• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

We do need to prove it in the playoffs.  Regular season success is good and everything, but it just doesn't matter if you go down early in the playoffs.  I'm just hoping we can stay healthy.  

We have to make the ECF at a minimum and have a good showing.

The season is not over.  We lost to the 3rd best team in the NBA at THEIR place while shooting like crap.  We were in it the entire game and it could have easily gone our way.  

• Like 1

This trying to silence someone because they don't agree with you is ridiculous. Hots has a right like everyone else to voice their opinion. The Hawks have a rebounding problem is true, they have been able to overcome it with shooting, steals and defense most of the year. Memphis is a damn tough inside bulk team that can go get the boards. 

We have such great chemistry it is tough making a move and messing that up. Thabo being out goes unnoticed but he does a good job on the boards. I'm sure Danny, Bud, and the assistant GM have already been looking at this.

Rebounding is a huge issue. Toughness is another.

Hots if the Hawks make it to the conference championship will you promise to say nothing negative for the whole next season? I'm sure you'll agree since you are 100% positive they are a first or second round exit. Come on put some meat behind that strong opinion.

I figured I wouldn't get a response because deep inside hots doesn't believe what he's barking. I well off to bed for me.

Edited by ATLien_

When you can't hit your shots, open shots that you usually hit,

the outcome is obvious.

Hawks were cold shooting, or rather Horford and Millsap were.

That cost us the game.

Never mind the rebounds.  If the Hawks hit their shots, that eliminates

the rebounds.

I agree.  Hawks need more and better rebounding

• Like 1

I would like to see an exact quote from Bud that says we aren't trying to go after offensive rebounds...that doesn't make much sense to me. An offensive rebound equals one more possession, and who doesn't want that? I don't live in GA, so I don't get to watch the games much, and when I do, I never get to watch the postgame pressers from Bud. But I cannot fathom that he would espouse that as a strategy. 

Anyway, we have a problem with rebounding, and tonight we got bitten by it (and almost did against GS despite us shooting lights out in the second half). And yes, Horford's and Milsap's offensive ineptitude cost us as well. We are still an excellent team, but this is a problem. And with Pero's limited value, we have no other bench bigs that can help with the rebounding and defense night in and night out. Payne can;t get PT, Brand barely plays and isn't mobile enough for our defensive strategy, Scott is more of a SF, and Muscala racks up DNPs. 

We are going to have to continue to hope that the defensive strategy that has carried us this far will continue to cover up our rebounding issue yet and thrive in the playoffs when we will face more defenses like the Grizz who CAN rebound night in and night out along with playing strong defense.

Remember when Demarre crashed on a missed free throw attempt on Friday and the Warriors went down the court and Klay Thompson hit a wide open 3 in transition not even 4 seconds later?  Remember Bud calling a timeout right away just to chew Demarre out?  Yea, I'd think from watching this team and even looking at the rankings of the Poppa team Spurs, whom no one will accuse of not being good at rebounding or undersized, that offensive rebounding is not an emphasis.  It may not make sense to you but the percentage of actually recovering an offensive rebound even when you are trying is limited while also putting you at tremendous disadvantage at transition defense.   

Millsap should've had the night off. Memphis was game, hats off to em, they scrap every play on defense.

Conley's two threes in succession along with back-to-back turnovers around the same span did us in. We can beat most teams even when getting demolished on the glass, Memphis ain't one of em. Let's Go.

The only time we can win games while getting demolished on the glass, is when we're shooting the ball well.  At that point, the rebounds are less of an issue.  But in a game like tonight where offensive possessions are precious, you can't give your opponent 17 extra opportunities to score.

Fastbreak points:  ATL - 14 . .  MEM - 9 . . ( ATL +5 )

2nd Chance Points:  MEM - 22 . . ATL - 6 . .  ( MEM + 16 )

Hawks lose by 6.

• Like 1

Relax people.  This was a tough road game that could have gone either way.  I could see us beating Memphis in the finals, and am much more satisfied that we beat Golden State on our home court.  

Anyways, we only have to win about half of our remaining games to clinch home court and #1 seed.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Oh please. There is a small chance that I could be wrong, but we both know that deal would never stick. So, what's the point?

If the regular season doesn't matter, then why are you being so critical after a meaningless regular season game?

I completely agree that we have to prove it in the playoffs.  But, I'm not going to loop this team into the same category as past Hawks teams.  When have we ever been 42-10?  They will get their chance in the playoffs.

• Like 1

If the regular season doesn't matter, then why are you being so critical after a meaningless regular season game?

I completely agree that we have to prove it in the playoffs.  But, I'm not going to loop this team into the same category as past Hawks teams.  When have we ever been 42-10?  They will get their chance in the playoffs.

He always tells me how regular season games mean nothing yet has a mental breakdown when they lose. This dude just isn't consistent and should never be taken seriously. He needs to choose a side NOW. @Hotlanta1981 make your decision, do regular season games mean anything or not? Decide now and STICK to it. 

We've seen the Hawks win 50+ games in the regular season before.

This team can't rebound and they have no back up bigs or no post scorers. You turn this team into a halfcourt team that can't count on great jump shooting and you have a not so impressive team.

Good teams will stop the hawks offense like New Orleans and Memphis did. 

He always tells me how regular season games mean nothing yet has a mental breakdown when they lose. This dude just isn't consistent and should never be taken seriously. He needs to choose a side NOW. @Hotlanta1981 make your decision, do regular season games mean anything or not? Decide now and STICK to it. 

Nobody takes you seriously. I see it on insidehoops everyday.

I don't like that this is a treadmill team. 

No amount of regular season wins will make me believe that this is a finals contender. We've seen this team win lots of regular seasons before, but it always ends the same way.

• Premium Member

No amount of regular season wins will make me believe that this is a finals contender. We've seen this team win lots of regular seasons before, but it always ends the same way.

In other words, we will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs?

You really lack critical thinking skills then if you can't distinguish differences between this team and past ones. That one's on you. 

You really lack critical thinking skills then if you can't distinguish differences between this team and past ones. That one's on you. 

This team lacks star power just like those other teams lacked.  

When things get tough and their jumpers don't fall, they look like crap. Memphis took away the Hawks ball movement in the second half and nobody could step up and get it done. Games like tonight are what you often get in the playoffs. And the Hawks don't look too good when a hard hitting halfcourt team punches them in the mouth.

The Hawks will see more of the New Orleans/Memphis type of games in the playoffs and less of the Golden State type games. That does not bode well for the Hawks. Just look at how much they struggled against the Bucks also.