• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Celtics

lethalweapon3

How can anyone not be happy with double-digit wins when we rested our 40-60% of our starters in each of these last 2 games? Yeah we had some ugly ball but good grief the bench guys aren't used to playing with the other starters that much and vice versa so of course there's going to be issues. I am stunned that we won both of these games as the Sixers and Celtics have knocked off good teams recently and we handled them while resting very important players to get ready for our big road games Friday and Saturday night.

Insanely impressive and very proud of these Hawks!!!

Because there is nothing to complain about since we are winning games at a historic rate in historic fashion, so there has to be something to nitpick and be negative about.

Don't worry - the first game we lose there will be an explosion from keeping it bottled up.

Let's not forget by giving more playing time to the bench guys, this gives them more in-game experience so they can be better prepared further on in the year as well as the playoffs.

• Like 2

Good win. Happy we survived Bud's bullshit. The average person works 5 days a week, 8 hours a day in a row in this country. Don't agree with this type of stuff but moving on.

This is a truly idiotic take. But that's your thing so I like that you're going with the bit.

• Like 1

I really think - resting top guys on these road games (even though they weren't big-time teams) - and the fact that the guys playing came through and won both games easily - HAS to give Coach Bud big-time confidence in our guys...and big-time confidence from our top players to coach Bud.

He showed confidence in them...that is Huge.

They interviewed Paul Millsap at the end of tonight's game and said "we know you don't like to sit out games" (the game before) and Sap said something like "no-never" - with a bigass smile on his face. :-)

• Like 3

These two games just reinforces Buds 'next game on the schedule' mantra. Although he rested starters, the guys who played didn't look past Philly or Boston to Friday's Raptors game. Especially since they beat us both games this season.

True Professionals.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Sorry DJ I know this one was tough on you tonight with us beating your beloved Celtics.

Those were the old days - once they got rid of DJ and Bird I got religion and became a Hawks fan.

Seriously though, as somebody who sat in the old Boston Garden and watched Bird, DJ, Parrish, McHale play, I have to think that the "current" Boston fans are getting a bit p!ssed.

To be honest (as a Boston fan then) - the "epic" series against the Hawks (Bird vs Nique) was just a minor bump in the road on our way to bigger things.

Hawks gave us a bit more trouble than we expected - but we won and moved on.

Edited by DJlaysitup

These two games just reinforces Buds 'next game on the schedule' mantra. Although he rested starters, the guys who played didn't look past Philly or Boston to Friday's Raptors game. Especially since they beat us both games this season.

True Professionals.

The Toronto game is more important than the Chicago one. You don't want to go into the playoffs feeling that a potential opponent has been owning you.

• Like 2

Good win. Happy we survived Bud's bullshit. The average person works 5 days a week, 8 hours a day in a row in this country. Don't agree with this type of stuff but moving on.

That is a completely short-sighted statement to make. Resting our starters and giving our bench guys some more playing time shows how impressive Bud's system is. And plus we're playing 4 games in 5 nights with the last 2 games against two of the tougher teams to beat in our conference.

• Like 4

I think it was a two-fold strategy by Bud (and probably Ferry behind the scenes).

1st - rest approximately half your first team each night and see how the team does. This can be important later if a guy or two gets in foul trouble and you have to mix guys.

2nd - it may have been an audition for a couple guys to see how they could do. The trade deadline approaches and it may be that Ferry/Bud realize we could use another rebounder.

Just guessing.

• Premium Member

And people say Hotlanta is a needlessly negative...talk about literally finding something to bitch about.

• Like 2

How can anyone not be happy with double-digit wins when we rested our 40-60% of our starters in each of these last 2 games? Yeah we had some ugly ball but good grief the bench guys aren't used to playing with the other starters that much and vice versa so of course there's going to be issues. I am stunned that we won both of these games as the Sixers and Celtics have knocked off good teams recently and we handled them while resting very important players to get ready for our big road games Friday and Saturday night.

Insanely impressive and very proud of these Hawks!!!

Uh sorry I'm looking at the big picture here and Payne is obviously a bust. WAKE UP SHEEPLE {/sarcasm}

• Premium Member

What now?? You really have a problem with him resting guys when we play 4 games in 5 nights and you're comparing that to a regular job?? I've tried to understand you but you've just lost me here with this nonsense. 

Resting starters plus playing the bench extra minutes during our toughest stretches travel-wise is smart any way you slice it. The bench has carried this team during times this season so Bud is rewarding them with extra playing time and resting our best players for the key back to back against our main competition in the East... Regardless, looking at the schedule there isn't any other stretch of the season like this so I doubt we see this again unless we are nearing the end of the season an have already locked up the top seed. Four games in five nights and ALL on the road is ridiculous, and Bud's decision has worked out perfectly.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1