• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sorry to be critical, but...

GrantElliott

Sorry I'm not ashamed. Guy is a Ferry hater and a horrible announcer without an original thought in his head. He was a great player no doubt but even back then I recall being pissed at him when he'd rarely pass and would take terrible shots. He's not the reason I became a Hawks fan but I am proud he was a Hawk great. I just can't stand him as an announcer any longer and don't appreciate him trying to push Ferry out.

I'm seriously torn here...I'll always love Nique and none of his announcing crap can ever change that. At the same time, I want Ferry back, after all he constructed us.

• Premium Member

This has been debated to death but the truth is that the only guy on this team that Ferry didn't put on it is Horford.   That's a simple fact.  Even if you think the 'talking points' are the same, the results are vastly different.   Unless I'm forgetting when BK's team was the best in the NBA.

No. I credit Ferry for his pickups.  However, he still has squandered his share of draft picks.  It's hard being a GM. I think that when you look at where we are right now... there's a lot of Serendipity to this team.  Stuff that Ferry never dreamt up.  Let's not forget, Ferry was on the trail of Monte Ellis and we'd have him instead of Teague right now if that would have worked.  We'd have D12 instead of Millsap if that would have worked.  We have traded two first round bigs for shit so far and Jenkins is what??   Ferry has done a lot of good for this team and for the city.  Mainly bringing in Bud.  However, had he not been forced to resign Teague.  Had Al not been such a good bargain and had some of his plans not failed so miserably, who knows what we would have??

For now, this is my view of Ferry:

PeeWee.png

• Like 1

• Moderators

No. I credit Ferry for his pickups.  However, he still has squandered his share of draft picks.  It's hard being a GM. I think that when you look at where we are right now... there's a lot of Serendipity to this team.  Stuff that Ferry never dreamt up.  Let's not forget, Ferry was on the trail of Monte Ellis and we'd have him instead of Teague right now if that would have worked.  We'd have D12 instead of Millsap if that would have worked.  We have traded two first round bigs for shit so far and Jenkins is what??   Ferry has done a lot of good for this team and for the city.  Mainly bringing in Bud.  However, had he not been forced to resign Teague.  Had Al not been such a good bargain and had some of his plans not failed so miserably, who knows what we would have??

For now, this is my view of Ferry:

PeeWee.png

Your treating rumors of things that didn't happen as fact and assuming that they would have be failures.  That's BS.   Before the season you were arguing Ferry sucked and this team would be average at best.  Now you're arguing that Ferry was not only lucky but didn't really believe in this team.   More BS.

No one has a perfect draft record, especially later in the draft.  Last night Dennis and Scott were keys to bringing the hammer down on one of the top teams in the west.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

He's not a big time announcer and should be fired.  I doubt it would ever happen.  Everything surrounding the team is too political these days.

Dude this Ferry love is beyond the Team.  We have squandered some draft picks because of Ferry.  Had Ferry had his way, we would have moved Teague by now.  Ferry brought a good blueprint but it's the same talking points we got from BK.  Ferry just had a much better coach.

Ferry deserves his credit and his discredits but what this Hawks team have is beyond even Ferry.

So you're saying Ferry didn't match Teague? You're saying it was a bad idea to let the market set the rate for Teague, which we could match, and are now reaping the benefits of? 

Did Ferry not bring in the coach? Would Bud be here without Ferry? Would Bud's system work if not for the players Ferry put in place on this team? 

Stop the Ferry hate!! 

It's one thing to take issue with his drafting, which I agree with to an extent (the 1st round excluding Dennis) but it's another to blatantly lie to try and make your point. 

All you guys picking Ferry over Nique(even though there is no proof he initiated anything that has befallen Ferry) are certainly putting the cart before the horse.  All this winning is good, but you guys are ignoring the other principles like Bud, the Asst. GM, and Koonin.  Not to mention that Ferry has yet to win a playoff series.  But, hey to each his own.  Half of y'all aren't true Atliens anyway so what do you care if he gets love from the city and team?  You aren't footing the bill.  Its a damn shame he gets more respect from ESPN than the Hawks fan base.

Edited by HawkItus
  • Like 1

Bob really carries Nique during the broadcasts as he's always giving the audience different insights about the game. Nique is what he is.

This is pretty much how I feel.  If we didn't have Bob or another announcer to carry a broadcast, it would be a disaster.  As it stands I can tolerate Nique but he still makes me cringe from time to time.

It's a tough position because Nique is our biggest name and wants to be a part of our organization which I love.  Problem is I think he is kind of blind to what his strength/weaknesses are and who would want to be the one to tell the franchise's biggest player that he is not a good broadcaster?  He doesn't seem to be the type that would take criticism well.

I also get a slight sense of self-righteousness.  He loves people telling him how great he was and pats himself on the back from time to time which bugs me.

• Like 1

Clyde Frazier is my favorite opposing announcer. He's so ridiculously goofy with his rhymes. 

I love listening to Clyde too.  He has a smooth voice - I picture him doing the mic at a jazz club - and he always has something entertaining to say.

I love listening to Clyde too.  He has a smooth voice - I picture him doing the mic at a jazz club - and he always has something entertaining to say.

Really? I want to punch him in the face when I hear him use words that just don't belong in basketball announcing. Plus he's a Knicks homer (no shame there as he should be one) and that just annoys me. He's not the worst as that's reserved for the Heat announcers and the Celtics announcers (I know I'm forgetting another annoying pair as well) as they are definitely the worst.

