• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Teague, Horford and Sap are All-stars

pimp

Or they can just pick the right guys.  Stackhouse said the 12-man roster is motivated by the owners assertions during the lockout that adding more spots = them having to pay more max deals to guys using all-star selections as justification.

Uhhh Stack, that doesn't make any sense. Adding on more "Max" players will not affect the Salary Cap or even the costs to the owners. Having more "Max" players is a salary distribution problem as the more "Max" players there are then the less money available to the lower class in the NBA.

Or in other words, it is the NBPA who should have a problem with adding on more to the roster.

• Premium Member

You add more players, there still will be somebody getting snubbed. Then the bench guys will get even less minutes.

The minute you add ASG appearances wether by voting or coaches selection as part of contract negotiations - somebody will always be salty.

I think Kyrie is missing out on $7-8 mil because he wasn't VOTED in.

I think you'd agree that adding at least two or three more spots would significantly stop the truly deserving guys like Lillard for instance from being snubbed. I'm not sweating fringe guys like Brandon Knight who is having a good year on a surprisingly better than expected Bucks team getting snubbed. But guys like Lillard or Cousins who only got in with Kobe hurt? C'mon man!

12 guys is a joke. Someone on realgm said the All star roster is the same size it was back when there were only 10 teams in the league. I mean seriously 12 guys for an entire conference? That's just not enough spots.

12 is enough if it's done properly.  I could be convinced 1-2 more spots per team could be added but I think you have the same problem unless you up it to near 20 guys which would be absurd.  

Uhhh Stack, that doesn't make any sense. Adding on more "Max" players will not affect the Salary Cap or even the costs to the owners. Having more "Max" players is a salary distribution problem as the more "Max" players there are then the less money available to the lower class in the NBA.

Or in other words, it is the NBPA who should have a problem with adding on more to the roster.

I should elaborate, he was saying that was the owners' response to the players' request to add more spots.

One thing should be clear - if you haven't played in at least half or even 60% of your teams games up to when the coaches make their selections - you shouldn't be selected - Kevin Durant.

• Moderators

I don't have a problem with 12 guys.  You are putting together team rosters for a game - not recognizing everyone's best player(s).  People would rather see more of the best players than see more of the Joe Johnson type fringe selections.

I should elaborate, he was saying that was the owners' response to the players' request to add more spots.

shok.gif

What the hell is going on with these negotiations then? And was Stack even involved in negotiations? I recall him making comments about how they don't want to see someone like LeBron James as NBPA President....but I don't recall him actually having a position within the Player's Association.

shok.gif

What the hell is going on with these negotiations then? And was Stack even involved in negotiations? I recall him making comments about how they don't want to see someone like LeBron James as NBPA President....but I don't recall him actually having a position within the Player's Association.

Stackhouse was an executive comittee member of the NBAPA or something like that.

I think what Stackhouse means is that owners don't want extra players saying I'm an Allstar during negotiations.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

shok.gif

I guess you give a lot more credit to these eggsperts than they deserve, huh?

Per this, Stackhouse was VPres. of the Player's Union w/e that means:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9392393/jerry-stackhouse-says-union-no-rush-hire-directory

• Premium Member

I don't have a problem with 12 guys.  You are putting together team rosters for a game - not recognizing everyone's best player(s).  People would rather see more of the best players than see more of the Joe Johnson type fringe selections.

But the problem with that thinking is that these All Star games are in fact the metrics used to judge a player's value and career correlation for Hall of Fame. These things actually do matter to the sport and not just some exhibition game for fans.

• Like 1

Stackhouse was an executive comittee member of the NBAPA or something like that.

I think what Stackhouse means is that owners don't want extra players saying I'm an Allstar during negotiations.

That's how I read it.  He actually used Teague as his example.  Said owners would think they only have 1-2 "star" players but, as an all-star, Teague could say, "no, I'm a star too pay me like one" even though he may only be an end-of-the roster type selection.

