• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

Yes, Hots can get stretched out and be extremely negative at times, but he's not totally off base with any of his concerns. And I do agree that Al's offense is a bit soft. His entire repertoire relies on hitting 18-20 ft jumpers. He does not bang down low and draw many fouls.  Al is quick. If he wanted to, it seems that this quickness could be used to get contact and be more of a factor from the free throw line. 

Everyone has off shooting nights, so that's no sin. We are better than this Memphis team. Even with a horrendous rebounding and shooting night, they had to have Conley make some big shots in crunch time and the Hawks missed.

• Premium Member

Yes, Hots can get stretched out and be extremely negative at times, but he's not totally off base with any of his concerns.

Concerns?  You seem to be confused about what he said.  He made predictions about this team and their ability to beat teams in the playoffs.  He flat out said that the Hawks will not beat the Cavaliers or the Bulls in the playoffs this year.  That my friend is not a concern but a prediction.

Concerns?  You seem to be confused about what he said.  He made predictions about this team and their ability to beat teams in the playoffs.  He flat out said that the Hawks will not beat the Cavaliers or the Bulls in the playoffs this year.  That my friend is not a concern but a prediction.

I said if the Bulls get their act together.

We beat Cleveland, Houston and Dallas without Teague, and we beat Portland without Demarre, but I guess that stuff doesn't matter when you want to just bash a team that you supposedly root for.

Atlanta sports fandom: Excuses only count for other teams.

This team has been one of the more healthier teams in the NBA this season. I know Mack has been out awhile, but he has only had about 2 good games all year. He really isn't important to the team.

I think the question is not whether we CAN beat these teams but rather will we execute well enough in crunch time to do so. We have shown that we CAN during the regular season and let's not panic too much...We just lost to the 2 seed in the West on their floor by 6 and we did not have a good night from either of our "bigs". I doubt they will put together a combined 8 points again all year. 

The devil is the pressure of the playoffs. I think if they can get off to a good start in the Playoffs a championship is not out of our grasp. If we struggle against out first round opponent and scrape by it will open up even more pressure on ours guys. WE have performed at a super high level all year and to doubt them is rather silly. I for one have chosen to get squarely behind them and help add to the confidence they are building week to week. 

The Hawks are NOT going to win every game. The beauty of the playoffs is that you don't HAVE to win them all, you just have to survive and advance. I believe they will go to the finals and then anything is possible 

Ugh, this gang up vs Hots is tiresome.

Everyone in the world knows the Hawks aren't perfect, and working in the post and rebounds are an issue for us that we can't always make up for. So, until they reach perfect play, it's gonna take playoff play to prove their worth.

Having finally gotten to watch the game, I have to say it was a good game. The Hawks could've put it away early, but couldn't hit anything, especially 3s in the first qtr. Horf could hit crap, even when open. Bad getting his feet set for shots. Add to that some sloppy passes leading to turnovers, the Hawks lost it as well as the Grizzlies just being physical and tenacious. I can't be mad at these last two losses. Marc Gasol and Anthony Davis have to be my two favorite non Hawks players out there, and I would kill to see them on this team in place of Horf or Milsap. Can't win them all. At least the losses are on the road and to Western conference teams.

Go Hawks! On to the next one.

It's not a gang up. Were pointing out the guy is a troll but he's given special privileges because he has an early join date. He trying to get a reaction out of people, not have discussion. What he's saying isn't reasonable either which will never lead to discussion. He just says outrageous things.

It's not a gang up. Were pointing out the guy is a troll but he's given special privileges because he has an early join date. He trying to get a reaction out of people, not have discussion. What he's saying isn't reasonable either which will never lead to discussion. He just says outrageous things.

Yup.  Hots was making a mixed bag of positive and negative comments this year and then a few weeks ago he switched to troll mode and now only makes negative posts in attempts to get folks to bite.  It's way too obvious.  How can any one, other than a troll, not have a single positive thing to say about this team while rejoicing when the team loses.  I've never understood what people get out of being internet trolls but I guess it's rewarding to some.  Just stop feeding him.

