• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Most impressive team Atlanta has ever had....

KenDixon

but unless they take it to the playoffs, they will never be given credit. The only thing that makes people pay attention to teams like this are championships. We don't have any bonafide superstars. We played the second/third best team in the East last night and were relegated to regional TV on a national TV night. 

• Like 1

People are taking notice without the 'superstar'. Attendance is up. Part of that is the national media is really taking notice of the team. NBA TV is in love with the Hawks. ESPN is now getting onboard. Even Stephen A said the Hawks are his favorite in the East now.

Just like the Braves in 91 people will come around. Believing in Atlanta sports team is a labor of love and never-ending frustration. However this Hawks team will be embraced by the city very soon.

• Like 3

People are taking notice without the 'superstar'. Attendance is up. Part of that is the national media is really taking notice of the team. NBA TV is in love with the Hawks. ESPN is now getting onboard. Even Stephen A said the Hawks are his favorite in the East now.

Just like the Braves in 91 people will come around. Believing in Atlanta sports team is a labor of love and never-ending frustration. However this Hawks team will be embraced by the city very soon.

I'm speaking more in national terms. The teams that won championships that are most like the Hawks in the past 40 years are the 79 Sonics and the 2004 Pistons. The Sonics won at a downtime for the NBA before Magic and Bird turned it around. The Pistons are known as much for who they beat in the finals as much as for who they were as a team. My point is that while the Hawks are a joy to watch as a fan of the team (probably more so than if they actually had a Lebron, Kobe or Kevin D.) People who have no investment in the team, just want to watch stars. I can tell you as a guy who lives outside the US. The NBA doesn't market teams, but players.

• Premium Member

I'm speaking more in national terms. (a) The teams that won championships that are most like the Hawks in the past 40 years are the 79 Sonics and the 2004 Pistons. The Sonics won at a downtime for the NBA before Magic and Bird turned it around. The Pistons are known as much for who they beat in the finals as much as for who they were as a team. My point is that while the Hawks are a joy to watch as a fan of the team (probably more so than if they actually had a Lebron, Kobe or Kevin D.) People who have no investment in the team, just want to watch stars. I can tell you as a guy who lives outside the US. (b) The NBA doesn't market teams, but players.

a) Interesting that you'd leave out the 2013-14 Spurs... is there a reason for that?... just curious.

b) True, though I don't know that I'd say they're unique in that way.

I take note that 2-3 weeks ago the conversation as I recall was, "Look at how the Hawks are doing... wonder if they'll get any players in the ASG," to "Look how the Hawks are doing... wonder how many players they'll get in the ASG."

Winning forces people to pay attention, of course... and with it, "good" players like a Tony Parker or a Manu Ginobili or a Kawhi Leonard incrementally get more and more elevated in the public conscience through the hype machine you noted... I think that with playoff success, we'd see the same occur for our starting five.

Even Stephen A said the Hawks are his favorite in the East now.

If he said that, then he's just flip flopping. Just this morning he was saying that if the Cavs are running on all cylinders, then they would beat the Hawks, and that was how he expects it to play out in the playoffs.

But to be honest, I'd be more worried if that bag of hot air were on the ATL bandwagon anyway.

• Premium Member

The NBA is a machine that's been running a certain way for a long time.  We all know how they market the game and choose games for prime time.  Teams kind of have to prove who they are before the NBA and the media includes them.  

What exactly have we proven over the last 7-8 years?  Can we blame them?  Honestly, I'm not mad.  It's hilarious that we're beating the snot out of everybody and getting no coverage.  It's the ultimate revenge and makes them look stupid. Moreover, I've watched regional Hawks broadcasts for the entirety of my 30-year fandom.  I prefer it and don't care who else sees my team.

Also, I don't like how people use the word "star."  You hear certain names (LeBron, Kobe, CP3, Melo, Durant, etc)...and IMMEDIATELY some people associate that with all sorts of negativity...

• Selfishness
  • Isolation basketball
  • Flashy substance-lacking basketball
  • Losing lottery basketball
  • Volume scoring
  • Bandwagon fans
  • Media bias  

And all that creates some very shitty, one-sided, inflexible, nonobjective, and narrow-minded conversation.  At the same time, no matter how much some may dislike "star players," it doesn't take away from the fact that these players are GODLY good.  It also doesn't change the fact that TALENT WINS GAMES.  You've got to put the ball in the basket.

...and again, twisting the conversation, some people take that to mean the MOST talented team will ALWAYS win or you NEED the most talented players to win BIG games.  It's such a useless ball of tangled wires that's ridiculously difficult to sort out.  The bottom line is, talent wins games and we have talent.  Though while some people (myself included) doubted the collective talent of this squad, I don't know of many people who believed this was championship quality team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

@Wretch the same can be said about the Wizards, raptors, even the Bulls....these teams haven't done anything. The Bulls have went to the ECF one time back in 2011 and that was it.

Eh...true and not true, but you're mostly right.  Going back to the point about how the NBA markets players - Derick Rose and the Bull's story is a draw.  They also made the ECF's and that gives them "contender" consideration.  They were expected to be very good this year, especially after adding Gasol, and they are.  Hell, as a fan of the game, even I want to see what they do.  So of course they're going to get attention.

