• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

RealGM: Atlanta [possibly] interested in Greg Monroe [as FA in 2015]

NBASupes

No lie. I can't understand how you can ignore a guy who can get his points when he wants from 3' and in.  The fact that he gets his points from there and he has spin moves, up and under moves, straight bull rushes to get him to that spot is AWESOME when you have a team full of shooters otherwise?!!?!!!!

I see the floor being wide open for him to do work 24/7 otherwise our shooters are going to have a field day.

It's like guaranteed scoring.

I guess you don't like Cousins and Randolph much either.

Do you not see how him ONLY being able to score from 3 feet and in would be a problem? Hell even Al Jefferson can score from outside of 3'.  But his offense is by far my smallest concern with him as his defense is atrocious. Again as the Grantland article pointed out, offense only C's on their 2nd contract tend to limit the teams ceiling and handicap them in terms of their cap space. 

I seriously doubt Monroe gets 15m a year. I mean I just can't see any team paying that much for him and he hasn't had his break out season yet.

I think the Hawks can get him for 10-12m....we aren't looking for him to be the leader just to play a role we don't have which provide inside scoring and rebounding. If a team is out there willing to give Monroe 15m that saying they are ready for him to be that star guy....I feel Monroe can be an all star yes but under coach bud because he can develop him into that all star player. Monroe on some other team will more than likely continue to be the same player but it really depends on the coach.

But again on the Hawks with bud here....Monroes future is bright no doubt

Do you not see how him ONLY being able to score from 3 feet and in would be a problem? Hell even Al Jefferson can score from outside of 3'. But his offense is by far my smallest concern with him as his defense is atrocious. Again as the Grantland article pointed out, offense only C's on their 2nd contract tend to limit the teams ceiling and handicap them in terms of their cap space.

He's not going to limit our cap space because no way in hell he's getting paid 15m atleast not from us so it really depends on what he's looking for as far as money. Personally I can't see a lot of teams giving him the 15m you continue to say he will sign for.

Moving on and far as monroes defense goes there's this thing our Hawks head coach bud does call development!!!!!....the squawk can be full of it sometimes! We missed out on Al Jefferson because of this same exact argument of people not believing players can get better! NEWS FLASH Hawksquawk we never get established players they will always have some sort of weakness when they come here but because we have a great coach development is a real thing now...the woody/LD era is done with! Move on and open your eyes, coach bud is a real coach who develops players.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Do you not see how him ONLY being able to score from 3 feet and in would be a problem? Hell even Al Jefferson can score from outside of 3'.  But his offense is by far my smallest concern with him as his defense is atrocious. Again as the Grantland article pointed out, offense only C's on their 2nd contract tend to limit the teams ceiling and handicap them in terms of their cap space. 

Where you see a player not being able to score from 3 feet and in, I see a player who knows his strengths.  Smoove is very effective 3' and in.. but he didn't know his strengths.   Like I said before, you are ignoring all the moves that Monroe has mastered to get him to that three foot shot.  Up and Under... Bull Rush... Spin Move.  This guy has an arsenal of moves to get him to his spot.  We call that  being able to create for himself.  When we already have 4 guys on the perimeter, why do we want one more?  How has that worked out for us in the past?  Horf got range from 12-16 feet... How has Horf and our playoffs worked out?

When the playoffs come and the middle of the floor is wide open and we can't buy a bucket... that's when we need a guy who can go in and work on the inside.  If he gets doubled, even better because now somebody gets an open look.  However, Horf is scared to play inside and while Sap will do it, his real strength is the midrange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWRf3iyRd0

And JTB I love your enthusiasm but Bud isn't going to turn a guy who's s career poor defender into a good one. If he could dont you think Mike Scott would be a good defender? As good offensively as Jenkins is don't you think Bud could have turned him into a 2 way player so he'd actually have value? Bud is a good coach but he's not Thibs when it comes to making players better defensively than they are.

• Like 1

Diesel, read carefully. I'm concerned about how awful of a defender he is. I'm concerned about paying 15 million or more to a 1 way player. Go read the Grantland article again or likely for the first time. Yeah I don't like how limited he is offensively outside of 3' but I'm sure we can scheme around that. But no matter what you do he's a bad defender and that's not the type of player worth a max contract.

Well we need someone to replace Sap after he walks this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not going anywhere unless we have a massive failure in the playoffs and the Hawks don't want him back. Bud loves him though so that's highly doubtful. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well @JayBirdHawk and @macdaddy chime in with your 2 cents and then maybe we'll get somewhere with this topic lol

That's not as much fun as making smart ass comments.   If the subject is still Monroe I must say i've always liked him but now I'm not that excited about bringing him to the hawks.   To me he's not really a center and we are full up on power forwards.  He doesn't stretch the floor like Bud likes so I'm guessing Bud isn't that interested.   But the other thing is with him and Drummond you should have a pretty formidable twin towers but Detroit has sucked the whole time Monroe has been there.  Granted they have a lot of horrible players at 1-3 but still how much of an impact player is he?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That's not as much fun as making smart ass comments.   If the subject is still Monroe I must say i've always liked him but now I'm not that excited about bringing him to the hawks.   To me he's not really a center and we are full up on power forwards.  He doesn't stretch the floor like Bud likes so I'm guessing Bud isn't that interested.   But the other thing is with him and Drummond you should have a pretty formidable twin towers but Detroit has sucked the whole time Monroe has been there.  Granted they have a lot of horrible players at 1-3 but still how much of an impact player is he?

I'm not to big on Monroe myself for the reasons stated.  Drummond is interesting a little though.    For our team setup we need a 7 footer that can run the court, rebound, and block shots.   This kinda narrows down the players in the league that you would be looking at and there aren't too many to begin with and after that they are not available.  Lucas, if he could have played would have been great but apparently Danny and Bud didnt think he was worth keeping and I think the injury factor played a part there.  

• Like 1

Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons got 15 million. If you don't think a 25 year old C who is a nearly guaranteed double double every game then you're crazy. I absolutely promise you he gets 15 million on a cap killing contract.

Well both of those guys were RFAs which typically demands an overpay to pry them from their previous teams. Monroe as a UFA may have cost himself some bucks both from his play and that teams can let the market decide.

His price might fall between Hawes ( slight underpay) and Jefferson (slight overpay) than getting above 15.

Edited by MaceCase

Well both of those guys were RFAs which typically demands an overpay to pry them from their previous teams. Monroe as a UFA may have cost himself some bucks both from his play and that teams can let the market decide.

His price might fall between Hawes ( slight underpay) and Jefferson (slight overpay) than getting above 15.

You have a point about them being RFAs and maybe that affecting their salaries. I highly doubt he'll get less than Jefferson because of his age and his relatively low mileage on his body. I think he'll barely be 25 at that point and you're really not even going to get into his prime years until the last 1/4 of his next contract so someone's going to pay for that "potential" and I think there will be a bidding war. Especially if contracts are going up I think he's guaranteed at least 15 million. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think we'll have to wait and see.  Being an UFA and coming of this season, his value should be at its lowest.  Likewise, Detroit might give him away for a song at the trade deadline if they decide to tank.  

He's not going anywhere unless we have a massive failure in the playoffs and the Hawks don't want him back. Bud loves him though so that's highly doubtful.

He's will cost too much to retain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk