• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The refs in the GS game...

Sothron

• Premium Member

Serious question here: Was I the only person watching that game that felt the refs were really bad? As in favoring GS by a rather copious amount?

The most laughable calls were taking away Antić's tip in, calling an offensive foul on Antić to take away Carroll's three and calling an offensive foul on Horford when it was clearly a blocking foul because the defender was still moving and taking away the made basket plus the free throw on Horford.

And as for Horford...WOW did they call some really bad fouls against him. He would have had his second career triple double if the refs hadn't kept calling fouls on him.

I'm worried that this kind of ref treatment is what awaits us in the playoffs. Very specifically against the superstar teams like Cleveland...

I agree with you 100% about the refs being terrible this game. I think they were bad towards both teams, and I may be biased but, like you, I also thought it was heavily slanted towards us with the majority of bad calls.

The hilarious thing about this is when I read the GSW game thread on their forums, they are all pretty upset with the refs claiming we were getting all the calls and they were getting nothing. Confirmation bias is a bitch. After watching the game a 2nd time, I do still think we got the worst of the bad officiating, but it was bad for both teams. 

It seemed to me the biggest problem was they started the game letting both teams play physical; but then they just picked their spots where they wanted to call ticky tacky fouls and ignore similar contact 90% of the rest of the time. Just be consistent with the whistle.

• Like 3

Watching live I didn't sweat it, maybe 2-3 poor calls that the ref heard about loud and clear from the crowd. Yall do know we shot 22 more free throws than them right?

Bud has fully prepared the team for postseason play: we commit the least fouls in the league (18) and make the most defensive plays per personal foul, although I don't know why it's a percentage (16.7, per TeamRankings.com)

The angles of the offense forces a lot of defenders out of position to commit fouls on us (10th in the league in drawing) then we have Dennis, Jeff, and Sap attacking off the dribble at will. We keep Kyle from fouling three point shooters and stay on the refs about Pero going straight up and we'll be absolutely fine with the zebras in the playoffs I think. I implore everyone to not forget about Elton, he's gonna be huge for us in spot duty. If I'm not mistaken, referrees treat him favorably down low, especially on rebounding fouls.

Edited by benhillboy

I thought they were pretty awful too--for both teams, but more so us. You know if Al is getting T'd up he probably has a legitimate reason to be bitching about calls. GS fans can say the got the worse end of the deal because we shot more free throws but we were driving the ball a lot more than they were. I loved the "referees suck" chant.

• Like 1

Way back in the day when all Denver did is run and try to score 300 points a game, I remember the refs would always call ghost fouls in order to slow the game down....hard time keeping up.

If you watched Hawks @ Denver in the late 90's...you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Edited by thecampster

I was there at the game so I didn't really get a good perspective. I sat in 319 Row A so I couldn't really tell what was a foul and what wasn't from way up where I was sitting...but honestly, I thought the calls were fair. Mind you, there was a lot of calls and they seemed to have been made with some inconsistency...but they seemed to be calling them fair. Of course, sitting where I sit, you just gotta believe in the refs. (There was a 'Refs you suck' chant going there for a while, but honestly, I hear that chant in Philips more than any other stadium)

• Like 1

we just happened to get fouled a lot in the process of shooting - fouls were nearly the same  at games end .  But I agree with the sentiment that the refs, once they established a tone for how they were going to allow the teams to play should have got the hell out the way - BUT Im also a conspiracy theorist and think perhaps for the good of the game ( $$$$$$$$$) decided to manipulate  a few things and keep the final score closer. After all it could bea preview of the finals and  this is an optimal time to start building  the hype.

Serious question here: Was I the only person watching that game that felt the refs were really bad? As in favoring GS by a rather copious amount?

The most laughable calls were taking away Antić's tip in, calling an offensive foul on Antić to take away Carroll's three and calling an offensive foul on Horford when it was clearly a blocking foul because the defender was still moving and taking away the made basket plus the free throw on Horford.

And as for Horford...WOW did they call some really bad fouls against him. He would have had his second career triple double if the refs hadn't kept calling fouls on him.

I'm worried that this kind of ref treatment is what awaits us in the playoffs. Very specifically against the superstar teams like Cleveland...

According to Warrior fans, the refs were favoring the hawks.

Edited by Twinblade

• Premium Member

I hate bad officiating and favoritism.  They're both easily corrected and have no place in the game.  The product would be infinitely better if the NBA would just let go of the idea that certain calls need to go a certain way for a particular team.  

That being said, the refs never scare me.  Surely they can affect the game, but at the end of the day...you have to make your shots.  If we play our game and stick to what works, the refs can't stop us.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't see how anyone can be mad at the Horford offensive foul. He clearly joked the defender on the spin move.

I thought the game was called equally as well and it's a new era when we as Hawks fans can say that about a big game.

I was referring to the second offensive foul where he went strait up with his shot and the defender flopped

The fouls that hated were:

1. calling Pero on that hold that took away DMC's 3 pointer.  Totally bogus call.  

2. when Thompson drove in for a layup, Milsap went straight up and Thompson initiated ALL of the contact, even with his elbow going into Milsap's throat. Three point play opportunity.  

Those calls could have been the difference in  close game.

• Like 2