The Wiz are a young team that's maturing - and that's always interesting (and yes, Wall is also a guy the media can key on).  With Toronto, they made a 180 after moving Rudy Gay and were expected to be one of the top teams in the East this season.  That's an interesting story and I'm sure the NBA also appreciates the fact that they're in Canada.  And while both teams haven't done anything special...they did make it further than we did last year - and we barely made the playoffs.  Couple it with our history, is any of this really surprising?

Surely, it's not fair...and surely we'll get more exposure next year and more respect (which we are getting plenty of right now), but I'm not going to sit here and act like I don't understand.

Edited by Wretch

Eh...true and not true, but you're mostly right. Going back to the point about how the NBA markets players - Derick Rose and the Bull's story is a draw. They also made the ECF's and that gives them "contender" consideration. They were expected to be very good this year, especially after adding Gasol, and they are. Hell, as a fan of the game, even I want to see what they do. So of course they're going to get attention.

The Wiz are a young team that's maturing - and that's always interesting (and yes, Wall is also a guy the media can key on). With Toronto, they made a 180 after moving Rudy Gay and were expected to be one of the top teams in the East this season. That's an interesting story and I'm sure the NBA also appreciates the fact that they're in Canada. And while both teams haven't done anything special...they did make it further than we did last year - and we barely made the playoffs. Couple it with our history, is any of this really surprising?

Surely, it's not fair...and surely we'll get more exposure next year and more respect (which we are getting plenty of right now), but I'm not going to sit here and act like I don't understand.

If you want to go by playoff history the Wizards and raptors are much worse than ours....look at the Bulls after jordan that franchise has been putrid. At some point the shit has to be called what it is, the superstar effect that's it man.

• Premium Member

If you want to go by playoff history the Wizards and raptors are much worse than ours....look at the Bulls after jordan that franchise has been putrid. At some point the shit has to be called what it is, the superstar effect that's it man.

Not disagreeing with you at all.  Actually, if you look at playoff history, then there are only about 2 or 3 teams that have had more overall appearances in the whole of the league (Boston, LA, and either Philly or NY I think...).  But the media can't market "the team with the most playoff appearances!" or "the team that almost won the first round last year!" or "the team led by the most underrated PF in the game, Paul Millsap!" or "the team that plays basketball the right way!"  

Nobody cares until you start kicking ass.  Then they want to see your team play other good teams and they want to know if their team can beat yours.  Even now, how many of us are looking forward to that Golden State game on the 6th of Feb.  Or are we eagerly awaiting that Brooklyn game next weekend?  I've been honking this horn for about 20 years now, but THIS is what people want to see. It's not so much about the style or the players on the floor.  It's about the marquee matchups and, for whatever reason, we are now a marquee team.

Fans want to see "stars" and "contenders."  Before this improbable turnaround, we didn't figure to offer much in the way of either.  Things will be different next year.

Edited by Wretch

If he said that, then he's just flip flopping. Just this morning he was saying that if the Cavs are running on all cylinders, then they would beat the Hawks, and that was how he expects it to play out in the playoffs.

But to be honest, I'd be more worried if that bag of hot air were on the ATL bandwagon anyway.

Stephen A. is an idiot. Just curious when did he say this about that Cavs considering today is Saturday and his horrible show First Take isn't on on Saturday so I assume he said this yesterday. If so he is even more of an idiot than I had previously thought. He thinks they are hitting on all cylinders after beating the Lakers because they beat the Clippers last night was well after his show. I just can't see a team winning when they whole team hates their coach and Stephen A. should know better than that as well.

As for the discussion of the topic of the thread if we are talking about most impressive team in Atlanta Hawk history I think there is no question this is the most impressive team ever. They are more impressive IMO than the Heat 27 game win streak in 2012-13 the Heat didnt dominate teams like the Hawks have in there past 27 games.

If we are talking about most impressive Atlanta Sports team. There were some impressive Braves teams. This reminds me so much of the 1991 Braves team. I remember no one believed but the Braves continued to win and the city fell in love with their team.

• Like 2

Not disagreeing with you at all.  Actually, if you look at playoff history, then there are only about 2 or 3 teams that have had more overall appearances in the whole of the league (Boston, LA, and either Philly or NY I think...).  But the media can't market "the team with the most playoff appearances!" or "the team that almost won the first round last year!" or "the team led by the most underrated PF in the game, Paul Millsap!" or "the team that plays basketball the right way!"  

Nobody cares until you start kicking ass.  Then they want to see your team play other good teams and they want to know if their team can beat yours.  Even now, how many of us are looking forward to that Golden State game on the 6th of Feb.  Or are we eagerly awaiting that Brooklyn game next weekend?  I've been honking this horn for about 20 years now, but THIS is what people want to see. It's not so much about the style or the players on the floor.  It's about the marquee matchups and, for whatever reason, we are now a marquee team.

Fans want to see "stars" and "contenders."  Before this improbable turnaround, we didn't figure to offer much in the way of either.  Things will be different next year.

Making the playoffs is nothing special in the NBA. Championships are the only thing that matter. When half the teams get in and multiple teams with less than .500 records, you can't hold that playoff banner up the same way you can in baseball and football. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As for the discussion of the topic of the thread if we are talking about most impressive team in Atlanta Hawk history I think there is no question this is the most impressive team ever. They are more impressive IMO than the Heat 27 game win streak in 2012-13 the Heat didnt dominate teams like the Hawks have in there past 27 games.

If we are talking about most impressive Atlanta Sports team. There were some impressive Braves teams. This reminds me so much of the 1991 Braves team. I remember no one believed but the Braves continued to win and the city fell in love with their team.

This is, so far *knock on wood!* the most impressive Hawks team I've seen.  They aren't just winning, they are dominating games almost end to end...  They don't ever look like they're really in trouble, while on the other end...the opposition looks scared, dazed, and confused.  I mean...that stretch of games we thought were going to be tough...they just plowed through that.  Then went up to Portland on a back to back and dismantled those dudes.

All of those Braves years sort of melt together for me.  The 91 Braves came from a LONG way down though.  Much further than we did and not much to talk about for many many years other than Murph.  Both impressive turnarounds though, so yeah...I guess it kind of reminds me of that time too.  While we're on the subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgjIVvEQo_o

Makes my heart skip a beat to this day. lol  I ran out of the house like a maniac screaming in the streets and went to my buddies house.  I was banging on his door and his dad snatches it open with this crazy expression on his face.  

I was like, "Is Danny here!?!?"  

He screams at me and says, "Who the hell are you!?!  And are you a damn Braves fan!?"  

"Hell yeah I'm a Braves fan!"

Then we just started screaming and yelling and hugging each other. lol And we went into Danny's room.  Dude was knocked out on his bed, so we jumped all over him and woke him up.  LOL good times............

Making the playoffs is nothing special in the NBA. Championships are the only thing that matter. When half the teams get in and multiple teams with less than .500 records, you can't hold that playoff banner up the same way you can in baseball and football. 

No doubt.  Like I said, I been honking that horn for like 20 years now.  People will see the difference now.  Well, hopefully if we can keep this up through the playoffs!

• Like 2

I wasnt clear with my Braves analogy sorry about that. What I meant was how they took the city by storm it wasn't until after the ALL Star break that fans really started buying into the team. Then it was amazing the whole city had Braves fever. One of the best summers of my childhood. I see the same thing happening with our Hawks.

a) Interesting that you'd leave out the 2013-14 Spurs... is there a reason for that?... just curious.

b) True, though I don't know that I'd say they're unique in that way.

I take note that 2-3 weeks ago the conversation as I recall was, "Look at how the Hawks are doing... wonder if they'll get any players in the ASG," to "Look how the Hawks are doing... wonder how many players they'll get in the ASG."

Winning forces people to pay attention, of course... and with it, "good" players like a Tony Parker or a Manu Ginobili or a Kawhi Leonard incrementally get more and more elevated in the public conscience through the hype machine you noted... I think that with playoff success, we'd see the same occur for our starting five.

a) If not for Duncan and Parker's prime, they'd qualify. But they are still major cogs in that team and are big names in the NBA. Maybe not James or Bryant names, but definitely bigger names than Horford, Teague, Milsap. I have a friend who is a Nuggets fan and follows the NBA heavily. He knows the Hawks are playing well, but when I talked about individual players he was surprised that I felt Teague was the best player on the team this year and that Milsap was right there with Horford. He really only knew Al. 

b) Just saying that MLB on Fox or the NFL on Fox, CBS and NBC, regardless if the team has the marquee players at the time, are gonna showcase potential playoff match ups over average to weak teams with superstars. When Barry Sanders was great, but on a terrible team, he rarely if ever got John Madden and Pat Summerall calling his game. Unless we are at the end of the year, in all likelihood ESPN/TNT are gonna choose Lebron vs. Durant over Atlanta vs. Washington/Toronto every time. 

I feel blessed as a sportsfan to have jumped on the Hawks bandwagon due to the Schröder draft. Not only because the team is succesful. Its much more that I have seen the development going from day one with Bud at the helm. A development that could not be more interresting to watch.

This also comes at a time where my soccer club is relegated to the second division and Im starting to forget all about watching them(spescially after last nights 3-0 loss). And at a time where Dallas is kinda gay and frustrating to watch.

Thx Hawks for being a highlight in my sportfanship.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I wasnt clear with my Braves analogy sorry about that. What I meant was how they took the city by storm it wasn't until after the ALL Star break that fans really started buying into the team. Then it was amazing the whole city had Braves fever. One of the best summers of my childhood. I see the same thing happening with our Hawks.

The reason the city hadn't bought in yet was because they were 9 and a half games out at the all star break and 39-40. 

• Moderators

Just guessing it is because they are led by a multiple MVP and top 10-20 player all time and have multiple HOFers on their team and they were winning their 5th championship behind that top player while the Sonics and Pistons squads mentioned had no HOFers and never won again?