• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If Not Kyle, Who?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

...and If Not Now, When?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde5-should-wade-consider-allstar-game-at-all-20150210-story.html

Dwyane Wade isn't expected to travel to Cleveland when the Heat leave Tuesday afternoon for Wednesday's game, meaning he would miss seven straight games leading into Sunday's All-Star Game. The question then becomes: Why would he play in the exhibition game at all?

Wouldn't he rest his hamstring and rehabilitate it to be ready for the second part of the season?

As I mentioned in my column today after the Heat's win against the Knicks, Wade has earned the right to do what he wants. This is his 11th All-Star game and could be his final one. And maybe he goes on the court as the starter, as fans voted him, and makes a cameo at the beginning and is quickly taken out.

But I'm old-fashioned enough to think winning should be put above a spectacle, that Wade should bow out of the All-Star game and get himself ready to return to play for the Heat. This team needs him. This season, too.

I tend to agree with the columnist. Wade will be in NYC all weekend for charity events and at the games, so I think that's sufficient to count as an "appearance." There's no benefit for the heat to let Coach Bud decide how much, or even if, Wade plays on the court.

If D-Wade bows out of the ASG, Kyle Korver still remains the most logical replacement, IMO.

As the Bucks' Kendall Marshall hints, Brandon Knight deserves some recognition, too, given Milwaukee's improvement. It works in Knight's favor that the Hawks have multiple reps already, and he has better overall efficiency ratings by the NBA's standard PIE measure.

But between the two, I'd rather see the league honor Kyle's unprecedented shooting display, commitment to team defensive play on a wildly successful team, and veteran advantage.

Plus, the East already has four point guards (Wall, Kyrie, Jeff, Lowry) to offset the West (Steph, Dame, CP3, Russ). Jimmy Butler is the only wing player on the East currently able to counter Harden and Klay. It's the ASG, and they could make-do with LeBron if they wished. But they shouldn't have to.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

Wait...are they saying Wade was voted in as a starter?

Wade has earned the right to do what he wants. This is his 11th All-Star game and could be his final one. And maybe he goes on the court as the starter, as fans voted him, and makes a cameo at the beginning and is quickly taken out.

No. No they did not.

What the hell ever happened to fact checking and integrity in reporting? I guess Dave Hyde might be from the UNC school of journalism...

• Moderators

Wait...are they saying Wade was voted in as a starter?

No. No they did not.

What the hell ever happened to fact checking and integrity in reporting? I guess Dave Hyde might be from the UNC school of journalism...

Great catch! Toronto certainly agrees.

~lw3

Between Wade and Melo`s injuries, maybe both Knight and Kyle can get in....? Here`s hoping!

Melo is such a punk. It is so obvious that he is "playing through injuries" (whatever the hell that means) just so that he can get passed the All-Star game. He's shutting it down within 2 weeks of the All-Star game because he wants the exposure. It's all about #BrandManagement with these guys.

• Moderators

Melo is such a punk. It is so obvious that he is "playing through injuries" (whatever the hell that means) just so that he can get passed the All-Star game. He's shutting it down within 2 weeks of the All-Star game because he wants the exposure. It's all about #BrandManagement with these guys.

Not sure anybody fits that more than Melo.  

• Admin

They get bonuses for playing in the game

I think Knight will be the replacement for Wade as the Bucks deserve representation and we already have 3 players.  He has played well and is the best player on their team.  He deserves to be there as does KK.  If we didn't have so many guys then I can see Kyle getting it.

Brandon Knight is definitely deserving.  Who in their right minds picked Milwaukee to be not only in the playoff mix, but with a shot to be a top 4 seed in the EAST?  If not for us, Milwaukee would be the best story in the Eastern Conference.  Jason Kidd has done a wonderful job with that squad.

Having said that, Kyle should definitely be the replacement.  As lethalweapon3 stated, the East already has 4 PGs on the All-Star roster.  Adding a 5th PG, and leaving off the most feared spot-up shooter in the league, just wouldn't be right in my opinion.  If Kyle gets into the All-Star game, you'll see guys not only doing their thing, but also wanting to pass to Kyle . . just to see how many 3s he could make.

The real question is this.  If Kyle DOES make the All Star team, what other guy would you want to see out on the court when all 4 Hawks are in?  Because you know Bud would do it for at least a few minutes.   Lebron would be the obvious choice, but I would like to see Jimmy Butler play with those guys.   He's a restricted free agent in the summer, and while he may command a big money deal, he may not get it from the normally cheap Bulls.

PG - Teague

G - Korver

F - Butler

PF - Millsap

C - Horver

That's a hell of a squad right there.

• Like 1

They get bonuses for playing in the game

I think Knight will be the replacement for Wade as the Bucks deserve representation and we already have 3 players.  He has played well and is the best player on their team.  He deserves to be there as does KK.  If we didn't have so many guys then I can see Kyle getting it.

The bonus is either $25,000 or $50,000 depending on the outcome. That is not worth the risk of injury for that as Melo makes that money in a quarter. The real bonus is the media attention and exclusive interviews throughout the weekend that he will have on TNT. He wouldn't get that if he removed himself from the game.

Brandon Knight is definitely deserving. Who in their right minds picked Milwaukee to be not only in the playoff mix, but with a shot to be a top 4 seed in the EAST? If not for us, Milwaukee would be the best story in the Eastern Conference. Jason Kidd has done a wonderful job with that squad.

Having said that, Kyle should definitely be the replacement. As lethalweapon3 stated, the East already has 4 PGs on the All-Star roster. Adding a 5th PG, and leaving off the most feared spot-up shooter in the league, just wouldn't be right in my opinion. If Kyle gets into the All-Star game, you'll see guys not only doing their thing, but also wanting to pass to Kyle . . just to see how many 3s he could make.

