• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Bulls

lethalweapon3

Why does anyone care about ESPN at all? I don't get why people even watch the channel. Outside of one or two shows they bury in weekend morning time slots, the content is largely useless buzzwords thrown together for hours.

Well, I don't think it's caring about "The world wide leader in sports" directly. However, when they're the main tv game in town, their treatment of the team indirectly influences other people's opinions of the team. When they're ignored or made fun of, the majority of NBA fans (and fans living in ATL) will widely emulate that behavior and dog on the Hawks or not go to games. If ESPN praises the Hawks, fans perk up and will begin to take notice and start supporting a product that's been deemed worthy by "experts". I also have to feel that perceptions of the team put out by national media also plays into players perceptions of the Hawks. Not to mention it's just nice to get a little pat on the back from time to time for a change.

Not everyone are such independent and intelligent thinkers as Squawkers are.

• Like 2

Why does anyone care about ESPN at all? I don't get why people even watch the channel. Outside of one or two shows they bury in weekend morning time slots, the content is largely useless buzzwords thrown together for hours. 

I care because I believe it has an impact on free agent acquisitions.  Players want to be seen and they want notoriety.  I personally don't care for the channel, but I do recognize that it is a big advantage if you get air time as a team.  Why do you think players are so reluctant to come here?  It's because we are never seen or heard from. 

I also care because I believe it could help with attendance.  Casual fans will be more likely to come to a game if the Hawks are on ESPN and in their mind more often.  It's like free advertising which companies spend millions of dollars on each year.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 3

Actually, I predicted them to win this game also:

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/401462-why-beating-the-better-west-teams-might-be-such-a-challenge/

I'm 3 for 3 so far.sun_bespectacled.gif

It was a solid win. Winning despite getting outrebounded by 17 is pretty impressive. Hoford is really close to being himself again. Brand looked solid... Dennis is shooting poorly almost every game now. Gasol looked like shit on the defensive end.

Lol. Good call on yoyr predictions so far. Hope it doesn't hold true going forward though. I agree on your other points regarding Horford, Brand and Dennis. Dennis' defense and running the team is still good though.

One thing I forgot to mention. Horford had some sick passes last night. The pass he made to Jeff, late in the game, may be the prettiest pass I have ever seen him make.

Those were on the money. He also had one to Milsap and Scott. DMC may have had another. I like this Al at the top of the key thing - it gives us many options: he can shoot it, if the defense closes he can drive by them or if our players make the right cuts to the basket he'll find them. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I think ESPN may finally be waking up to our hot start.  They had some fans stay after the game for an ESPN photo shoot with Ludacris after last night's game. 

Backup SG has been our weakest rotational spot this year and it looks like Bazemore is ready to take hold of that spot.  He looks far more comfortable on offense and his defense is consistent.  Does any one have video of the two impressive blocks he had last night? Him and Thabo make one or two defensive plays per game that just seem impossible to convert.

It will be interesting to see if Thibs overplaying his players will be Chicago's downfall once again.  Can Pau continue to play 36 minutes per game?  I bet him and Deng wouldn't mind being in Atlanta right now. 

You can watch nearly every single action every NBA player did. Just go to the nba.com player profile, go to game logs and there you can click on the numbers in the following columns: FGM, FGA, 3PM, 3PA, FTM, FTA, OREB, DREB, REB, AST, STL, BLK, TOV

Here is an example link for the two blocks you were asking for

Older videos seem to need more time to start.

If you chose another entry point (stats->traditions stats) you can watch vids for the whole season than from one game (example all AG attempts).

This seems not to work correctly on firefox

Edited by rd79
  • Like 2

• Moderators

You can watch nearly every single action every NBA player did. Just go to the nba.com player profile, go to game logs and there you can click on the numbers in the following columns: FGM, FGA, 3PM, 3PA, FTM, FTA, OREB, DREB, REB, AST, STL, BLK, TOV

If you chose another entry point (stats->traditions stats) you can watch vids for the whole season than from one game (example all AG attempts).

What the hell?   Damn.  It's stuff like this that makes me feel like an old man.   I had no idea this existed but it's friggin awesome.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not to sound like an idiot but i'm just not as hung up on our rebounding.   Teams rack up gawdy rebounding numbers against us a lot of times because they getting uncontested defensive boards on misses that we aren't even trying to rebound.   I guess there is a contested rebound stat somewhere.   

• Moderators

Bud On Elton Brand’s play: “To have Elton there, he is an incredible professional. He takes care of himself. He is just one of the best workers and he sets a great example for the entire group. But it’s not a surprise to me.Th e hard part is making decisions when you have lots of guys who can help you and play. We’ll see when Pero (Antić) is healthy and make decisions then.”

Thanks!  I remember you posting these before.  I tried going to the actual play by play of the game and had no luck.

edit:  I will have to try the links again when I get home.  RIght now, I can only hear the audio and the video doesn't show up.

Edited by JETSET

Brand absolutely punk'd Pau a couple times. Man am I glad Brand is on the team again. Baze is playing great. That dude can absolutely sky. Paul Millsap gets fewer calls than Joe did when he was here.

so true on Paul and its not like he avoids contact.

Not to sound like an idiot but i'm just not as hung up on our rebounding. Teams rack up gawdy rebounding numbers against us a lot of times because they getting uncontested defensive boards on misses that we aren't even trying to rebound. I guess there is a contested rebound stat somewhere.

I'm only concerned about teams getting offensive rebounds as it gives them extra possessions. Chicago had 15 offensive rebounds (Hawks 5) - how many points did they score from getting 2nd chances.

• Moderators

I'm only concerned about teams getting offensive rebounds as it gives them extra possessions. Chicago had 15 offensive rebounds (Hawks 5) - how many points did they score from getting 2nd chances.

Good point.  So i looked up opponents offensive rebounding and we are 17th in the league so middle of the pack.   Averaging 11 a game so giving up 15 is definitely a lot.   Suprisingly we are better (although slightly) in this category than Toronto, Memphis, Houston, Portland, Chicago, OKC, Dallas, and GS.   

I just looked it up.  Chicago scored 13 second chance points.  That makes the 86 points allowed look even more impressive when you consider that we gave up 13 on second looks.

• Like 2

Great win last night, every time they cut it to 2-3 we responded.

We can write about it all day long, but our rebounding will remain an overall weakness of this team - but you can't be statistically great at everything ......   yes we lose the rebounding edge almost every night, but at the same time we win the steals and 3pt % every night....  that is the makeup of this team, and it is fun to watch.

• Moderators

I just looked it up.  Chicago scored 13 second chance points.  That makes the 86 points allowed look even more impressive when you consider that we gave up 13 on second looks.

Good one.  Yeah I checked and we are one of the worst teams for opponents second chance points.   Only PHX and BKN are worse.