• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's early but... Is Bud a better coach than Pop?

Admin

Honestly, Bud is the most talented coach in the NBA but is he the best? No. That belongs to Pop. Carlisle, Doc, Thibs also belong in the discussion. Bud is with D. Casey, Q. Snyder, J. Kidd and J. Hornecek as the new wave of elite coaching talents. I am not buying Steve Kerr but his assistants are elite though.

Doc?

He is having a tough time motivating the team he currently has. Besides, those  Celtic teams should have won more than 1 title.

Doc is overrated.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

I don't mind some of you guys taking your time to come to the conclusion that Bud is better than or at least equal to Pop. Just like it took you guys a while to come around on Pero, on Schröder, on DMC, on Thabo, on Korver etc. etc. etc. You'll get there and then you'll come back and say "Damn, The Don was right". 

I was ahead of the curb on Pero, Schröder, DMC, Thabo, and Korver.  But, putting Bud in a comparison with Pop is like saying anybody is a better Hawk than Dominique.  When it is the truth it won't be debatable. 

• Moderators

Bud has a long way to go to challenge Pop's career.  

Let's just be happy that Pop helped train a guy who today looks like he could be the best coach in Hawks' history.  The Spurs can be happy that Bud helped shape the Spurs into the 5 ring machine.

As someone who has been a big admirer of the Spurs (although not an actual fan) for many years, I love us plucking this sparkling jewel from the Spurs crown and bringing him to Atlanta!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Reverse possum theory??

What are the chances that PART of the reason for this unbelievable start is good teams placing less importance on the regular season?  There is no doubt that Bud is good, but we know basketball is one of the sports least impacted by coaching. 

And before I get killed please notice I said PART.  Most of this I think is the result of team chemistry.  The Hawks have a bunch of guys that compliment each other and it is clear they prefer to play as a unit.

Reverse possum theory??

What are the chances that PART of the reason for this unbelievable start is good teams placing less importance on the regular season?  There is no doubt that Bud is good, but we know basketball is one of the sports least impacted by coaching. 

And before I get killed please notice I said PART.  Most of this I think is the result of team chemistry.  The Hawks have a bunch of guys that compliment each other and it is clear they prefer to play as a unit.

What?!?!  Coaching is everything in the NBA.  Basketball is one of the most impacted by coaching.  

• Like 1

Just to clarify I'm not saying Bud's career even remotely lines up with Pop. Pop is arguably the best coach of all time. 

What I'm saying is that I don't know that Pop would be able to do more with this Hawks bunch than Bud and that is a legit discussion. 

• Moderators

What I'm saying is that I don't know that Pop would be able to do more with this Hawks bunch than Bud and that is a legit discussion. 

This run is so amazing, it is hard to imagine anyone doing better with this Hawks bunch even if you could put a staff together with Pops, Red, and Phil and a half dozen of their favorite assistants.  Combine this with last year and maybe you could make an argument but I just don't care enough about it to worry about.  Pops is proven ultra-elite in my mind and Bud is showing out at that level right now.  I don't care which is "better," I just want to see Bud continue!

• Like 2

This run is so amazing, it is hard to imagine anyone doing better with this Hawks bunch even if you could put a staff together with Pops, Red, and Phil and a half dozen of their favorite assistants.  Combine this with last year and maybe you could make an argument but I just don't care enough about it to worry about.  Pops is proven ultra-elite in my mind and Bud is showing out at that level right now.  I don't care which is "better," I just want to see Bud continue!

I agree I only want this to continue and Bud to get better and better. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Our current run is so amazing it's tough to say that anyone EVER could be doing a better job. We've won against playoff teams, we've won without our best player, we've won back to backs, we've won without our starters. If there was any stat that could show us what % of the time the Hawks have had the lead during the streak I think it would be comparable with the best teams in history over a 25 game stretch. We've not only won most of our games but a vast majority of the quarters too. Crazy stuff.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1