• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I have some serious concerns about this team

NBASupes

Hey guys, 19 straight, some great, very good and solid Basketball was played during the stretch. The ability to close games and our defense was great. Our use of our bench was great and we got some good individual performances from each starter in the process. Here are my issues: 

1. The lack of having a 3rd big is a killer right now. We simply can't have an off game from Sap or Horf because of it. Sometimes Antić shows up and other times, he doesn't. It's an issue that can affect us. 

2. Millsap and Horford still aren't great together. They are a solid pairing and defensively, you can see the difference but offensively, both players seem to not play off each other still. Last night, we seen Sap biggest issue get expose on how he struggles to guard very good to elite bigs. He gets worked. He is too small and provides little resistance to them on offense. N.O. happen to neutralize Al with Asik who has always given Al issues dating back to Chicago. While not every team has Aldridge, Griffin, or Davis, this is an issue that still exist and is a bigger issue to me than rebounding because Sap usually gets dominated in his match-ups like this. Horford has the same issue with athletic true centers as well. They give him an ish load of issues. While Mosgov isn't a great athlete, his size and pop for a center can be troubling for Al. My fear is this... If we play Cleveland in the ECF, they will realize, going through Love v. Atlanta could be more troubling for us than Kyrie or even at times, Lebron. If they realize that in the playoffs, that could be the end of us. If they don't, I think we can beat Cleveland in the ECF.

3. We need to be healthy. With the way our starters and bench is setup, we can't afford for injuries. Sure, in the regular season but in the playoffs, not at all. The way we use players, we need those roles to be available. We can't do Kent Bazemore for 20 MPG every again or Mike Scott playing crazy minutes. We need our starters to play their mins and our bench players to fill in for certain roles. 

With that said, player movement is what makes us special as well as BBIQ. We must play our game to win. Ball movement without the others for us is a cause for disaster. We aren't GS, we don't have elite passers and scorers all over the player. Execution is how our team has to win. Simply put, we have a very good team. We are just as good as Detroit when they won. We aren't as good as San Antonio last year. We simply lack that Manu type of scorer as we lack the size that you need to win in the NBA. Sure, I think we can beat most of the East and I even think we can beat Cleveland but this team isn't beating San Antonio, Memphis or a healthy New Orleans in a playoff series and I am having serious doubts that Golden State can get there but if they do, I wonder if Atlanta can beat them in a series. Our size concerns are legit. I don't think it's the biggest issue, I think a lack of a 3rd big is but it's an issue. 

Overall, we have a bright future. Horford is being used correctly, we have a great system, we have two very talented PG's, we have great bench production because we used them well. We still need a true center but he needs to be very talented as well. We need someone to emerge as the 3rd big, can that be Payne next season, we only can hope. I now see why Ferry wanted Pau Gasol so bad. He would have been a great addition especially over Mike Scott who's if he isn't making baskets, isn't useful at ALL. Thabo is decent player but it reminds you just how much we depend on the SF position on this team. When it's out of sorts, our offense looks horrible. Bazemore simple doesn't move well off the ball and it kills our offense. It's like Lou is back but without the ball hogging or the offensive talent either. Thabo as well as DMC both play off the ball extremely well. We are going to be to be very good team as long as we have one of those PG's, Korver and Horford. But we must get a true center and someone must take their games to another level next year as a big. I don't care if it's Edy, Payne, or Muscala. Someone must do it or look outside for solutions. 

DAMN! One loss in 20 games and 3 loss in 33 games and this comes out!

Well im not one to argue with you because past conversations prove you will not stop but RESPECTFULLY I disagree.

However since this thread was created to voice concern I would like to add my 1 and only concern which is Thabs injury. I personally think bud should add a defender from free agency or by trade of a player who isn't a regular rotational guy...going 6-8 weeks without Thabo is going to show quickly on the defense end! What the Hawks did yesterday against the Pelicans was just a tired team...remember sap locked davis down in the first meeting...anyways we all have been watching the Hawks and we know what they are capable of but another defender need to be added so that the next 6-8 weeks won't be so up and down.