It's unreasonable to suggest that a team that can't rebound will not go far in the playoffs?

The only way I can become 'reasonable" to someone like you is to blindly worship the team.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators

Just now checking in after last night's loss.  The conversation is about what i expected.   Frankly I was kind of happy for the loss because Bud will show these guys in no uncertain terms why we lost and they can correct it next time.    We knew we'd get outrebounded.   It was lack of assists and too many turnovers.   It's no coincidence we had low assist numbers and high turnovers.  Guys trying to do too much.  Not finding the open man.   Doesn't help when you're getting clobbered and the refs don't blow the whistle but still.  

Everyone wants to jump on Antić for missing 3 3s but he did pull the bigs out of the lane and did his job on offense.   I'm most pissed that he played 15 minutes with no fouls.   I'd rather see him be more physical than that in a game like this.   

Just now checking in after last night's loss.  The conversation is about what i expected.   Frankly I was kind of happy for the loss because Bud will show these guys in no uncertain terms why we lost and they can correct it next time.    We knew we'd get outrebounded.   It was lack of assists and too many turnovers.   It's no coincidence we had low assist numbers and high turnovers.  Guys trying to do too much.  Not finding the open man.   Doesn't help when you're getting clobbered and the refs don't blow the whistle but still.  

Everyone wants to jump on Antić for missing 3 3s but he did pull the bigs out of the lane and did his job on offense.   I'm most pissed that he played 15 minutes with no fouls.   I'd rather see him be more physical than that in a game like this.   

It's not just the lame turnovers, but the team comes out and has a slow start almost every game now. You would think Bud would have fixed this by now, but he hasn't.

You say all of this like you know his motivations, and yet you play right into it, getting worked up and engaging with him.

Look, some people are pessimists, some are optimists, and a few are realists. If someone sees things differently and they aren't lying, no need to hate on a guy. Just use the ignore function on the site.

I just hate when threads are hijacked by posters jumping all over one person. Wake me up when the machismo chest puffing is over.

Out rebounded 55-37, our two best players missing WIDE OPEN looks, shooting 4-21, and yet we were in the game tied at 86 with 2:30 to go.  It was the execution in those last minutes that doomed them. 2 big turnovers - 1 by Al and 1 by Kyle.

The Hawks played the top 2 teams out West and played two different types of basketball - they were able to run with the warriors and played the slow down game of the Grizz. They didn't win but it's good to know they can play that kind of slow paced game also.

Giving up offensive rebounds is a problem, and I don't think there is a quick fix for it this season.  It's easy to blame Al and Sap for the offensive rebounding but Tony Allen and Jeff Green had 7 of the 17 O-Rebs (you expect Gasol (wait a minute he had ZERO)  and Randolph to get theirs) , that means our SG/SF aren't boxing out and putting a body on these guys.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

It's unreasonable to suggest that a team that can't rebound will not go far in the playoffs?

The only way I can become 'reasonable" to someone like you is to blindly worship the team.

You act as if the season is over after every loss. That's not normal. Especially after how good this teams been. The only logical explanation is trolling.

• Moderators

As for the Hawks frontcourt, I'm not worried about this game vs. Memphis. Sap has been playing terrible lately and Horford was off last night. That mid-range jumper of his usually automatic and Sap is better from 3 than that.  And in spite of the eye test, the Hawks are 8th in the league in FT% and 17th in FTA. We aren't a prototypical basketball team.  We are one of few teams that have 2 centers that stretch the floor, although Pero has been terrible of late. I'm more concerned over the number of missed layups lately from the team than I am of Horford and Sap. Sap will get out of this funk and Horford has these type games every so often.

Also, the last NBA Finals participant to even be in the top 10 of rebound totals was the 2010 Lakers. RPG aren't as important as people make them. Team defense and shooting well is what is important. Not worried about O-Rebs cause the Hawks are 4th in the league in FG% at 47.1%. If the shots are falling, then there isn't a rebound to be made.

