• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So I'm beginning to wonder(the whole superstar thing)

HawkItus

if Bud had of been coaching Al or Teague to begin with, could they bE superstars by now? You see the improvements even marginal Hawks players have made. I propose with his instruction and system these guys would be household Names by now. The team's success would have greatly increased their profile.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

if Bud had of been coaching Al or Teague to begin with, could they bE superstars by now? You see the improvements even marginal Hawks players have made. I propose with his instruction and system these guys would be household Names by now. The team's success would have greatly increased their profile.

This is what happened to Smoove.  There was a time when he played the right way - swallowing rebounds, swatting shots, and scoring smart baskets.  He wasn't going to be our leading scorer, but he could have been phenomenal as a glue guy if we had developed him that way. Josh was a knucklehead for sure, but Woody's lack of any sort of offensive identity killed him.

As far as the guys now....

I don't think we should focus on the label so much.  If we had been winning like this for years, they'd call Horford and Teague "stars." I don't think it matters much what we call them though.  They're making an impact.  Down the stretch of that Chicago game last night, you saw Gasol and Rose hitting big shots - we answered.  Teague and Millsap delivered.  KORVER delivered...!

That's another guy.  Korver's always been a good shooter, but this system is bringing out the best in him.  At the same time, it's not the system that makes the ball go in the basket and Kyle is just ridiculous now.  

So, I think had we been playing at this level for many years, our core would have more respect in the "star" conversation.  I don't know if any of our guys will ever be considered in that upper echelon of players.  Maybe Teague if he can keep this up.  Been saying it for a long time, but he's that guy for us.

Super star?  New York has one of those.  Carmelo Anthony is considered by

many to qualify.

There they are, unable to get up out of last place and here are the Atlanta Hawks

who have no super star.

We saw one of those last night.  Their PG certainly qualifies.  Yet, with his wonderful

performance last night, they couldn't overcome the team Atlanta.

pilot.gif

This is what happened to Smoove.  There was a time when he played the right way - swallowing rebounds, swatting shots, and scoring smart baskets.  He wasn't going to be our leading scorer, but he could have been phenomenal as a glue guy if we had developed him that way. Josh was a knucklehead for sure, but Woody's lack of any sort of offensive identity killed him.

As far as the guys now....

I don't think we should focus on the label so much.  If we had been winning like this for years, they'd call Horford and Teague "stars." I don't think it matters much what we call them though.  They're making an impact.  Down the stretch of that Chicago game last night, you saw Gasol and Rose hitting big shots - we answered.  Teague and Millsap delivered.  KORVER delivered...!

That's another guy.  Korver's always been a good shooter, but this system is bringing out the best in him.  At the same time, it's not the system that makes the ball go in the basket and Kyle is just ridiculous now.  

So, I think had we been playing at this level for many years, our core would have more respect in the "star" conversation.  I don't know if any of our guys will ever be considered in that upper echelon of players.  Maybe Teague if he can keep this up.  Been saying it for a long time, but he's that guy for us.

Horford made it easier for Smoove. He used to do all the things so Smoove had the small chance to f'd up a play then Joe was traded and Horford couldn't protect Smoove any longer and Smoove went AWOL

A superstar is what drives fans to games.  Gets the most ratings on TV.  Generally associated with winning too.  We don't have that player right now that a casual fan would tune into and watch.  The real NBA fans would love to watch this team play, but case in point the NBA sucks.  One televised game all season and it was because it was voted by the fans.  Meanwhile New York seems like they are on once a week.

• Like 1