• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Rockets

lethalweapon3

If I knew that JET terry had this kinda stuff in the tank, I would have pushed for us to bring him back to retire a Hawk.

Always been a JET fan. But if there is a proverbial tank, he emptied that mug tonight. I wouldn't expect another performance like this if I was a Rockets fan. He bested his average before he broke a sweat. Any other team in the Association they get a win off he, Jones, and Beverly going ham early. I'm so sorry.

• Premium Member

Always been a JET fan. But if there is a proverbial tank, he emptied that mug tonight. I wouldn't expect another performance like this if I was a Rockets fan. He bested his average before he broke a sweat. Any other team in the Association they get a win off he, Jones, and Beverly going ham early. I'm so sorry.

First time they've played without Harden.  I think Harden encompasses a lot of their offense.  It kind of tells me that they are capable of more.  Unfortunately, there are so many killers in the West that I don't know if they will get too far.  After the first round, I have:

PTL, OKC, DAL, and MEM left standing.

"dagger"

moving on to UGA Kentucky to see how long the Dawgs can hang in there

I couldn't watch the Hawks, but was watching the Cats. Charles Barkley came on with the announcers on that game and said he was there with Danny Ferry. Mentioned that he hoped he gets his job back with the Hawks and he thinks he should get executive of the year. That was unexpected.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I agree. He was a bonehead at times, but he was our bonehead and he did some really good things for this team. Also didn't like it when JJ came back the first few times and was booed. Not classy at all. That guy did a lot for our team and you can't blame him for signing a giant contract.

I'm not one to boo former players, after all they are human.   I appreciate many of the great things Josh and Joe did as Hawks.   But, notice that Josh and Joe get booed.   Zaza will never hear a boo in this town.   Marvin probably won't either.   Deke, Smitty, Mookie didn't get booed.  If Horford or Korver or Sap left they'd never hear a boo.   Why Josh and Joe?   Because they didn't really care that much about the fans.  Hell they've said as much.   

• Like 3

Josh Smith proving yet again that he does not understand basketball.

Down by one point in the 4th quarter with four minutes to go. Throws a lazy, terrible pass that's a turnover (and please stop calling him a good passer, he is NOT a good passer) that is picked off by Millsap. Josh cannot be bothered to hustle, so his man (Millsap) then jogs right him for a layup on the other end.

It's the complete summary of the josh Smith mentality in one play. The Hawks went up by three with every drop of momentum and all because Josh Smith felt like just taking a minute off after launching 6 threes. 

He is, and always was a mentally broken player. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm not one to boo former players, after all they are human.   I appreciate many of the great things Josh and Joe did as Hawks.   But, notice that Josh and Joe get booed.   Zaza will never hear a boo in this town.   Marvin probably won't either.   Deke, Smitty, Mookie didn't get booed.  If Horford or Korver or Sap left they'd never hear a boo.   Why Josh and Joe?   Because they didn't really care that much about the fans.  Hell they've said as much.   

I think the loudest boos should have been for Danny Manning.  The second loudest Marvin Williams.   Most players are not responsible for the way that they were traded or moved on.  The thing about Josh is that I wouldn't boo him because he did care about the city and So did Joe.   The whole thing that set Joe back was the contract.   Joe didn't ask for the contract, the sorry GM gave him that contract.   However, Joe took so much crap for that contract.  With that contract, he was automatically expected to take a broken team farther than they have ever gone?  Had Joe been given a 5 year 80 milllion dollar deal, I don't think he would have ever heard a boo from any fan.  In the last 30 year, he's been the only player to put us on a national spotlight (until now). Actually Josh too if you think about the slam dunk contest.  However, their perspective is theirs.. we were fairweather fans for them.  Everybody loved them against Boston in 2004.  Everybody hated them after that.  Everybody hated Joe with his contract.  Everybody hated Josh with his lack of basketball IQ.  The ownership went unchallenged, the GM went unquestioned, and the coach went unsupervised....  Let's understand, we were a cheap team that took Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Mike Woodson over several hall of fame coaches.  We became mediocrity because we never reached for greatness.

