• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why some on here think Payne will be a flop?

Blunt91

I have been reading some of the threads recently and over the last month. What I have notice is that some people speak of Adreian Payne as if he is or will be a bust.  I have read everything from Muscala will be a better than him, Payne is not Athletic to Walter Tavares showing better IQ than Payne during the Summer league games.  My question is if Payne is still this Raw after 4 years in college, why did we draft him?

Payne just need time to develop and learn the offense. He will be fine. They are bringing him along slowly. He is still Marcus Fizer too me. The good and the bad. Just hope he is a lot more healthy than Fizer was.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

People on these boards are just overcritical of any of our draft picks. Typical Americans... want everything to be ready to go NOW. We were ready to sell Schröder (myself included) to the highest bidder (which most thought was an expiring deal + 2nd round pick) just because he didn't come out of the box ready to go. These guys need time to develop, especially at the spots we drafted these guys. PATIENCE.

• Like 4

People on these boards are just overcritical of any of our draft picks. Typical Americans... want everything to be ready to go NOW. We were ready to sell Schröder (myself included) to the highest bidder (which most thought was an expiring deal + 2nd round pick) just because he didn't come out of the box ready to go. These guys need time to develop, especially at the spots we drafted these guys. PATIENCE.

I told you guys that was silly from Day 1. Dennis is still our best talent but even now, he has away to go.

• Premium Member

Just like the 2 above me said, they are just developing him. We don't need him right now so why play him? He is a mid first round pick playing on a deep team with exceptional chemistry.

He will be fine whenever we need him. I like his versatility, he will eventually be able to give us outside shooting and rebounding.

Not that his presence had anything to do with it, but the one time he actually comes in the game early we lose a home game to Milwaukee by 30. Bud just isn't going to go out of his way to mess up our rotations for Payne.

• Like 1

I have been reading some of the threads recently and over the last month. What I have notice is that some people speak of Adreian Payne as if he is or will be a bust.  I have read everything from Muscala will be a better than him, Payne is not Athletic to Walter Tavares showing better IQ than Payne during the Summer league games.  My question is if Payne is still this Raw after 4 years in college, why did we draft him?

I think Payne will be fine. I just wonder how he'd fit in the rotation. I can't see Antić and Millsap leaving next season and they still have Horford and Scott under contract next season so I'm wondering would he literally be playing next season as much as Muscula did this season.

For somebody to be drafted as a 1st round pick, I figured there could be a situation where he could be a legit contributor off the bench if he isn't being groomed to start, not until his 3rd season with the way things are looking. Scott's contract is not guaranteed for the 2016-17 season. 

We're developing him so that we can maximize on his potential 1-2 years down the road. It's similar to what the Spurs do, because we're a team that emphasizes player development. If Schröder could improve this drastically in one year, imagine what Adreian Payne could do next year. It's all about patience.

Edited by ATLHawks3

• Moderators

I think the impatience is both with his draft slot and his age (2 years older than Dennis).  Mike Scott was a similar age coming out and seriously improved over time with these coaches so give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

I think the impatience is both with his draft slot and his age (2 years older than Dennis).  Mike Scott was a similar age coming out and seriously improved over time with these coaches so give them the benefit of the doubt.

Right. despite his age, he's still a rookie. There's not room for him right now. Why rush? We have the best record in the East. Don't mess with anything. He played 4 years under Izzo... He must have good work ethic and want to get better...

No, that sounds entirely too logical.  Draft slot maybe, but that has more to do with him just being a 1st rounder rather than where exactly he was selected.  I think it has more to do with him being lumped in with Jenkins (derailed by injury) and Bebe (Euro-stash project) not panning out.  He's fighting an uphill battle to begin with and not playing only serves to confirm criticism of Ferry's talent evaluation.

• Moderators

No, that sounds entirely too logical.  Draft slot maybe, but that has more to do with him just being a 1st rounder rather than where exactly he was selected.  I think it has more to do with him being lumped in with Jenkins (derailed by injury) and Bebe (Euro-stash project) not panning out.  He's fighting an uphill battle to begin with and not playing only serves to confirm criticism of Ferry's talent evaluation.

Draft slot I think is important there.  He was only 1 spot away from a lottery pick and our highest pick since 2007 when we drafted Horford.  That definitely plays into the expectations, IMO, particularly for people who see us having a need for more rebounding and our #15 pick PF/C racking up DNP-CDs.  

• Moderators

I do shed half a tear for the first-rounders on crappy/underwhelming/desperate teams who get thrust into significant minutes when it's clear they could benefit from a lot more developmental seasoning, far away from the NBA floor.

Elfrid (10th), LaVine (13th), Bojan (27th), Shabazz (24th), Exum (5th), Hood (23rd), and Hairston (26th) all come to mind. 

~lw3

• Like 1

I think Payne will be fine. I just wonder how he'd fit in the rotation. I can't see Antić and Millsap leaving next season and they still have Horford and Scott under contract next season so I'm wondering would he literally be playing next season as much as Muscula did this season.

For somebody to be drafted as a 1st round pick, I figured there could be a situation where he could be a legit contributor off the bench if he isn't being groomed to start, not until his 3rd season with the way things are looking. Scott's contract is not guaranteed for the 2016-17 season. 

He will replace coach Elton Brand.

• Like 1

I see the problem as being an age/experience perception issue. Typically players with high levels of talent/potential enter the draft at a younger age. Often those who stay in school aren't seen as as great of players because if they were, they would've already entered the draft.

Now, the theory goes that the players who stayed in school would receive more instruction, so what they lacked in talent they made up for in BBIQ. One selling point for the older players who are drafted in the first round is that because of their extended training and age (body development),they are more "NBA ready" so they can contribute more immediately rather than having to wait while a younger player develops on the Club's watch.

My thinking is that Payne was either sold to us with that in mind, or we at least put those associations on him ourselves. Since he hasn't lived up to that idea of contributing right away like we thought, he must be a bust.

He certainly isn't the player I would've wanted DF to draft, but I think until he gets an opportunity to contribute regularly, you can't really deem him a bust. If he never gets that chance, or does and sucks, then yeah he'll be a bust.

The biggest issue to me is that by being of an older age for a rookie, and still not even getting real playing time yet, that the amount of time of the team getting prime contributions before his body begins it's decline is increasing shortening. It's really a matter of how much benefit you can expect to get out of the investment, and the less he plays the less that return on investment is likely to provide.

It's less about Payne but more about the players in front of him who are more experienced and know Bud's system.

Not concerned.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Payne will (eventually) be a combination of Pero's shooting and Brand's length on defense. He'll board better than either of them. Give the kid some time, he'll be nasty off the bench for us in a few years, perhaps overtaking Sap and moving him to the 6th man when he starts slowing down.