Now if Mack can play while Thabo is out it may not be that much of a concern cause Bazemore who's a good defender can guard 2s & 3s as well BUT if Mack is going to continue to sit and bud is depending on Jenkins to step his game up or Mike Scott to improve his perimeter defense I think the Hawks may be in for a rude awakening.

Other than the Thabo injury nothing concerns me other than the (rigged) refs when we get to the playoffs but that's something I will continue to discuss in the Stephen A Smith thread.

Sap didn't really do much that game either. The double teaming of Davis was a lot easier when you have Austin Rivers scoring 0 points and starting compared to Eric Gordon. Not to mention we didn't get much out of our bench this game and did in that game. 

Other then that, I agree with the rest of what you wrote. 

The sky is definitely falling

The sky is bright for the first time in 20 years. Unlike @Hotlanta1981 aka Mr. RocknBlues81, I don't think we peaked. I think we can get better from here but I think we might need to make some additions this off-season. Very talented size aka a center, a wing with All Star potential, I would like Caris Levert and we need to get a PF in free agency or we need MAJOR in house improvement from Payne, Muscala or Edy. Mike Scott is what he is. 

• Like 1

Sap didn't really do much that game either. The double teaming of Davis was a lot easier when you have Austin Rivers scoring 0 points and starting compared to Eric Gordon. Not to mention we didn't get much out of our bench this game and did in that game.

Other then that, I agree with the rest of what you wrote.

That's fair but yesterday just wasn't Hawks defense like it has been the majority of the season...and if our Hawks are rested I say they win that game 9/10 against pelicans

The sky is bright for the first time in 20 years. Unlike @Hotlanta1981 aka Mr. RocknBlues81, I don't think we peaked. I think we can get better from here but I think we might need to make some additions this off-season. Very talented size aka a center, a wing with All Star potential, I would like Caris Levert and we need to get a PF in free agency or we need MAJOR in house improvement from Payne, Muscala or Edy. Mike Scott is what he is.

I know this sounds crazy but I have a feeling Payne is going to be that guy next season to step up in a crazy way...right now I feel bud is just bringing him on slowly as he should

• Moderators

The historic guy I wish I could see with this team is Arvidas Sabonis - a guy the Hawks at one time drafted (or at least tried to draft).  He had the traditional big size with superstar passing ability and the range to hit 3's.  I can only imagine what Bud could do with him in this offense.  

• Like 3

The historic guy I wish I could see with this team is Arvidas Sabonis - a guy the Hawks at one time drafted (or at least tried to draft). He had the traditional big size with superstar passing ability and the range to hit 3's. I can only imagine what Bud could do with him in this offense.

That made me drool.

I just say you can't get something for nothing.   Having quick bigs who can shoot lights out and finish is one of the big reasons we've been able to exploit so many teams.   Even teams that supposedly have great bigs like Memphis, Detroit, Washington.   Replace that with a more traditional lumbering big and we become a more traditional team to guard.   We're going to have some nights where the offense isn't flowing and the other team realizes they can exploit us inside, but i'll take the percentages so far on how often those nights come around.

We haven't fared well v. DET bigs since Smoove was traded. We had to rely on Hack a Shaq to beat DET and MEM were without Z-Bo so that's not even the same team. We are simply undersized. A short PF and a nice sized PF isn't ideal even if it works. Honestly, Sap and Horf fit the system, that's what I do like about them together. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

We haven't fared well v. DET bigs since Smoove was traded. We had to rely on Hack a Shaq to beat DET and MEM were without Z-Bo so that's not even the same team. We are simply undersized. A short PF and a nice sized PF isn't ideal even if it works. Honestly, Sap and Horf fit the system, that's what I do like about them together. 

I'm not sure how you are measuring 'didn't fare well'.   Horford had 19/16 when we last played Detroit.   Monroe and Drummond combined had 19/17.   We are undersized so we have to work hard on the defensive end but it is paying such dividends overall.  I say keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how you are measuring 'didn't fare well'.   Horford had 19/16 when we last played Detroit.   Monroe and Drummond combined had 19/17.   We are undersized so we have to work hard on the defensive end but it is paying such dividends overall.  I say keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore.

