• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Clippers

lethalweapon3

Yeah but it's more like a Friday night with a lot of people off tomorrow.

Our attendance is actually dropping. It was up over 17k at the beginning of the season but now we are down to 15.6k which is still better than last year but damn I wish we had 20k like the Mavs had last night.

There were some horrible weekday games in that stretch (Jazz, 76ers, Magic etc) to kind of skew the numbers. If the team keeps playing like this it'll creep back up.

IMO this game was just as big as game 6 against the Pacers as far as getting those casual fans to slowly turn to the Hawks and they took advantage of it

• Like 1

Sitting atop the division, 2nd in the East, having just defeated the Bulls, Cavs, Rockets, Mavs, and Clippers, all the Hawks "sorely need" is to keep on doing exactly what they're already doing.....

Ay man thats fair. Im very happy and impressed so far, all Im saying is that the end of the last couple of games almost got away from us and we had no answer for the late charges of the opposition. I see us as a contender even without having a "superstar" just like the Pistons of the early 2000's. My thing is even those Star-less Pistons had Mr. Big Shot Chauncey Billups who at the end of the game you knew he could seal the deal in the clutch.. Right now we are depending on the system and we have a different hero on any given night but late in games you need somebody who can step it up a notch and improvise. Im hoping Teague can be that guy for us, I have faith in Al with the last shot, as well as any play we can draw up to get Korver a shot but overall I think we are still searching for that guy to step up for us and hopefully he is already on the roster.

Ay man thats fair. Im very happy and impressed so far, all Im saying is that the end of the last couple of games almost got away from us and we had no answer for the late charges of the opposition. I see us as a contender even without having a "superstar" just like the Pistons of the early 2000's. My thing is even those Star-less Pistons had Mr. Big Shot Chauncey Billups who at the end of the game you knew he could seal the deal in the clutch.. Right now we are depending on the system and we have a different hero on any given night but late in games you need somebody who can step it up a notch and improvise. Im hoping Teague can be that guy for us, I have faith in Al with the last shot, as well as any play we can draw up to get Korver a shot but overall I think we are still searching for that guy to step up for us and hopefully he is already on the roster.

But we did have answers. The Rockets and Clippers both took the lead on us and we fought back to win. And we scored enough on the Mavs even when they tightened up.

We are never going to try and have a guy who gets points on his own. I know some Hawks fans like that type of player but he doesn't fit on this team. This is a team and we score and defend as a team.

The guy who many like is Jamal and he was a big reason why they lost the game during that bad stretch when he kept firing up contested misses. I'm glad we don't have an ISO player like that.

• Like 4

Read a tweet that stated in the last 7 games, Hawks have had 7 different leading scorers. Each scorer, scoring 20+ points. That has to be some kind of record. 

That's awesome. 

Sap 23 vs. ORL

Teague 24 vs. ORL

Horford 21 vs. CHI

Mack 24 vs. CLE

Korver 22 vs. HOU

Schröder 22 vs. DAL

Carroll 25 vs. LAC

There's no greater evidence to the balance and unselfishness of our team than that. Incoming 20+ from Scott?

• Like 4

DMC was a beast!!! Great team win, very proud that they pulled this one out. Been a great string of games.

Crowd was great tonight; towards the end it felt like the crowd was into it like a playoff game.

Surprised to hear that about attendance because when me and my buddy walked in the ticket checker said it was "standing room only" and then they made that exact same statement over the PA during one of the breaks. Looked pretty damn full to me. (I didn't know they would actually allow people to come in and stand, thought you had to have a seat...?)

Good, albeit an ugly win. I was forced to watch the Clippers feed on Ballstreams and it was cringeworthy at times.They went on and on about how Schröder was similar to Rondo and how he couldn't shot. How much it hurt to have Schröder out there lol. He definitely is no sniper out there. Just wasn't looking for his shot tonight as much. The thing I was most excited about is that we won a game againt a high scoring team with a dominant rebounder like Jordan. The amount of second chances we give up at times is frustrating. I know our rebounding problem has a lot to do with personnel, but I still feel like we have to improve.

