• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Mavericks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Say that reminds me.   How is it that Dirk only takes 7 shots in the whole game.   It looked like he was just going up and down the court for no reason.   I think they way overplay Berea.   If my PG takes more shots than Dirk I"d bench him.    They looked so much better with Devin running the show and I kept thinking how much better they'd be if they had Shelvin Mack.   They really need Rondo if they can make it work.   

Say that reminds me. How is it that Dirk only takes 7 shots in the whole game. It looked like he was just going up and down the court for no reason. I think they way overplay Berea. If my PG takes more shots than Dirk I"d bench him. They looked so much better with Devin running the show and I kept thinking how much better they'd be if they had Shelvin Mack. They really need Rondo if they can make it work.

Mack might be better for them than Rondo, who'll never understand nor accept his role in their offense. I really enjoyed Harris when he was here, too. His role since then has been 10 minutes of speed and smart play, he always delivers. I always liked Carlisle but his defense isn't even remotely good enough for them to be considered a contender, Chandler or not. Edited by benhillboy

-JJ Barea is a punk.  I think he has a little bit of Napoleon syndrome out there.

-I love Dirk but he has just lost a step.  On a good night he can make up for his atrocious defense with some scoring but that wasn't tonight.

-Took us a little while but we found our groove and Kyle starting hitting some 3s.

-Dennis looking like he had something to prove against his fellow German.  He's showed up against the Mavs twice this season now.

-Crowd sounded pretty good for being the kind of conditions it was outside.

-Baze really showing that he can be another spark plug off the bench like Dennis.

• Like 2

As for Nique, I find his pronunciation just funny more than anything.  I don't think you're going to change him even if you tried, he's developed those habits himself and that's just how he says things.  Reminds me of my stepdad, he grew up saying things a certain way and even though he knows the correct way he just has it ingrained.

Honestly what bugs me more are the things he repeats game after game after game.....I'm sure we could make pages of these:

"Bob, that's what is known as a heat check."

"You don't switch under on Kyle Korver."

"That was the backbreaker. This games over."

"[insert team name here] didn't come out to play tonight.  Hawks should be able to handle this one."

Ok Nique, we get it.

Rondo apparently wanted to "run things" himself and didn't want

the head coach telling him anything.  He apparently couldn't disagree

without being disagreeable.

Since he seemed to be so arrogant, he found himself benched, not

on the active list for this game.

If the head coach is the boss, then the players do what the boss says

or they pay the price.  Good for him.  That's the way it should work.

If the animals run the zoo, what will be the outcome?  Likewise, if the

players can over ride the coaches and do things their own way then

we don't need the coach.

In the last game, Rondo refused to run the play that the coach called.

He went to the bench at that point and hasn't been on the floor since.

hunter.gif

• Like 1

During Nique Week, it'd be cool if the team gave away little Nique talking dolls, with the pull strings in the back.

~lw3

Lol, that'll be hilarious.

Pull my string and hear me say:

Heat check

Duruk Nowinski

never go under a Kyal Korver screen

Heat check

Duruk Nowinski

I was trying to think of a few more but that's pretty much the lot of his catchphrases. Maybe throw in "that was a terrible/ awful shot" and maybe add a Bob Rathburn doll in with the deluxe version so Nique can have a parrot feature.

Listening to telecasts around the league really makes him look bad. I was very impressed with the New Orleans color guy, he gave outstanding background info on opposing players during the Raptors game and had insights that even I didn't know and I try to follow them a little. Only Walt Frazier could maintain your attention during a Knicks game. And as obnoxious as Heinson is, even he blows Nique out of the water in terms of communicating the game at hand and applying his knowledge and experience.

Love Nique to death of course, but he's an embarrassment to the franchise in the booth, plain and simple. You have to have an extremely shrewd basketball mind and be an excellent orator to call this team. I hate that Hubie is on ESPN's payroll. We'd get much better national respect and notice if he were our voice. He'd have a new set of advanced stats ready to go every damn game. I'm sure Nique scoffs at study materials, thinking he can coast along off his HOF status alone. He'd have to understand advanced stats first, many of the 80's guys are still in caves.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Heat check

Duruk Nowinski

Don't forget Toronto's "Jameer Johnson". I don't think I have ever heard Nique call him Amir.

Edited by Sothron

Heat check

Duruk Nowinski

Would've also accepted 'Kile Kohrvah' or 'Ayl Horferd'.

• Moderators

The hairline is perfect! Although the nose looks like:

"Did I forgot to add a nose? D'oh! Hey, we got any extra Kenny Sky Walker noses laying around?"

Still, way to go, JC Penney!

~lw3

During Nique Week, it'd be cool if the team gave away little Nique talking dolls, with the pull strings in the back.

~lw3

Holy cow....-Phil bobblehead...Ahh look at that, talking Nixon -Kramer (on Seinfeld but it wasn't Nixon it was Phil Rizzuto)

Edited by Spud2Nique

I srsly think Nique was just trolling with the Derek Nowinski's. I mean he said it like 20 times during the game and always the full "Derek Nowinski", and not once "Nowinski shoots a three" or something. At all times the full nickname. I think its Nique's idea of having a good time.

I dont mind Nique. To me he always comes across like still being stuck in that 80's early 90's cool. Like some old hippie, but then the black athlete way. I thinks its kind of funny.

• Like 1

"and that's just a bad shot Bob"

I like it when somebody air-balls a three pointer  "Who opened a Door?"  (of course we don't get to hear that one much since Smoove is gone ;-)

Heck - U-Nique's "Nique-isms" are a big part of the broadcast.  I also liked "cooking with grease" ...which I think he dropped because it sounded too country.  How could we get through a game in the chat without "Heat checks" and "Daggers". 

I don't blame him for messing up names.  Dang foreigners wanna play in the NBA, they get their names "Americanized".  friends1.gif

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 3

I hate how he always says 'and again' before he starts every sentence... and most of the time it is the first time he has made that point for the night. That annoys me. Lately I've been listening to the other teams broadcast on ballstreams just to avoid Nique.

He's a total legend though. Give that man a statue.

• Like 1