• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry is horrible at drafting in the 1st round

NBASupes

Late first rounders are somewhat of a crapshoot anyway.  And I still think Payne will be a solid player.  

The fact that Schröder looks like the real deal somewhat offsets this anyway IMO.

He was a mid first and was drafted before Nurkic and McGary. 

• Like 1

• Admin

He was a mid first and was drafted before Nurkic and McGary. 

It is a crapshoot ... you never really know who is going to pan out and who is years away...

Nurkic was thought to be a long time to develop ... 

You can say to pretty much every GM ... don't draft that guy after the fact.  

It is a crapshoot ... you never really know who is going to pan out and who is years away...

Nurkic was thought to be a long time to develop ... 

You can say to pretty much every GM ... don't draft that guy after the fact.  

It's not really a crapshoot. OKC seems to hit damn near most of their 1st round picks. 

Ferry just stinks at the draft in general.  Two picks he's made have actually contributed in the NBA and a handful will probably never even play at this level.

He missed on Jenkins, but hit on Scott..He missed on Bebe, but hit on Dennis..If you can get 1 good player in 2rd, youre doing pretty dang good.

And who knows what Payne will become? Not to mention all 3 draft classes were bad overall..

• Premium Member

Dang. Supe's on another crusade.

I agree with Terrell. There are very, very few GMs who can claim to have an exceptional drafting record relative to draft slot and to the number of players who eventually in hindsight were proven to be above-average at that spot in the draft versus the number who were less-than.

It's not really a crapshoot. OKC seems to hit damn near most of their 1st round picks. 

Every draft pick in every sport is a crapshoot. If you don't realize this then I don't know what to tell you.

And trying to sell a guy as some sort of NBA failure or washout after a few months is also quite short-sighted for such a message board expert.

You can't deny he's failed on 2 out of 3 mid-1st round picks. I can give him a pass on Jenkins but his 1st round drafting is no better than I'd expect any of us to be able to do. Thankfully he's good in the 2nd round, good at finding value in free agency and he's lucky we had a good PG and C to start with.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You can't deny he's failed on 2 out of 3 mid-1st round picks. I can give him a pass on Jenkins but his 1st round drafting is no better than I'd expect any of us to be able to do. Thankfully he's good in the 2nd round, good at finding value in free agency and he's lucky we had a good PG and C to start with.

Um. I'd like to try.

Dennis: Looking like an exceptional pick.

Bebe: Drafted as a project... nothing evident yet, but check back in a year or so to see if he's developed.

Payne: Drafted as NBA-ready, but couldn't hang with the rotation guys for one of the NBA's best teams... check back in a year or so to see if he's established himself in MIN's rotation.

My tally: 1 positive verdict, 2 jury's-still-outs.

And that's just the talent verdict.

As compelling as that to me is the slot verdict--ie, just how many players drafted within the 5-10 players behind him (thus, reasonably part of the pool of players rationally given some consideration) have turned out to seem to have a future at this stage... if only one guy fits that, I'm a whole lot more forgiving than if there are, say, 3 or 4 who have distinguished themselves, and not at all forgiving if there are 5 or more.

Edited by sturt

• Moderators

And John Jenkins is starting to look like Ferry's untouchable Golden boy, too.

I don't think so at all.  It looks to me like Payne had trade value and Jenkins didn't.  An offer less than what we got for Payne could land Jenkins today.

• Moderators

Um. I'd like to try.

Dennis: Looking like an exceptional pick.

Bebe: Drafted as a project... nothing evident yet, but check back in a year or so to see if he's developed.

Payne: Drafted as NBA-ready, but couldn't hang with the rotation guys for one of the NBA's best teams... check back in a year or so to see if he's established himself in MIN's rotation.

My tally: 1 positive verdict, 2 jury's-still-outs.

We cashed out on Bebe and Payne for less than overwhelming offers.  You can call the returns on those trades damning with faint praise or condemnations, IMO.  Either way you look at it, we didn't think their upside was worth the wait (with Bebe being waiting on a clock that hadn't even started running) which is enough for me to condemn when the return on both guys was not great.  (Return on Bebe was opening cap space to run for FAs but space we didn't actually use and return on Payne was a best case of picking at the same spot in a future draft with the worst case being second rounders).

Firsts

Jenkins:  Negative

Dennis:  Positive

Bebe:  Negative

Payne:  Negative

Seconds

Scott:  Positive

Moose:  Positive*

2013: Punt (traded both for future seconds)

Patterson:  Unknown

Tavares:  Positive

Overall that is an OK draft track record.  Not fantastic but not horrible and certainly not Babcock material by any stretch of the imagination.  

Fortunately, Ferry has hit some FA and trade home runs which can combine with that type of draft return to form our current team (among those home runs are Korver - trade/UFA, DMC - UFA, Thabo - UFA [technically a trade but let's be real], Sap - UFA, Bazemore - UFA, Mack - UFA, and Teague - RFA).

* = Totally was in there originally and not missed in the original post.  Edited this only to point out that he was in there.  Credit to @JayBirdHawk !

Edited by AHF

We cashed out on Bebe and Payne for less than overwhelming offers.  You can call the returns on those trades damning with faint praise or condemnations, IMO.  Either way you look at it, we didn't think their upside was worth the wait (with Bebe being waiting on a clock that hadn't even started running) which is enough for me to condemn when the return on both guys was not great.  (Return on Bebe was opening cap space to run for FAs but space we didn't actually use and return on Payne was a best case of picking at the same spot in a future draft with the worst case being second rounders).

Firsts

Jenkins:  Negative

Dennis:  Positive

Bebe:  Negative

Payne:  Negative

Seconds

Scott:  Positive

2013: Punt (traded both for future seconds)

Patterson:  Unknown

Tavares:  Positive

Overall that is an OK draft track record.  Not fantastic but not horrible and certainly not Babcock material by any stretch of the imagination.  

Fortunately, Ferry has hit some FA and trade home runs which can combine with that type of draft return to form our current team (among those home runs are Korver - trade/UFA, DMC - UFA, Thabo - UFA [technically a trade but let's be real], Sap - UFA, Bazemore - UFA, Mack - UFA, and Teague - RFA).

@AHF you forgot Moose.