But we did have answers. The Rockets and Clippers both took the lead on us and we fought back to win. And we scored enough on the Mavs even when they tightened up.

We are never going to try and have a guy who gets points on his own. I know some Hawks fans like that type of player but he doesn't fit on this team. This is a team and we score and defend as a team.

The guy who many like is Jamal and he was a big reason why they lost the game during that bad stretch when he kept firing up contested misses. I'm glad we don't have an ISO player like that.

Dude jamal was 5-19...he shot them right out of the ball game..lotta his misses were in crucial parts of the game too. I love the fact that we have a team that scores and defends as a unit. I've always dreamed about having the Hawks play that way since I was prolly 10 years old. I never thought ANY team would be able to do that in the nba, I thought it was possible in college but not the pros until I saw the Spurs early 2000's teams do it. I mean I guess the showtime Lakers and the late 80's early 90's pistons teams did it but they had stars like Magic and Zeke...We are truly doing it as a TEAM. The whole of our team is truly greater than the sum of its parts...Kudos Hawks on really playing for one another and caring about only the W each and every night.

This is like a dream that I only hope never ends.

Edited by Spud2Nique

Okay... Im not referring to an iso guy, I dont want guys like that either nor would I want a chucker like Crawford on this team esp since he still has to be sub'd out for defense at the end of games. Im not even implying that we HAVE to look outside the roster. I really have a Chauncey Billups esque player in mind. A guy who fits the team concept and plays the right way but when things get tight he is a leader on the floor and gets everyone in the right place and he can knock down the big shot or create an opportunity for a teamate. Or how about this, since we are Spurs East, who is our Manu Ginobili? He always has the ball when the game is tight and either shoot it, drive and finish or drive and kick. He isnt an ISO guy or a chucker but he can make somethig out of nothing. By virtue of being a vet and our PG I would love for Teague to be that guy and he shows flashes but often you can tell his heart is racing a mile a minute during crunch time because he will rush his shot or get blocked because he pumped faked in mid-air or even outright turn it over. Korver is money but he cannot create for himself and teams know that so they can sell out to keep him from shooting. Al and Paul both have the pedigree but get cant handle the ball under duress. I know I mentioned these last few games as examples but lets even take it back to the playoffs. We HAD Indiana on the ropes but couldnt close the deal in both games 4 and 6. Why is that? And whats going to stop that from happening again in the playoffs this year? When things got tight we started playing hot potato with the ball, nobody wanted to take the shot or be THE guy.

Im not trying be negative here, Im happy and enjoying the ride but I can see a trend against the top teams that if they have hope and start to get hot, we become disjointed and the clock is the only thing that saves us. A Leader has to develop on this squad that everyone trusts on the court and not just in the huddle.

I used Billups and Manu as examples because they play/played for teams that are built on a team concept just like us. Tim Duncan is an undisputed HOFer and even he trusts Manu to take the big shots over him most games. That kind of player is very essential when you talk about being a contender

• Like 2

• Premium Member

DMC was a beast!!! Great team win, very proud that they pulled this one out. Been a great string of games.

Crowd was great tonight; towards the end it felt like the crowd was into it like a playoff game.

Surprised to hear that about attendance because when me and my buddy walked in the ticket checker said it was "standing room only" and then they made that exact same statement over the PA during one of the breaks. Looked pretty damn full to me. (I didn't know they would actually allow people to come in and stand, thought you had to have a seat...?)

Phillips was sold out tonight.

Some things to reply about from these posts:

JayBirdHawk has flown south for the Christmas holidays.  I believe she's originally

from some of the islands in the south and she's gone home right now.  She will be back!

Super star?  The Hawks super star just happens to be whoever is hot on any given night.

Truly, basketball is a team sport and Atlanta has a team.  When you have only one, then

what happens when he's sick or injured?

One of the real game changers on our roster and one who came through last night does

not get a lot of mention here or anywhere else.  He is a real pro and I'm so proud that he's

one of us.  Maybe, because I'm The oldest Hawksquawk member, I notice him more than

some.  The old man, Elton Brand.  He's usually not the leading anything but, like a rock,

he's there and solid.

