• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Hawks hire Nzinga Shaw as Chief Diversity Officer

Admin

The Hawks named Nzinga Shaw as the organization’s Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer Thursday, a position created following the racial issues that rocked the franchise earlier this year.

According to the Hawks, Shaw will be responsible for developing and embedding diversity and inclusion best practices throughout the organization. She will design a strategic, cross-departmental program that creates deeper cultural awareness and sensitivity. She will serve as a member of the team’s Executive Committee and report to CEO Steve Koonin.

“I am excited to be a member of the Atlanta Hawks and Philips Arena organization at such a pivotal time,” Shaw said in a statement. “My goal as the CDIO is to help our organization continue to rebuild trust and partnership in the Atlanta community, emphasizing civility and sportsmanship in an effort to ensure that everyone can be a fan of the team, attend home games, and so that we can serve as a model for inclusion in the NBA. More specifically, I will lead the charge of creating a strategic framework to help shift the culture so that we can create greater inclusion and engagement with all of our fans and stakeholders.”

Koonin made several promises in an open letter to the team, fans and city of Atlanta in September titled ‘We are very sorry.’ One of those commitments was to hire a chief diversity officer.In September, Hawks co-owner Bruce Levenson announced that he would sell his controlling interest in the team after the discovery of a 2012 email that contained racist comments, including remarks about the fan base and basketball operations. The e-mail was discovered during an internal investigation into racially insensitive remarks about made by general manager Danny Ferry about free-agent target Luol Deng during a June conference call with ownership and management. Ferry has been on an indefinite leave of absence.

Shaw most recently served as senior vice president of Diversity & Inclusion at Edelman, the world’s largest public relations agency. Prior to her work at Edelman, Shaw worked in organizational change and diversity and inclusion at other companies such as Essence Magazine, the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network and the National Football League.

• Like 2

"BaNzinga!"

So, so inappropriate.  Is it MaceCase or MaceFerry?  We need a HS diversity officer apparently.  We cannot foster an environment where these types of jokes are tolerated.

Dolfan clearly misspelled the gentleman's name.  There are waaay too many consonants and not nearly enough vowels for that to be real.  Try again Dolf.

So, so inappropriate.  Is it MaceCase or MaceFerry?  We need a HS diversity officer apparently.  We cannot foster an environment where these types of jokes are tolerated.

Dolfan clearly misspelled the gentleman's name.  There are waaay too many consonants and not nearly enough vowels for that to be real.  Try again Dolf.

Who's name did I misspell? 

First order of business is to fix Ferry's auto-correct feature whenever he types Nzinga.

~lw3

Lol, it probably has a interesting 'auto-corrected' spelling based on his email history.

No kidding. 1 star joke @kg01

Comon baby get it together...u betta than this...dayam.

Eh, not the greatest but in my defense I'm supposed to be more serious during the season anyway so ... there's that.

Also, shouldn't Spidey be saying STTE, "The joke was so bad ... it gave me knee ebola."  We are talking about Dolf, right?

ETA: Why didn't I say "knee-bola"?  Lol

Edited by kg01

Eh, not the greatest but in my defense I'm supposed to be more serious during the season anyway so ... there's that.

Also, shouldn't Spidey be saying STTE, "The joke was so bad ... it gave me knee ebola."  We are talking about Dolf, right?

ETA: Why didn't I say "knee-bola"?  Lol

Watch yourself fool or you might catch a case of 'Debola'!

post-5-0-21850800-1418322225_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think this winning streak has turned the Squawk into a bad sitcom.

This is why we can't have nice things, lol. We have no idea how to act. It's been 17 years since the Hawks won 8 straigh :-0.