The real question is this. If Kyle DOES make the All Star team, what other guy would you want to see out on the court when all 4 Hawks are in? Because you know Bud would do it for at least a few minutes. Lebron would be the obvious choice, but I would like to see Jimmy Butler play with those guys. He's a restricted free agent in the summer, and while he may command a big money deal, he may not get it from the normally cheap Bulls.

PG - Teague

G - Korver

F - Butler

PF - Millsap

C - Horver

Horver? Is that some kind of weird Korver / Horford love child??

Brandon Knight is definitely deserving. Who in their right minds picked Milwaukee to be not only in the playoff mix, but with a shot to be a top 4 seed in the EAST? If not for us, Milwaukee would be the best story in the Eastern Conference. Jason Kidd has done a wonderful job with that squad.

Having said that, Kyle should definitely be the replacement. As lethalweapon3 stated, the East already has 4 PGs on the All-Star roster. Adding a 5th PG, and leaving off the most feared spot-up shooter in the league, just wouldn't be right in my opinion. If Kyle gets into the All-Star game, you'll see guys not only doing their thing, but also wanting to pass to Kyle . . just to see how many 3s he could make.

The real question is this. If Kyle DOES make the All Star team, what other guy would you want to see out on the court when all 4 Hawks are in? Because you know Bud would do it for at least a few minutes. Lebron would be the obvious choice, but I would like to see Jimmy Butler play with those guys. He's a restricted free agent in the summer, and while he may command a big money deal, he may not get it from the normally cheap Bulls.

PG - Teague

G - Korver

F - Butler

PF - Millsap

C - Horver

That would indeed be helluva fascinating

Horver? Is that some kind of weird Korver / Horford love child??

That's doctor Frankenstein type stuff there.. auto mastic from three and the long twos! Now if we can just mix a little Dennis in there we would have the greatest NBA talent of all time

• Like 2

• Admin

The bonus is either $25,000 or $50,000 depending on the outcome. That is not worth the risk of injury for that as Melo makes that money in a quarter. The real bonus is the media attention and exclusive interviews throughout the weekend that he will have on TNT. He wouldn't get that if he removed himself from the game.

I was referring to bonuses in their contracts and from their sponsors which can be quite large

I agree that he should shut it down now ... he has already stated that he might shut it down after all star break ...

I was referring to bonuses in their contracts and from their sponsors which can be quite large

I agree that he should shut it down now ... he has already stated that he might shut it down after all star break ...

Those generally have clauses that only refer to selection into an All-Star game. He was selected, at this point he can shut it down and still recuperate the bonuses. But, no one can know for certain without looking at the actual language of the contract.

I think we're talking past each other though, the point still remains that he's attending the All-Star game for monetary gains either through a current contract or future contract.

That's what it's about, right?  Give me a break sMelo.  Didn't he say STTE that he wanted to be a 'cultural icon' or w/e.  What a fake.  Good luck stamping your "icon" status sorting through that filth the Knicks will be fielding on the court 'til that contract's done.

Also, w.r.t. Wade, I'd be surprised if he doesn't suit up.  I'd bet his all-star bonuses don't kick if he simply shows up.  I know he's already rich but a pile of money << a pile of money plus a bonus.

Brandon Knight is definitely deserving.  Who in their right minds picked Milwaukee to be not only in the playoff mix, but with a shot to be a top 4 seed in the EAST?  If not for us, Milwaukee would be the best story in the Eastern Conference.  Jason Kidd has done a wonderful job with that squad.

Having said that, Kyle should definitely be the replacement.  As lethalweapon3 stated, the East already has 4 PGs on the All-Star roster.  Adding a 5th PG, and leaving off the most feared spot-up shooter in the league, just wouldn't be right in my opinion.  If Kyle gets into the All-Star game, you'll see guys not only doing their thing, but also wanting to pass to Kyle . . just to see how many 3s he could make.

The real question is this.  If Kyle DOES make the All Star team, what other guy would you want to see out on the court when all 4 Hawks are in?  Because you know Bud would do it for at least a few minutes.   Lebron would be the obvious choice, but I would like to see Jimmy Butler play with those guys.   He's a restricted free agent in the summer, and while he may command a big money deal, he may not get it from the normally cheap Bulls.

PG - Teague

G - Korver

F - Butler

PF - Millsap

C - Horver

That's nice a squad.

Or maybe Teague, Korver, Millsap, Horford and Pau

• Moderators

That's doctor Frankenstein type stuff there.. auto mastic from three and the long twos! Now if we can just mix a little Dennis in there we would have the greatest NBA talent of all time

"Introducing, the Hörvder! It slices! It dices!"

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

That's what it's about, right?  Give me a break sMelo.  Didn't he say STTE that he wanted to be a 'cultural icon' or w/e.  What a fake.  Good luck stamping your "icon" status sorting through that filth the Knicks will be fielding on the court 'til that contract's done.

Also, w.r.t. Wade, I'd be surprised if he doesn't suit up.  I'd bet his all-star bonuses don't kick if he simply shows up.  I know he's already rich but a pile of money << a pile of money plus a bonus.

I don't think it is about money for these guys.  As @hawksfanatic said, the NBA contracts performance incentives for All-Star games are triggered on getting selected to the team - not playing in the game (neither the teams nor the NBAPA wants hurt players to push themselves into playing hurt for a bonus).  I would think the same about sponsor contracts but those are less predictable on this.

Media attention and ego?  A definite yes.