• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry is awesome

gsuteke

• Premium Member

So amnesty and having to pay his contract is better than not having to pay a dime for his contract, gaining two 2nd rounders and a possible lottery pick?

You can troll better than this Diesel.  I have faith in you.

IF it's not a part of the cap, I don't consider it "having to pay his contract"... are you an owner or something?

I guess you're booing Detroit for waiving Smoove also right?

I guess you applauded our owners for keeping up a roster spot for Terrell Brandon and Speedy instead of cutting ties and getting better.

The way I see it, if it would have come to Amnestying Joe, Somebody would have picked him up.

• Premium Member

IF it's not a part of the cap, I don't consider it "having to pay his contract"... are you an owner or something?

I guess you applauded our owners for keeping up a roster spot for Terrell Brandon and Speedy instead of cutting ties and getting better.

The way I see it, if it would have come to Amnestying Joe, Somebody would have picked him up.

But what do we gain from that over the move that we made?

And you conveniently leave out the pick discussion. I would love to see you argue that our right to swap picks with Brooklyn this year is worthless.

And no I dont have to be an owmer to recognize that our owners being freed of a 100 million dollars is good for our franchise.

Im not sure why im even responding to these ridiculous posts. Boredom I guess.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

But what do we gain from that over the move that we made?

What I'm saying is that if we got rid of Marvin's 8, Smoove's 13.2... That's 21.2.  We could have gotten the key players that we got with that kind of money... Moreover, the year we traded JJ, there were teams making good offers for smoove, we could have gotten another TPE. 

It seems we've lumped all the failure of Woody's coaching and Injury and inability to choose Crawford over Marvin on Joe?

I think if Joe were in this system, we would be dominant not just very good.

I think it's a disservice to Joe (our only 6 time allstar since Nique) to bash him for not being able to gather talent and not knowing when to cut bait on other players. 

If you trade Smoove and Marvin before Joe...and bring in Bud, I guarantee you that we go farther than this team has gone.

• Premium Member

And you conveniently leave out the pick discussion. I would love to see you argue that our right to swap picks with Brooklyn this year is worthless.

And no I dont have to be an owmer to recognize that our owners being freed of a 100 million dollars is good for our franchise.

Im not sure why im even responding to these ridiculous posts. Boredom I guess.

Well, at least with Ferry out of the picture, we won't trade the pick for Capspace or waste the pick on a first rounder who we will hide overseas.

HOW CONVENIENTLY YOU FORGET.

• Like 1

Well, at least with Ferry out of the picture, we won't trade the pick for Capspace or waste the pick on a first rounder who we will hide overseas.

Nice try. We didn't trade Bebe for cap space. We traded him to get out of Lou's contract. Diesel claus might not understand but you have to give up something of value to get teams to take contracts you don't want. 

And the salary of the coach means absolutely nothing. You think that Bud is the highest paid coach in the league? No, he's just a better coach than anyone we've had in Atlanta in my entire lifetime. 

• Like 2

summary - we amnesty Joe, continue paying him  and get nothing . You feel like this is the best course for the Hawks .  Ferry on the other hand got rid of a declining Joe without using amnesty and got picks and cap space.  

Detroit we found your next GM !!

• Like 3

• Premium Member

summary - we amnesty Joe, continue paying him  and get nothing . You feel like this is the best course for the Hawks .  Ferry on the other hand got rid of a declining Joe without using amnesty and got picks and cap space.  

Detroit we found your next GM !!

I said we had the possibility of amnestying Joe if we felt that the Capspace would be better than his actual play.

I say that knowing that right now, Joe is a ~17, 5, and 4  player playing for a team that has a lot of hands that need touches.

You say Joe is declining.  When he left us, in a different offensive system & without injury, he was an ~ 18, 4, 4. player.  I'll let you do that math on declining.

I'm a better choice for GM of Detroit than Ferry.

All you Ferry Cherry huggers are missing the obvious... BUD DESERVES the CREDIT Here.

I said we had the possibility of amnestying Joe if we felt that the Capspace would be better than his actual play.

I say that knowing that right now, Joe is a ~17, 5, and 4 player playing for a team that has a lot of hands that need touches.

You say Joe is declining. When he left us, in a different offensive system & without injury, he was an ~ 18, 4, 4. player. I'll let you do that math on declining.

I'm a better choice for GM of Detroit than Ferry.

All you Ferry Cherry huggers are missing the obvious... BUD DESERVES the CREDIT Here.

Even if you don't think Joe has declined, do you still think he's worth the contract?

• Premium Member

Nice try. We didn't trade Bebe for cap space. We traded him to get out of Lou's contract.

As I swim through the insults, I see this.  Really Dol??

We didn't trade Bebe for capspace.  We traded Bebe so that we can get out of Lou's contract and Have MORE _____________?

Even if we forget the huge impact that Lou is having in Toronto and if we forget that he was a native Atlantian always doing good works in the community.  We wanted to get rid of Lou for something other than Capspace??  Maybe we wanted to say that John Salmon was once a Hawk... for those trivia heads?  Maybe Ferry wanted to show that he can make trades with people who were not his best friends? 

So Dol you're applauding us using our first round pick as a throw-in to get more capspace?

I see.

• Premium Member

Even if you don't think Joe has declined, do you still think he's worth the contract?

Do I think Anybody is worth any contract?

Keeping Joe would not have been an agreement that he is worth the contract.  Keeping Joe would have been the admission that he was not the problem. Nor was the contract.  Our problems have been rooted out for us by other teams:

1.  Josh Smith.   Funny that Detroit waived him and 24 hours in, nobody has inked him to a min contract.

2.  Marvin.  Dude has not done anything anywhere and we gave up on so many good players waiting on him to "get it".

3.  Woody.  Knicks firing Wood made it clear that Woody is no goody.

4.  Drew.  I felt sorry that Drew was fired in the manner that he was fired.   However, he too is not head coaching material as being proven by Kidd.