I agree 100%, it does work. New Orleans is a very good team and we were bound to lose sooner or later. It would bother me a little if it was the Lakers or Timberwolves we lost to in their place. But AD and company are coming on and they will be no fun in the playoffs either; which I fully expect them to make this season.

This thread stating we are undersized is like stating the sky is blue. Stating we are quick is the same. Our quickness and filling the lanes makes up for our size; which is what Bud's D is all about.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I agree and have the same concerns.  Sap has played terribly the last 2 games.  He has been missing from long range and it is disappointing as hell to have a team that shoots the ball so well struggle at the free throw line.  But last night the Hawks just seemed off.  They just weren't clicking like they normally do.  I think teams have learned that you have to play defense against us and to clog the passing lanes.  Pellies also did well clogging the lane and kept Teague/Schröder in check.

Our Hawks are going to have to evolve to become better and I believe it starts with our big guys.  We need more shots in the paint.  We need to attack these stars for other teams and get them in foul trouble.  Too many times we settle for long shots.  Outside of Teague, Schröder, and Bazemore, we have problems getting to the hoop.

We get the Zards on Wednesday which are similar in size to the Pellies, although none of their bigs are as talented as AD.  I believe we rebound and win vs. Washington.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My opinion is that our streak, rather than being downplayed as an easy schedule, should be recognized as something pretty extraodinary.  A lot of teams who rattle off lots of wins have the luxury of dumping the ball to a 'superstar' and just let him, and to no small extent the refs, bail them out of games where they are not shooting or defending well.   We haven't had that option and still managed 19 in a row.   

• Like 4

I agree and have the same concerns.  Sap has played terribly the last 2 games.  He has been missing from long range and it is disappointing as hell to have a team that shoots the ball so well struggle at the free throw line.  But last night the Hawks just seemed off.  They just weren't clicking like they normally do.  I think teams have learned that you have to play defense against us and to clog the passing lanes.  Pellies also did well clogging the lane and kept Teague/Schröder in check.

Our Hawks are going to have to evolve to become better and I believe it starts with our big guys.  We need more shots in the paint.  We need to attack these stars for other teams and get them in foul trouble.  Too many times we settle for long shots.  Outside of Teague, Schröder, and Bazemore, we have problems getting to the hoop.

We get the Zards on Wednesday which are similar in size to the Pellies, although none of their bigs are as talented as AD.  I believe we rebound and win vs. Washington.

The free throw shooting is a concern.

Teague took 17 shots 12 were <5  he missed 6

Dennis took 13 shots 7 were <5 he missed 5

Sap took 14 shots, 10 were <5 he missed 6

Al took 9 shots, 4 were <5 he missed 3.

Players were getting in the paint with ease and point blank missing layups.

The ball and player movement was non existent, players looked like they were wearing cement boots, Players seemed hesitant to shoot, fumbling passes, Teague was dribbling too much, Bazemore is not a starter (yet), we need DMC on the floor.  Even Kyle didn't look like he was all out running. Jenkins is still clueless on defense.

Just a sloppy game all around.

My opinion is that our streak, rather than being downplayed as an easy schedule, should be recognized as something pretty extraodinary.  A lot of teams who rattle off lots of wins have the luxury of dumping the ball to a 'superstar' and just let him, and to no small extent the refs, bail them out of games where they are not shooting or defending well.   We haven't had that option and still managed 19 in a row.   

Exactly, look at it for what it is and the make up of the team.  

The end of streak will probably get more pub than the actual streak itself.

• Moderators

Exactly, look at it for what it is and the make up of the team.  

The end of streak will probably get more pub than the actual streak itself.

Yep on Yahoo's NBA page which i check pretty regularly I never saw a single featured headline about a hawks win during the streak.   Today is the the number one spot with a big picture of AD.   That's ok.   Keep underestimating us.   It's fine.