• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I have a STRONG inkling that we probably aren't going to make any moves this season

NBASupes

Well that's good to know. I think we have proven we are willing to stand behind Millsap as a franchise so he's got to respect that.

And you're pretty much of the opinion that unless we make trades with our higher salaried guys and bring back more than we send out that we should be safe from the LT regardless of what we do in FA?

Not really an opinion here, that's more of how the cap works with the current CBA.

To illustrate, Sham has the Hawks at $60m right now and the cap is at $63m. The LT is at $77m. The Hawks need to acquire $17m to reach the LT this year with a maxed out roster (15 players). They could waive some folks and sign up to the cap, then use the Room MLE (~$3m) to get them to ~$66m. At that point, there is literally no other exception available to the Hawks except for trading contracts where they send out less in salary than they receive.

This process will repeat itself next year with an increased cap and an increased LT (where if the Cap increases by X% then the LT increases by sliiightly more than X%...so the gap will undoubtedly increase because the rate will be slightly higher AND because you are pushing a percentage increase on a larger number). The Millsap uniqueness can be thought of as an extra ~$4m on top of the Cap that the Hawks can use. For this past offseason, that would be like the Hawks sitting at ~$67m with no exceptions. But the cap next season will increase, and the gap between the cap and LT will be more than the ~$14m it currently is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Koonin goes on the radio talking up the LT and the Hawks willingness to exceed it but that would really be a facade. The Hawks are neither in a position to be able to exceed the LT nor are they going to go through enough moves to put themselves into this position (unless you believe the NBA works just like NBA2K and trades happen all the time).

Not really an opinion here, that's more of how the cap works with the current CBA.

To illustrate, Sham has the Hawks at $60m right now and the cap is at $63m. The LT is at $77m. The Hawks need to acquire $17m to reach the LT this year with a maxed out roster (15 players). They could waive some folks and sign up to the cap, then use the Room MLE (~$3m) to get them to ~$66m. At that point, there is literally no other exception available to the Hawks except for trading contracts where they send out less in salary than they receive.

This process will repeat itself next year with an increased cap and an increased LT (where if the Cap increases by X% then the LT increases by sliiightly more than X%...so the gap will undoubtedly increase because the rate will be slightly higher AND because you are pushing a percentage increase on a larger number). The Millsap uniqueness can be thought of as an extra ~$4m on top of the Cap that the Hawks can use. For this past offseason, that would be like the Hawks sitting at ~$67m with no exceptions. But the cap next season will increase, and the gap between the cap and LT will be more than the ~$14m it currently is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Koonin goes on the radio talking up the LT and the Hawks willingness to exceed it but that would really be a facade. The Hawks are neither in a position to be able to exceed the LT nor are they going to go through enough moves to put themselves into this position (unless you believe the NBA works just like NBA2K and trades happen all the time).

Good stuff.

That's good stuff right there! I still don't think the pair will sign for cheap enough combined to keep us under the LT and we know we aren't crossing that unless we have a singular billion dollar owner.

So I think *someone* reads the 'Squawk for material...

Can Hawks Sign Monroe AND Keep Millsap, Carroll?

Buddy Grizzard — December 12, 2014 — Leave a comment

There might be only one reason why Greg Monroe is not playing for the Atlanta Hawks. Yahoo! Sports’ Adreian Wojnarowski reported over the summer that the Hawks were one of three teams that discussed trade proposals involving Monroe with the Pistons. Monroe’s agent said two teams offered him a max contract as part of those discussions. Of the teams mentioned by Wojnarowski, the Hawks and Phoenix Suns had the most cap flexibility...

http://hawkshoop.com/can-hawks-sign-monroe-and-keep-millsap-carroll/

picard.gif

This guy is insufferable.

For one, he can't crunch the numbers for this simple scenario. That should be a big red flag that this guy doesn't know what the *bleep* he is talking about as he has to go to Coon. Coon spouts of wrong information of $53.7m w/ Sham and BBInsider #s, which are identical, this scenario should leave $54,040,680. No more, no less. So I'm to either believe Coon was too stupid to calculate this (no), Sham AND BBInsiders are wrong (no), Coon was too lazy to be correct (possible), or Coon is calculating a different scenario than what is proposed in the article (*ding ding ding*** as if the Hawks waive Muscala then we get to the magical $53.7m!!).

There's other cap related errors within there (I'll leave this for the class to figure out!).

But then, if anyone on this board uses critical thinking skills they will be BAFFLED...somehow Monroe is willing to accept $13.7m as a starting salary? Far less than what his max will be, but somehow this makes sense because Monroe (who has other max offers according to Buddy) will eschew that money to sign with the Hawks? Oh but wait! Now there's the bit about signing a 2-year deal with an opt-out, which isn't explained very well and frankly won't matter much here as there has only been one of these deals signed throughout the 3 years of this new CBA (the greatest player in the NBA did that, I wonder why). Toss along that the Hawks will have given up two players on remarkable contracts...this...just...makes...my...brain...hurt.

Someone else could pick this apart more than I can, I just had to take 15 minutes to throw out some frustration on this sun_bespectacled.gif article.