Do you blame the players for what the system wouldn't provide?

Their perspective was their reality.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

People don't boo Joe for the contract. They boo because of his sorry ass comments about the fans after the Magic series where the team was historically blown out.

I think that there's more booing him for the contract.

Where did the Joe hate begin??  He was booed in the Magic Series because we couldn't stop Dwight Howard??  We were blown out by 25 ppg average and that was Joe's fault?

No.  He was booed because we were blown out by 25 ppg by a superior Magic team and Joe was making 121 Million dollars.

If you ask me, it was an unfair expectation from a stupid contract by a GM (Sund) who was known for turning out stupid contracts.

How would you feel if you were sent out to play a superior team and your home crowd cheer for them and booed you?

Joe's reaction wasn't new.  I think Dominique, Smitty and Danny Manning all had problems with being on the other side of the Hawks fair weather fandom.  

We can't deny that there's some truth about the fair weatherness of the fans.  Even Stackhouse said that Josh should have taken the high road last night.   That's not saying that Josh was wrong... Just saying that Josh should have been bigger than that.   We are what we are... We are a fanbase that hasn't gotten behind our Hawks in about 30 years. I was there when the Pacers packed the OMNI with more fans than us.  I remember when Jordan, Wade, Lebron, Shaq, and other would come to the Hawks arena and the fans cheered them more than they cheered our guys.  The culture is just now changing but it's true, there's a lot of bandwagon fans.  I say we just own it and not try  to act like our newly acquired fanbase has been with us all the time.  Let's embrace the bandwagon because hey... we have changed the culture...  Here's the new logo.

Bandwagon_brass_small.jpg

And with that, let's forgive those guys who had to suffer through the old culture, wear the Hawks Jersey, and feel some kind of way because they were not used to being booed at home!!

• Moderators

I think that there's more booing him for the contract.

Where did the Joe hate begin??  He was booed in the Magic Series because we couldn't stop Dwight Howard??  We were blown out by 25 ppg average and that was Joe's fault?

No.  He was booed because we were blown out by 25 ppg by a superior Magic team and Joe was making 121 Million dollars.

If you ask me, it was an unfair expectation from a stupid contract by a GM (Sund) who was known for turning out stupid contracts.

How would you feel if you were sent out to play a superior team and your home crowd cheer for them and booed you?

Joe's reaction wasn't new.  I think Dominique, Smitty and Danny Manning all had problems with being on the other side of the Hawks fair weather fandom.  

We can't deny that there's some truth about the fair weatherness of the fans.  Even Stackhouse said that Josh should have taken the high road last night.   That's not saying that Josh was wrong... Just saying that Josh should have been bigger than that.   We are what we are... We are a fanbase that hasn't gotten behind our Hawks in about 30 years. I was there when the Pacers packed the OMNI with more fans than us.  I remember when Jordan, Wade, Lebron, Shaq, and other would come to the Hawks arena and the fans cheered them more than they cheered our guys.  The culture is just now changing but it's true, there's a lot of bandwagon fans.  I say we just own it and not try  to act like our newly acquired fanbase has been with us all the time.  Let's embrace the bandwagon because hey... we have changed the culture...  Here's the new logo.

Bandwagon_brass_small.jpg

And with that, let's forgive those guys who had to suffer through the old culture, wear the Hawks Jersey, and feel some kind of way because they were not used to being booed at home!!

I just disagree with almost all of this.   Josh and Joe are the only hawks i can remember to express indifference (if not comtempt) for the fans.   They are also the only former Hawks that get booed.  Coincidence?   Steve Smith had a gigantic contract for the time.  Why is he universally loved by Hawks fans?