I do agree that the Hawks seem to have problems with the more physical teams in the league, but fortunately they all play out West except for Chicago. Cavs are still beatable with Varejao done for the season which leaves the paint to be defended by Thompson and Love. Love would rather jack up 3pt shots than get in the paint and play physical. Sap is quicker than Love and will pull Love out of the paint and then attack. Horford is an advantage over Mozgov on offense and I'm not worried about Mozgov putting up 20 on us. Teague/Schröder vs. Kyrie and DMC/Thabo/Bazemore to slow down Lebron. The X factor would be Korver getting open vs. Shumpert/Smith. Cavs have improved their perimeter defense since we last played them which is probably a direct response to our shooters kicking their asses twice. March 6th will be very interesting. No other teams in the East can hang in a 7-game series with us, so getting to the second round is a borderline gimme for the Hawks.  I think the Hawks are the Cavs' kyrptonite, but March 6h will tell if that is right.

For the teams that could get that 8th seed, only team I fear is a healthy Indiana, but even the Indiana frontcourt is not known to be dominate like Bulls/Grizz.  Pistons don't have the shooters to hang with us and Charlotte doesn't either.  Those teams have post presence, but they don't have the shooters outside to keep guys like Schröder, Teague, DMC, Thabo, and Bazemore out of the paint and off their bigs. Even if the Heat drop to the 8th seed, Horford and Sap will kill them inside and Teague will light their PG's up.  1st round shouldn't be a problem for the Hawks and hopefully Zards will do us a solid in the first round against Chicago/Cleveland.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 2

As for the Hawks frontcourt, I'm not worried about this game vs. Memphis. Sap has been playing terrible lately and Horford was off last night. That mid-range jumper of his usually automatic and Sap is better from 3 than that. And in spite of the eye test, the Hawks are 8th in the league in FT% and 17th in FTA. We aren't a prototypical basketball team. We are one of few teams that have 2 centers that stretch the floor, although Pero has been terrible of late. I'm more concerned over the number of missed layups lately from the team than I am of Horford and Sap. Sap will get out of this funk and Horford has these type games every so often.

Also, the last NBA Finals participant to even be in the top 10 of rebound totals was the 2010 Lakers. RPG aren't as important as people make them. Team defense and shooting well is what is important. Not worried about O-Rebs cause the Hawks are 4th in the league in FG% at 47.1%. If the shots are falling, then there isn't a rebound to be made.

I do agree that the Hawks seem to have problems with the more physical teams in the league, but fortunately they all play out West except for Chicago. Cavs are still beatable with Varejao done for the season which leaves the paint to be defended by Thompson and Love. Love would rather jack up 3pt shots than get in the paint and play physical. Sap is quicker than Love and will pull Love out of the paint and then attack. Horford is an advantage over Mozgov on offense and I'm not worried about Mozgov putting up 20 on us. Teague/Schröder vs. Kyrie and DMC/Thabo/Bazemore to slow down Lebron. The X factor would be Korver getting open vs. Shumpert/Smith. Cavs have improved their perimeter defense since we last played them which is probably a direct response to our shooters kicking their asses twice. March 6th will be very interesting. No other teams in the East can hang in a 7-game series with us, so getting to the second round is a borderline gimme for the Hawks. I think the Hawks are the Cavs' kyrptonite, but March 6h will tell if that is right.

For the teams that could get that 8th seed, only team I fear is a healthy Indiana, but even the Indiana frontcourt is not known to be dominate like Bulls/Grizz. Pistons don't have the shooters to hang with us and Charlotte doesn't either. Those teams have post presence, but they don't have the shooters outside to keep guys like Schröder, Teague, DMC, Thabo, and Bazemore out of the paint and off their bigs. Even if the Heat drop to the 8th seed, Horford and Sap will kill them inside and Teague will light their PG's up. 1st round shouldn't be a problem for the Hawks and hopefully Zards will do us a solid in the first round against Chicago/Cleveland.

@PSSSHHHRRR87 you know they'll tell you that rebounding didn't matter to those teams because they have what we don't, a 'SupaSta'. :-/

I have no problem with Hots at all, how can you? I just take issue with Dolf becuase when you ignore someone you can still see their posts when someone quotes them! Yall be killing me actually acknowledging dude.

Edited by benhillboy