{No he wasn't saying Teague was undeserving, he just happened to use Teague's name in his example.}

Let's not have the All Star selection go the way of the Pro Bowl where you end up with half the league getting the honor after being the replacement to the replacement of the replacement or the MLB where there has to be a representative from even the bummiest of the bum teams. 12 is just fine and fits in with a typical roster where you know, 15 guys are never all active at the same time.

That isn't going to increase costs for the owners though. The Salary Cap is derived as a percentage of BRI each year and the NBA has an Escrow system in place, where they hold a percentage of everyone's paycheck until the end of season, to ensure that this percentage is met. When you add on another "Max" contract, that won't push up the BRI, Salary Cap, or actual costs that an owner faces. The effect of someone like Horf going from $12m a year to his max (IIRC at the time was close to $13m), then some combination of salaries across the Hawks/NBA would be lower by $1m. The most likely individuals for that to affect would be less for a Zaza / Mike Scott type player. Mike Scott would lose out on probably $333k, same for Zaza and Shelvin...clearly that affects the players more than the owners.

Hell, if anything the additional number of All-Stars might increase the marketability of other players if people don't see the additional players as sullying the award.

• Moderators

Not sure why the commish picks.  Why not just the next player in the tally of coaches votes?    

Also not sure it makes since for Lillard to complain so much.  All the coaches had their say and he came up short.  Unless he thinks there is a personal vendetta against him I'm not sure what there is to complain about.   

Let's not have the All Star selection go the way of the Pro Bowl where you end up with half the league getting the honor after being the replacement to the replacement of the replacement or the MLB where there has to be a representative from even the bummiest of the bum teams. 12 is just fine and fits in with a typical roster where you know, 15 guys are never all active at the same time.

Well, it is 13 on the active rosters so there's that.

I find the issue silly and stupid. You will always have "snubs" because of the way that "snub" ends up being defined. You would be increasing the number of "snubs" anyway as you add on roster spots because the talent dispersion from your 24th to 25th best player is larger than from your 34th to 35th best player.

But the problem with that thinking is that these All Star games are in fact the metrics used to judge a player's value and career correlation for Hall of Fame. These things actually do matter to the sport and not just some exhibition game for fans.

Joe gonna waltz into the HOF. 

• Like 1

Not sure why the commish picks.  Why not just the next player in the tally of coaches votes?    

Also not sure it makes since for Lillard to complain so much.  All the coaches had their say and he came up short.  Unless he thinks there is a personal vendetta against him I'm not sure what there is to complain about.   

Well you let the fans get their say, the coaches get their say, why not let the big boss?

Lillard needs to put down the razor and stop playing Drake in the background and just accept that making the ASG as a Western guard is right up there with a Deandre Jordan made FT in terms of difficulty.  He needs to take a page out of Smoove's book and just comment with "politics" rather than take to the interwebs to type out a diary entry.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Personally, I feel like the All-NBA teams mean more for that.  JJ will vehemently disagree with that, but if HOF voters think those are really important then I question how many guys who are legit HOFers aren't going to make their handful of All-Star games anyway.  Is there someone who has a career akin to Al Jefferson's season last year that is HOF worthy?  (Made the All-NBA team but didn't make the All-Star game).

I'm getting to the party late here but - AWESOME! - 3 Hawks on the All-Star team!  Never thought I would see the day.

As far as Korver, he probably cares a little, but he doesn't see like the kind of guy who will pout because he feels "dissed"...just go out and shoot well in the 3 point competition Kyle helpsmilie.gif

More importantly...will Sir Foster be manning the keyboards on the All-Star organ?  Inquiring minds want to know...

• Premium Member

Very proud of our guys for making the team! It's amazing to think we had three guys make it. This is the most excited I've been for All-Star weekend in quite some time.

For those who think we aren't that talented I wonder what they refer to our "big three" as?