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I just disagree with almost all of this.   Josh and Joe are the only hawks i can remember to express indifference (if not comtempt) for the fans.   They are also the only former Hawks that get booed.  Coincidence?   Steve Smith had a gigantic contract for the time.  Why is he universally loved by Hawks fans?

you and I have different recollections.  I specifically remember Jason Terry going to Utah and just bad mouthing the Atlanta Fans only to have Babcock match his contract and him having to come back and humble up.  I specifically remember Deke talking about how our fans are the worst in the league after becoming a 76er.  Al Harrington had words about our fans. I remember Manning saying the reason he signed with Phoenix was the fanbase in Atlanta.   I recall Nique... the man we're raising a statue for  When he arrived in LAC this is what he said " "I’ve always wanted to be in L.A. When you’re on a winning team you want to stay and do well, but I’m finally coming to a team that respects me and my ability. The Clippers have talent but you need leadership, someone to step forward. I will do that for the Clippers."

He also said something about the fanbase when he went to Boston and the Celtics fans booed him.  He said something like, he played in Atlanta and he was use to being disrespected by the fans or soemthing like that.

The point is that there have been several players who have worn Hawks Jerseys who have commented on the fact that our fans are sometimy.  I say let's not hide from it, let's embrace that as the old culture.  Let's not lie to ourselves any longer.

Finally, if you want to see how we treat players with large contracts, call in Jon Koncak and Chris Crawford and ask them about being booed in Atlanta.

• Moderators

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure Jet would've played well in our system.  Seems like a different lifetime since he played here. 

Our comeback was impressive.  That's the kind of moxy we will need in the playoffs.  

Agreed but we can't dig those kind of holes in the playoffs and we won't have that much dumb play on the other side to help us out. 

Five star post! 

• Like 2

You're not sucking me into a stupid argument. If you want to be abstruse about this Joe thing then go ahead, but people boo him because he insulted the fans.

If you want to assume that fans boo Joe for a stupid reason (the contract) and then complain that fans are being stupid then go ahead. It reflects more on you than it does the fans.

I had to go and look that ish up and...

Abstruseusually used in reference to the content of a written, sung, or spoken text—means difficult to understand. Obtuse means (1) not pointed (in reference to an object) or (2) simpleminded or imperceptive (in reference to a person). So, if we go by these definitions, abstruse should never refer to a person or a physical object, and obtuse should never (or very rarely) refer to a text.
  • Like 1

It's funny to see people on here defend the booing of these guys.  They make comments to the media which they have a right to, but somehow they are free from any repercussions?

These guys are paid extremely well (partly by us fans) to be in the spotlight and show up every night and deal with these sorts of things.  If people want to boo because they didn't like what they said about the fans or for any other reason that's their right.

Personally I wouldn't boo Josh but you can bet I was cheering at home when he was jacking up 3's for Houston.  Josh gave us some good publicity in his time here:  dunk contest, his many highlights, etc. but he still makes me scratch my head.

To this day I'll never understand how he had his albatross of a year with only 7 3s for the season and shooting over 50% FGs only to revert to his old ways again.  The guy has nobody to blame but himself so I can't feel bad.  Unfortunately he will never see it.......

Is it classy to take the high road and not boo?  Sure, but the same could be said for the players when asked baiting questions by the media.

Oh and last thing about the game:  that was one of the worst officiated ones in my opinion.

Millsap got mugged a few times with no calls.  Also I was getting pissed at every offensive foul called on the Hawks.  Montiejunas was sliding right under the Hawks (still moving) and they were calling it.  He was totally flopping on a couple of them as well.  Ridiculous.

• Like 2

Oh and last thing about the game:  that was one of the worst officiated ones in my opinion.

Millsap got mugged a few times with no calls.  Also I was getting pissed at every offensive foul called on the Hawks.  Montiejunas was sliding right under the Hawks (still moving) and they were calling it.  He was totally flopping on a couple of them as well.  Ridiculous.

Monty was already falling before contact in some a couple instances.