It seems like the closer we get to this statue the worse he becomes. He had opposing fans raging last night for sure. He does no research whatsoever, he's not balanced at all in his commentary, he usually finds at least one opposing player to roast the entire game, he's repetitive as all hell, he's not very articulate or clever, and he's completely full of himself. I don't hate the guy by any means, but I don't have the same connection to him that many of you do. I wish he had a much smaller role within the organization. 

Happy Nique Week, everybody! 

• Like 2

It seems like the closer we get to this statue the worse he becomes. He had opposing fans raging last night for sure. He does no research whatsoever, he's not balanced at all in his commentary, he usually finds at least one opposing player to roast the entire game, he's repetitive as all hell, he's not very articulate or clever, and he's completely full of himself. I don't hate the guy by any means, but I don't have the same connection to him that many of you do. I wish he had a much smaller role within the organization. 

What drove me nuts last night is when he's talking trash about the Rockets 7'er (who's actually a decent 3pt shooter) taking 3's while he completely dismisses the fact that ours spends more time out there and isn't as good of a shooter.

• Like 1

Really? I want to punch him in the face when I hear him use words that just don't belong in basketball announcing. Plus he's a Knicks homer (no shame there as he should be one) and that just annoys me. He's not the worst as that's reserved for the Heat announcers and the Celtics announcers (I know I'm forgetting another annoying pair as well) as they are definitely the worst.

Josh, you're forgetting the Clippers' announcers who've apparently bought into that squad's complaining mentality.  I had the displeasure of listening to their broadcast when we played them.  Almost made me give up being a fan of the game of basketball.

Nique kinda drives me nuts with his color commentary. He was my idol as a child. If I could afford it, I'd have a signed #21 in my basement. I met him once when I was little with my father and he was so unassuming, and a class act.

However, his commentary while not terrible, is a little annoying at times. First, he's overly critical of the other team. Instead of complimenting the Hawks more, and giving them credit, he often bad mouths them. Second, if he says "that's the back breaker" one more time when the game isn't close to being decided I might shoot myself.

Love ya, Nique. Just had to vent.

When you listen to the other guys around the league, the Hawks announce team is not only one of the more entertaining duos, they're also one of the more HONEST groups when announcing a game.  Rathburn plays a more homer type, while Nique gives you the type of commentary that you'd expect from a former player.

And when Nique announces a game and says that's the "dagger" or the "back breaker", the fan base should rejoice, because the Hawks win 95% of those games.  I think the only game we lost after Nique said that, was the Orlando game in which Tobias Harris beat us at the buzzer.  Oh . . and the Boston game right before the All-Star break.

I'm on the opposite end when it comes to Nique.  I think a good number of fans simply don't give the guy the respect that he deserves.  So what if he mispronounce names at times.  So what if he isn't giving out some in-depth X's and O's type of analysis.

We COULD have a completely annoying guy like Stacy King as the color commentator ( Bulls ).  We COULD have a straight up homer like a Tommy Heinson as the color commentator ( Celtics ).  Instead we have Nique, a living legend to a franchise that pretty much denied him of his only legitimate shot to win a championship.  And despite all of that, he's stayed loyal to the franchise.

Honestly, Friday night should be one of the greatest nights in this franchise's history.  Nique gets his statue, and I'm sure one of of the best highlight tributes ever seen. AND we play the league's darling Cleveland Cavaliers in the process.  We could have a chance to celebrate that win PLUS knock off King James and his minions on the same night.

Respect the Hall of Famer . . .even if he annoys you.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the Celtics guys, they annoy me the most but I don't mind Clyde I guess because I never take him too seriously.  It's just comical to me, though I would say I'd never want him as my announcer.

All you guys picking Ferry over Nique(even though there is no proof he initiated anything that has befallen Ferry) are certainly putting the cart before the horse.  All this winning is good, but you guys are ignoring the other principles like Bud, the Asst. GM, and Koonin.  Not to mention that Ferry has yet to win a playoff series.  But, hey to each his own.  Half of y'all aren't true Atliens anyway so what do you care if he gets love from the city and team?  You aren't footing the bill.  Its a damn shame he gets more respect from ESPN than the Hawks fan base.

The entire membership here should be liking this post.  But they love Ferry so much, that they'll diss the Hall of Famer who is STILL the face of the damn franchise, over a guy that STILL hasn't had the balls to apologize to the fan base face to face.   Had to issue a dang statement, and hasn't shown his face around here since September.

Yet, Nique continues to be the ambassador for this franchise through thick and thin.  Traded him on the best team he ever played on in ATL, and he STILL came back.   No one is more loyal to the Atlanta Hawks than that guy.  But the fan base talks about him like he's Eldridge Recasner or somebody.   Just a lack of respect all the way around.   

This should be a flat out celebratory week for this fan base.  Instead, people still hold grudges toward Nique because he doesn't speak well, is TOO SUPPORTIVE of the Hawks, and aligned himself with a guy who has been a longtime friend and supporter.

It's sickening, to be honest.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Are you Nique's former suit guy? 

Edited by NineOhTheRino

You guys REALLY need League Pass . . or just need to listen to some of these other announce teams, if you really think Nique is so terrible.

• Premium Member

You guys REALLY need League Pass . . or just need to listen to some of these other announce teams, if you really think Nique is so terrible.

Sorry but I have to cosign with the others here.  Listening to Nique is damn near like listening to Pootie Tang.