• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How lucky for the fans who just picked up the Hawks since 2008?

HawkItus

• Moderators

I've been a casual fan of the Hawks since '93 and really got into them due to Mookie & Mutombo, but I stopped keeping up with them after Mookie was traded until we got Joe Johnson.  So I've been a fairweathered fan until the last few years... That first year of our current playoff streak has made me a diehard fan now.  I'll still be here when we eventually start sucking again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

38 years for me. To be honest the team traditionally has never been really bad except that one stretch in the post Deke/Smitty/Mookie years until the Joe/Al/Josh team got good enough to make the playoffs. So in that respect we've all been "lucky" but in terms of wanting a team that could realistically win a title...that's been very rough over my stretch. I can't imagine being @Gray Mule because he can remember even further back than this.

• Like 3

• Moderators

38 years for me. To be honest the team traditionally has never been really bad except that one stretch in the post Deke/Smitty/Mookie years until the Joe/Al/Josh team got good enough to make the playoffs. So in that respect we've all been "lucky" but in terms of wanting a team that could realistically win a title...that's been very rough over my stretch. I can't imagine being @Gray Mule because he can remember even further back than this.

This is perfectly said.  The Hawks' normal season over the last 40 years is one where they make the playoffs and get bounced without putting up too much of a fight.

• Like 1

1977 was when I started as a fan after moving down from Chicago. 

Then I became friends with Mike Fratello when I was a silent partner with Frankie Diesa and we had Frankies at the Prado (sports bar). 

Those were great times.  I helped Fratello get some speaking engagements and we taped the speeches he gave.  I had my secretary transcribe them so he could practice before he auditioned for his eventual color commentator gig on national TV.  When he got the gig he invited me over to his house for a homecooked spaghetti dinner with his whole family.  Wonderful guy. 

I later met the owner of Coca-Cola bottling (we are both drummers) and he gave me his courtside seats for a few games.  They were center court, right next to Ted Turner's.  Funniest story was the time I took a friend and his young son and my friend's brother to a game with those tickets.  They did not know that the seats were courtside next to Ted Turner.  The brother decided not to come to the game so I was stuck with one ticket after we had already arrived at the Omni.  I was trying to scalp it with only a few minutes before game time and the police wouldn't allow it.  So, I just gave the ticket to the cop and went into the game with my friend and his young son. 

We walked all the way down to the courts side seats, center court, said hello to Ted Turner, and left our vacant ticket seat next to Mr. Turner.   About ten minutes later, a tall blonde, African American woman with long red nails, six-inch high spike heels, and a mini-skirt comes walking down the court and sits next to Mr. Turner.  He looked at her and said "Heeeellloooo daaarrrllinggg!"  The cop must have given the ticket to a hooker!!!  I couldn't believe it.  Luckily she left during halftime.  You should have seen the looks on eveyone's faces when she sat next to Ted.  HILARIOUS!!

2008 was really the first year that I really got into Basketball (Since I'm now 17 years old), and it just made sense that the Hawks had to be my favorite team. I'm really honored to say that I've never seen a Hawks Basketball team not go to the playoffs!

• Like 1

I also became a fan around that time, during our playoff series against the Celtics. I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the Johnson-Crawford years. But the couple of years following that were absolutely terrible. Picking up random old free agents and losing in the first round. I credit our success mostly to our new coach and Ferry's decision to keep only the hard-working players.

• Admin

• They have never been without the playoffs.
  • Have never known the Hawks without Horford
  • Experience the longest win streak in ATL History
  • Witnessed great coaching in Bud
  • Never experienced a tank

I tell you it has been a charmed life for the newbies.

they will never understnad