• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sorry to be critical, but...

GrantElliott

Nique kinda drives me nuts with his color commentary. He was my idol as a child. If I could afford it, I'd have a signed #21 in my basement. I met him once when I was little with my father and he was so unassuming, and a class act.

However, his commentary while not terrible, is a little annoying at times. First, he's overly critical of the other team. Instead of complimenting the Hawks more, and giving them credit, he often bad mouths them. Second, if he says "that's the back breaker" one more time when the game isn't close to being decided I might shoot myself.

Love ya, Nique. Just had to vent.

• Like 3

This is nothing that many here aren't harping about a lot, especially a lot more lately. I had to watch the Houston broadcast tonight and while I don't generally like their teams broadcasters, it was better than hearing Nique call the game after a single play or hear him parroting Bob all night. He's definitely overly critical of the other team for doing things that our team does and he says nothing about it. 

You were right the first time he is terrible, can't articulate himself well enough, butchers people's names, says the same 3 catch phrases, always points out the most obvious, adds little insight, he pretty much repeats what bob points out.

• Premium Member

When he first started out, I felt the same way you did.  Especially since I really loved Smitty's commentary.  I've gotten used to Nique though.  His blatant, uber-homerism is funny to me...

Though, when he calls a game with a "dagger" or a "back breaker" with 5 minutes to go....I cringe every time! lol I hate it so much.  "...and the Hawks are gonna get out of here with the win tonight, Bob."  lol  Oh, I just wanna grab him and shake him.

I love him to death though.  

Really wish I could hear repeat that one line..."They basically shot their wad.  They're done, Bob."  No...!  I wish that I could have seen Bob's face on that one.

• Premium Member

You were right the first time he is terrible, can't articulate himself well enough, butchers people's names, says the same 3 catch phrases, always points out the most obvious, adds little insight, he pretty much repeats what bob points out.

My favorite Nique Name is "CAL KORVER!" lol :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

"You can't go under on Kyle Korver!"

"The Atlanta Hawks have just broke the backs of the Houston Rockets."

"Heatchek!"

And Bob, you are never going to get those damn socks.

My favorite Nique Name is "CAL KORVER!" lol grin.gif

Nimbers and linth

• Like 2

Be careful of being too critical... Some will take shots at you while blocking you at the same time. That way they can hit and run.

You sound bitter..lol

My favorite Nique Name is "CAL KORVER!" lol :D

No!!! He says Cow.....:-/

Sorry I'm not ashamed. Guy is a Ferry hater and a horrible announcer without an original thought in his head. He was a great player no doubt but even back then I recall being pissed at him when he'd rarely pass and would take terrible shots. He's not the reason I became a Hawks fan but I am proud he was a Hawk great. I just can't stand him as an announcer any longer and don't appreciate him trying to push Ferry out.

• Like 1

The theme runs through every opposing teams' message board about Nique, it never fails. I don't condone it but a dude flat out called Nique "stupid".

Announcers should be very good to where you notice, or simply ignorable so you can enjoy the game. Our team is neither. It's embarrassing. Sir Foster usually gets poor reviews but there's usually someone with a good story or gif who loves him. They did point out that Nique was very complimentary of Terrance Jones.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Nique kinda drives me nuts with his color commentary. He was my idol as a child. If I could afford it, I'd have a signed #21 in my basement. I met him once when I was little with my father and he was so unassuming, and a class act.

However, his commentary while not terrible, is a little annoying at times. First, he's overly critical of the other team. Instead of complimenting the Hawks more, and giving them credit, he often bad mouths them. Second, if he says "that's the back breaker" one more time when the game isn't close to being decided I might shoot myself.

Love ya, Nique. Just had to vent.

One of the things I have noticed about Nique this year is that he seems to be complimentary of the other team sometimes.  I think he's shooting for a national job ala Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley... however, I don't think Nique will work nationally.   Either that or he doesn't want to jinx the team??

• Premium Member

I like wilkins' commentary. He and rathbun balance each other out well imo.

I just don't want to here him and Rathbun talking about "Chicken Wings" anymore.. Somebody please bring them a plate!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sorry I'm not ashamed. Guy is a Ferry hater and a horrible announcer without an original thought in his head. He was a great player no doubt but even back then I recall being pissed at him when he'd rarely pass and would take terrible shots. He's not the reason I became a Hawks fan but I am proud he was a Hawk great. I just can't stand him as an announcer any longer and don't appreciate him trying to push Ferry out.

Dude this Ferry love is beyond the Team.  We have squandered some draft picks because of Ferry.  Had Ferry had his way, we would have moved Teague by now.  Ferry brought a good blueprint but it's the same talking points we got from BK.  Ferry just had a much better coach.

Ferry deserves his credit and his discredits but what this Hawks team have is beyond even Ferry.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Dude this Ferry love is beyond the Team.  We have squandered some draft picks because of Ferry.  Had Ferry had his way, we would have moved Teague by now.  Ferry brought a good blueprint but it's the same talking points we got from BK.  Ferry just had a much better coach.

Ferry deserves his credit and his discredits but what this Hawks team have is beyond even Ferry.

This has been debated to death but the truth is that the only guy on this team that Ferry didn't put on it is Horford.   That's a simple fact.  Even if you think the 'talking points' are the same, the results are vastly different.   Unless I'm forgetting when BK's team was the best in the NBA.

It is genetically impossible for me to bash Dominique Wilkins.

That being said, I can totally understand where people get annoyed. Nique isn't the most eloquent guy on the stick. Our announcers are super homers, but most are. It's just more noticeable when you're watching another team's broadcast. 

Clyde Frazier is my favorite opposing announcer. He's so ridiculously goofy with his rhymes. 

I'd also like to add; FREE GUS JOHNSON!