Having changed these four elements, we find ourselves winning again.  However, all everbody ever does is claim that it was Joe.  If there were true then in 2012... we would have done better than the first round. In Joe's last season with us, we won 60.6% of our games.  We replace Joe with Korver and we won 53.8%.   Now, we're at a 74% win percentage... The problem wasn't Joe or his contract.

But people will tell you that it was a genius move to get rid of Joe.  Well, it didn't help us bring in top FAs?  We used the capspace on a lot of guys... some missed like Lou Williams and Gustavo Ayón.  But Ferry's a genius.  Please.  Until we see what we get from the swap of trades, this trade is nothing special.  In fact, it's a loss so far because of the things we did after the picks.

You can't arugue the results. Ferry cut bait on every player except Teague and Horford. He did the same with the coaching staff. It is looking like he may very well have drafted the best PG in the 2013 draft with the 17th pick. We are currently the 2nd seed in the East and have beaten five playoff teams in a row on this current winning streak.

The fans I play against in a keeper league are a very mixed bunch; but several of them have said the Hawks are proving to be legit in the East. I cannot remember the last time fans of other teams said that about us...

• Like 1

To add to the L. Williams & Bebe trade, I think one of the main reasons he was traded was to get Schröder more playing time.   Williams playing was cutting into his development.  I believe this is the main reason this trade happen.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You can't arugue the results. Ferry cut bait on every player except Teague and Horford. He did the same with the coaching staff. It is looking like he may very well have drafted the best PG in the 2013 draft with the 17th pick. We are currently the 2nd seed in the East and have beaten five playoff teams in a row on this current winning streak.

The fans I play against in a keeper league are a very mixed bunch; but several of them have said the Hawks are proving to be legit in the East. I cannot remember the last time fans of other teams said that about us...

The key move Ferry made was bringing in Bud.

Even with a 30 something win team we still bested (in my mind) a Pacer team that was the best in the East last year.

That's all about coaching.

Ferry has blown some drafts.  Ferry has mucked up some trades, but while we are winning, he gets all the credit....  Bullsh...  Give Credit to Bud.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To add to the L. Williams & Bebe trade, I think one of the main reasons he was traded was to get Schröder more playing time.   Williams playing was cutting into his development.  I believe this is the main reason this trade happen.

Oh.  How great it is when you can change the story.

We traded Lou in order to have Maximum cash to go after Free Agents.

The fact is that we didn't get any.  So now, we are REACHING for any ole explanation for the trade.

Ferry could have just as easily gone to Bud and said Play Dennis more.

Remember, Mack played ahead of Dennis last year also.  And IMO, Mack is still the better of the two... however, Dennis gets more playing time than Mack (QED).   It's crazy to think that you would need a GM to make a move to deny a coach.... who are supposedly on the same page???

Nope.  Not buying that Reach.

It's not reaching its a fact.  They wanted more playing time for Dennis.  The cash was there to go after free agents.  They didn't use it because they couldn't or didn't want to get the free agents they were targeting.  But the main goal was to get Dennis more playing time.  Besides they did Lou a favor, do you think he would be happy riding the bench?  The answer is no.   He is likely the 6th man of the year and that is because of this trade.  He is getting playing time and I'm sure he is happy that the trade happen now.  As I think the Hawks are happy with the trade now because Dennis is getting playing time and getting better with each game.

• Premium Member

Let's start here.

Atlanta gets John Salmons, who has a contract for $7 million next season that is only $1 million guaranteed if he is waived by Monday, which was obviously the plan all along.

Sports Illustrated said:

The deal will create roughly $4.5 million of cap space for the Hawks, who will look to build around their core of Al Horford, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver this summer. It's not yet clear whether Atlanta is clearing the room to make a run at a particular free agent or if they simply decided that Williams is no longer worth his mid-level salary following his injury.

Peachtree Hoops said:

In addition to the shear dynamics of moving both Williams and Nogueira, there is an incredibly interesting sidebar to this move in the form of Salmons' contract. Due to the terms of his deal, Atlanta assumes the option to waive Salmons and his $7 million deal, and if they choose to do so, they will owe him only $1 million for the trouble. Adreian Wojnarowski was quick to add this in to the details of the report, and with the Hawks seemingly looking to clear cap space, that appears to be the direction of the move

The Redoing History always makes everything seem right but let's remember, Dennis was so far in the doghouse last year that he played 7 minutes in 2 games of the playoffs.  And this is the guy you believe that our GM said, we must move a first round pick and another player for?

Cmon Man.  Stop reaching.

You have obviously forgotten last season.   We shouldn't have resigned Mack if we believed that we had to push Dennis. Becuase Mack played 118 minutes in all 7 games of the playoffs last season. 

Lou wasn't stopping Dennis' growth.  Mack was.

The key move Ferry made was bringing in Bud.

Even with a 30 something win team we still bested (in my mind) a Pacer team that was the best in the East last year.

That's all about coaching.

Ferry has blown some drafts.  Ferry has mucked up some trades, but while we are winning, he gets all the credit....  Bullsh...  Give Credit to Bud.

Key Move, Signing Bud = Yes.

Key Move, Having the cap space to sign Milsap = Yes,

Key move. Trading for Korver = Yes,

Key Move, Drafting Schröder = Yes.

Every GM blows some draft picks. Good to great GMs don't blow them all...

• Like 2