• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Walter Tavares is one of the best players in La Liga

NBASupes

• Premium Member

What caught my eye in SL is the fluidity of Tavares' stroke. You could really see it, of course, at the foul line. He is one of those rare bigs whose coordination is like that of a guy 6 inches shorter. I think that same talent is part of why he's so nimble in blocking shots.

He is better than Rudy Gobert who is one of the best players in the 2013 NBA Draft. Walt needs to be in Atlanta next year replacing either Antić or Brand.

I wonder how his buyout situation is. If they get his buyout done, I could see him replacing Brand. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He's pretty graceful to be his size. Exciting future

Extremely agile. Not as explosive as Gobert but he's more smart, stronger and superior rebounder. He actually has much better fundamentals even though he has only been playing the game since he was 17.

Hey guys, a movie was made about Edy as well as a local article. Great stuff. @LadyJaybird and @AHF

http://soaringdownsouth.com/2015/01/13/edy-tavares-is-taking-big-steps-toward-an-nba-future-with-the-hawks/

I watched it a few weeks ago, I didn't see this thread. There were a few cool stories, I liked it.

He's pretty graceful to be his size. Exciting future

He's graceful for playing basketball too.

In the film it appears how they found him.

(If I remember well)One member of Gran Canaria's staff for children and younger people used to take a coffee every day at the same bar and he met a german who had some business things in Cape Verde. He told him that he had an enormous neighbor there in Cape Verde, so they were really intrigued and they travelled to Cape Verde.

That was a really cool story.

Then they talked about what happened in Cape Verde, how he reached in the Canary Islands, how he developed, his new life, etc.

He was also very lucky to land there, the Canary Islands (which isn't even Europe sarcastic_blum.gif) must be really easy for a player from Cape Verde to adapt and they have a good young section and fans.

BTW "La Liga" is used just for soccer, in basketball we call the league "ACB", even if "Liga", means league.

Edited by Ebert
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Not as explosive as Gobert but he's more smart, stronger and superior rebounder. 

I wouldn't get too far ahead of things on setting the bar that high.  Gobert averages 12.6 rp36 against NBA competition.  That is very, very good.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get too far ahead of things on setting the bar that high.  Gobert averages 12.6 rp36 against NBA competition.  That is very, very good.

It's easier to get rebounds in the NBA than Europe if you have the measureables due to pace and the style of play. Gobert's rebounding rates in euro per 40 was 9.5 at his peak. Walter's has been 13.8 and this year it's 15RPG with an elite 8.4 RPG. Unreal. Tavares rebounds at an unreal level. He boxes out, has great timing and positioning. His rebounding is comparable to Kevin Love. Doesn't use much athleticism or just measureables. He would be a very good rebounder without the great measureables. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired