• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

That Other Team You Root For

PSSSHHHRRR87

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I became a Spurs fan after being part of the majority "they're boring as hell" sect. Their torrid run in '12 got me, still can't believe they lost to OKC in the Conf. Finals. I guess #BudBall took over and I matured a little. Everything they do in their operation just has the aura of superior intelligence. To have a satellite right down the street was a dream come true for me.

Other than that I just root for my favorite players, usually SGs who do whatever the hell they want: CrawDog, Kobe, Steph, and Oladipo, damn their teams, though. Fortunately my hometown team has 3 players streadily creeping up my favorite list in Sap, Kyle, and Dennis.

Edited by benhillboy

My business partner and teenage son are from Ohio and fans of everything Ohio sports. When Lebron went back this summer I briefly considered following the Cavs as well as the Hawks but that shit didn't happen. I just can't get motivated to watch another team. On second thought I'll watch any team thats playing the Hawks.

I grew up in Chicago until I was 24 years old, then moved to Atlanta for 31 years, and I'm now back in Chicago for the last six years.

So, I've always continued to "root" for the Bulls and wish them well, but my #1 allegiance is definitely for the Hawks and will remain so even though I'm back in Chicago!!

Bigtime Hawks homer, they say "watch out, we got a Hawks superfan here" over on NBA on ESPN Facebook page. But I do pull for the Spurs against everyone else, due to the smart team style of play BudenFerry brought over. So I voted Hawks and Spurs. I love the little guy vs superstar narrative.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Ameding the earlier comment, fwiw... Hawks only, but that doesn't mean that I don't choose sides on occasion... and joining the chorus, since Bud's arrival, I've definitely looked for the Spurs to win anytime they're not playing the good guys.

• Like 1

Hawks are the only team I'm a fan of....but being that I was born and raised in Jackson TN, bout 40 mins outside of Memphis, I pull for the grizzlies but I wouldn't call myself a fan

• Premium Member

I will say it this way.  I'm a lifelong Hawks fan.

But... a

Long time ago, one of my favorite players (Mookie Blaylock) was traded to the Golden State Warriors.   I had remember RUN TMC.  I remember CWebb and Nellie.  Even Spreewell.  But Golden State was playing the Hawks at the OMNI.  It was "Gospel Night".  I met my wife in that crowd.

Since then, I have "kept an eye out" for Golden State.  I don't openly root for them. However, I don't boo them as LOUD as I boo other teams that the Hawks play.  However, ON FEB 6...  I'm going to be all about the PAC!!!  The Boos may be loud when we play them this year.

Die hard Hawks fan for 31 years. They could go 0 - 82 and they'd still be my #1 team.

But with the Grizzlies in Tennessee, it enables me to also see a lot of Western Conference basketball. And since they take precedence over the Hawks when they play on the same night on SportSouth, it's hard not to follow and root for them.

One of the better weekends of my NBA Fandom took place when I drove 4.5 hours to Atlanta for Game 3 vs Orlando back in 2011, in which Jamal Crawford banked in a 3 with the shot clock winding down, to seal the game.

Then I drive back home, got about 4 hours rest and drove 3 hours to Memphis for Game 3 of the Memphis vs San Antonio series. In that game, Zach Randolph makes a 3 with the shot clock winding down to seal that game.

It was at that point in which I became a fan of what the Grizzlies were about as a team and as a franchise, and not just followed them casually. Their marketing campaign and in-arena experience is great. I'm glad Koonin has gotten our marketing where it should be.