter will be in a much better position once the schedules balance out.

I'm not saying the Hawks are going to crash and burn once the schedule heats up, but I want to see them succeed against the better teams before I start dancing in the streets. I've been down this road too many times as an Atlanta fan.

Not recently you haven't...since johnson left we haven't been beating down the sub .500 teams since like we should have been.

We barely beat teams that weren't that good since Johnson left to see us beating them by an average of 15 points is refreshing cause its been a while

If we handle our business the next 3 games against Philly and Orlando we would be at worst tied with Toronto for 1st place in the East by Saturday as they only play once in that same span. 3 wins puts us at 17-6, they play Indy on Friday so even if they win which they should they will also be 17-6.

Of course they DO play Sunday so it could be short lived but none the less we are closing ground on them fast

• Like 2

200.gif

Is that a nanny-cam on @Dolfan23 and @Spud2Nique after a few shots?  Pretty sure they had an eventful evening.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Chicago is more than slightly better than us. 

Yeah, they're just so deep in their frontcourt.  With Al half-back and Payne apparently incognito, the Bulls would just overwhelm us.

They'd get a good shot from us but no one likes moral victories.