For years, I asked for a "Tractor Trailer" type player.  You remember him?  Guess that

Elton is my answer.  Thanks!

There is a concern about other teams exploding on us in the end of games.  We're still

far from perfect but I know, from what he's said in interviews, coach Bud is aware of this

and he's working on the problem.

Maybe, just maybe, those fans coming out to cheer for their favorite visiting player, as we

had some ladies cheering for CP3 last night, will become Hawk fans and return when that

hero of theirs is not playing. 

If I had told someone that the Hawks would be 1/2 game out of 1st place in the east on

Christmas week, some would have wanted to commit that crazy old man.  Yet, here we are!

I may be crazy, but, what the heck, I'm having a ball!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !  HO!  HO!  HO!

well done "old man"

reply of the thread always comes late

• Premium Member

Reddog, I understand your concern about a late game finisher within the team concept. We do not consistently have that, and although I love everyone helping to step up, in the playoffs having one guy that you know can rise to the occasion is important. Also, I agree that Teague is our most likely in house option in that he can dribble, drive, pass, and sometimes shoot it well.

Ay man thats fair. Im very happy and impressed so far, all Im saying is that the end of the last couple of games almost got away from us and we had no answer for the late charges of the opposition. 

Here's the answer: Scoreboard. They had no answer for our balanced, pass-heavy team and they lost because of it. All of them.

• Like 1

Side note, checked out Peachtree Hoops, that's where Norhtcyde's been in exile. A lot of questionable posts over there like he did here. Praising Joe's teams at every turn, popping his head out for the few losses, head back in the sand for wins smh.

Apparently Bill Simmons thinks Ferry will win EOY and there's a pretty funny narrative about all the excuses the media gives for us winning. Good stuff. After beating arguably the most athletic front line with our backup PG starting versus "the best PG in the game" (wildly overrated if you ask me but whatever) and championship-ring wearing coach, nothing would surprise me with this team.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Reddog, I understand your concern about a late game finisher within the team concept. We do not consistently have that, and although I love everyone helping to step up, in the playoffs having one guy that you know can rise to the occasion is important. Also, I agree that Teague is our most likely in house option in that he can dribble, drive, pass, and sometimes shoot it well.

Thanks and I agree. #playoffTeague gave me hope that Teague finally had that dog in him that he wanted the ball in big moments. Its one thing for the opponent to get hot late but its another when we start turning the ball over or forcing our Big's to shoot 3's as the shot clock runs down because no one steps up and says "give me the ball I got this, get to your spot and I will find you." It doesnt take a star player to do that, just a leader who the team trusts in big moments. Every champion has that.

That being said. Toronto doesnt play again until Saturday which means we have a chance to Tie their record on Friday against Milwaukee and if we handle our business again the next night we can still be no worse than tied for 1st place in the East. When is the last time we could say that this fsr in to the season? Lets go Atlanta

I think the attendance will take care of itself, especially if they keep winning. Until the Falcons and Bulldogs are done playing, pro basketball will always take a backseat in this town. Until someone else starts hoisting up trophies to draw attention away, that will ALWAYS be the case here. Football is king and everyone else is vying for the Intercontinental title. 

That's why last night's win was so vitally important. There is still a large (I mean Rosie O'Donnell sized large) contingent of folks here waiting on the other shoe to drop. They were waiting for the letdown last night to shout 'same 'ole sorry Hawks' on the way out of Philips Arena. I wouldn't care so much about them if they weren't such a large percentage of folks who are in position to buy tickets here. You know them as the casual sports fan who only show when a superstar or championship-level team is playing; with the one exception being, of course, football games. Only this time, the Hawks didn't give them a reason to turn away and shop for the latest Lebron or Kobe sweatshirt.

I would say that walking out of that place last night felt great though. I saw very few guys in Clipper gear and that's a far cry from years' past when you spent as much time shouting at them as you did the refs...or Osh...or LD...or Joe...or....

Edited by Dejay