Hammerin' Hawks?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

~lw3

• Moderators

While I do appreciate all these SuperFriends and Avengers and Justice Leagues banding together, I'm with a lot of folks that won't be satisfied with one fractured group handing over responsibility to another. As long as there's one gal/guy owning at least, say, 75% of the franchise, I'll be happy.

~lw3

I agree. It's like a fry cook trying to buy Prada. If don't have the checkbook to buy the whole deal, then just don't even try. i don't mind small investors, but all these minority owners are just make for too many cooks in the kitchen.

• Like 2

• Moderators

H_NDY

P__RN_M_

S__T_DJ_

"Would you like to buy a vowel?"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12152838/hank-aaron-atlanta-hawks-bidders

Sources told ESPN.com that the group is spearheaded by Memphis Grizzlies minority owner and vice chairman Steve Kaplan, Indonesian billionaire sports and media magnates Erick Thohir and Handy Poernomo Soetedjo and former Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien, who is the current managing general partner of DC United in MLS. ‎ The deep-pocketed consortium, sources say, also includes a select and diverse group of prominent investors, including Aaron and other Atlantans.

~lw3

• Premium Member

While I do appreciate all these SuperFriends and Avengers and Justice Leagues banding together, I'm with a lot of folks that won't be satisfied with one fractured group handing over responsibility to another. As long as there's one gal/guy owning at least, say, 75% of the franchise, I'll be happy.

~lw3

Yeah I agree, so many names being tossed around. I don't want a game of horse being the deciding factor in where our money is spent.

The two good things I see are we have a lot of players who haven't really been high on the Hawks suddenly wanting to own us. We also have ATL guys like Hank wanting to be involved. Both of those factors help keep me confident we stay in Atlanta and that our team is starting to get a lot of respect.

Hopefully all of these names basically morph into one and we wind up in good hands and a big wallet.

Edited by cam1218

NO NO NO!!!

Levien is a cancer and has run two NBA franchises into the ground. Memphis has a 25 person ownership group...that is NOT what we need here in Atlanta! I appreciate everything Hank has accomplished in his life but how does that qualify him to run a basketball team? Indonesian billionaires and hedge fund guys don't need a couple million from an ex-baseball player, this is a pure play to try and win over fan sentiment in Atlanta. I'm not buying it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't trust Levien that he wouldn't try and make changes to put "his" guys in. It doesn't look like he's ever worked with Bud, Ferry, or Koonin before and right now those are the right guys for this organization.

Yup. And I've talked about Levien before:

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/399878-former-griz-ceo-jason-levien-interested-in-buying-hawks/

He is baaaaaaaaad news.

NO NO NO!!!

Levien is a cancer and has run two NBA franchises into the ground. Memphis has a 25 person ownership group...that is NOT what we need here in Atlanta! I appreciate everything Hank has accomplished in his life but how does that qualify him to run a basketball team? Indonesian billionaires and hedge fund guys don't need a couple million from an ex-baseball player, this is a pure play to try and win over fan sentiment in Atlanta. I'm not buying it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't trust Levien that he wouldn't try and make changes to put "his" guys in. It doesn't look like he's ever worked with Bud, Ferry, or Koonin before and right now those are the right guys for this organization.

Yep, this is clearly a push to get public support when Hank probably has like 3.5% share in the ownership group.

• Like 2

~lw3

You do realize that there are maybe 3-4 owners in the entire NBA that own 75% or more of their franchise?

This particular group has two billionaires in Erick Thohir and Handy Poernomo Soetedjo backing them.  Steve Kaplan and Jason Levien are the lead dogs.  Kaplan currently owns about 14% of the Grizzlies.  

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/5/19/5731858/memphis-grizzlies-front-office-resigned-robert-pera

It looks like Jason is the guy that put Hollinger and Joerger into place in Memphis.  I'm curious as to what happened between he and Pera that caused him to resign.  Was it all due to Pera dismissing Stu Lash?

I will say this.  This guy has a checkered past, but Memphis is A LOT better off now than what they were under Wallace/Hollins.  They are smarter in their approach to how they get things done, and right now, they look like the 2nd best team in the Western Conference.  

There is always more to the story as well.  http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2014/5/19/5731876/trouble-in-memphis-lash-dismissed-levien-to-resign

There was, according to Chris Vernon of 92.9 ESPN in Memphis, a real clash involving Levien and Pera over the dismissal of Assistant GM Stu Lash. Mincberg, mentioned above, is now the lawyer for Robert Pera and is possibly using this connection to leverage his way into a larger role in basketball operations. Vernon confirmed on his radio show that both Lash and Levien are indeed gone from the Memphis Grizzlies.

The other interesting thing here is that Steve Kaplan is part owner in the Grizzlies.  He owns about 14% of the Grizzlies.  If he is willing to be in this group with Levien, he must not have an issue with what Levien did in Memphis.  His issue could be more with Robert Pera, the lead owner there.  

What I'm seeing here is that Levien is an analytics guy, and he may be getting some blow back from NBA traditionalists, such as Doug Collins in Philadelphia, because of that.