• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sorry to be critical, but...

GrantElliott

Until Nique trashes the team, has a scandal surface about him or leaves to serve another franchise for whatever reason he is absolutely above all criticism.

I am 27 years old. I wasnt blessed with the opportunity to watch Nique in a Hawks uniform. I barely even recall the Smith/Blaylock days. I started watching this team seriously in maybe 2002 and just before Smitty was our color guy and he was great at it. But when they announced that the new ownership was going through extreme measures to involve Nique with the franchise I was estatic, and when Smitty left and Nique became the color guy I loved it. Has he been the greatest commentator? Nope not even close. Smitty still runs circles around him. But I love that every night when I watch my Hawks we get to hear from the greatest modern era Hawk hands down.

Nique represents the city of Atlanta in so many ways. He represents everything our franchise is defined as. Any kid growing up in Atlanta knew of the legend that he was. We all knew Jordan was the best player on Earth but Nique could fly just as high. We loved Smitty and Mutumbo just like we loved Joe and Josh but we were in AWE of Nique. He was an immortal and until recently he was always underrated and disrespected. Its just like our team now, like its always been since he played, nobody talks about our substance its all surface BS. Nique struggled with us as fans trying to become a contender during the 80's. We traded him and he never found the same success with another team as he did with us. It was like we were a match made in heaven and neither he nor our franchise would work without the other. Him being brought back to the organization was like two exes admitting that they truly needed one another.

So yes you are damned right he is a homer and if he wasnt I would have a bigger issue with him. Yeah he dogged Jordan Crawford and last I checked Crawford has shot himself out of an NBA career. Maybe he could have listened to Nique's criticism and had a decent career. Heat check, dagger, nimbers, whatever you want to throw out there he is OURS and the one thing I wish Atlanta sports fans would do better is respect our living legends. We dont have a sterling chamionship history but we do have the memories of some of the greatest moments in sports and its thanks to guys like Nique.

Respect the #truelegend , we could be stuck with some loser like Vivlamore sitting next to Rathburn then what would yal say.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Nique is eons better now than when he started announcing games. Guess that's kinda sad considering but oh well. I am also mad at Nique for his stubbornness with the Ferry situation but can't talk shit about the man. You guys should listen to his interview on 92.9 The Game today. The man absolutely LOVES Atlanta and accepts being the face of the franchise. So many others have turned their backs on us over the years.

Think about all the sneaky bs Ferry pulled when he first came here.  You know how the business world works.  Guys pick sides.  It's obvious (well obvious to me) Ferry picked the side opposing Nique.  

but....

That has nothing to do with Nique being an awful  commentator.  I can't believe no one around him has the balls to tell him such.  Nique would be decent If they could get him to use less cliches and  stop being so repetitive.  But that will never happen since he's surrounded by a bunch of middle aged fanboys. 

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Downgrade? I had NBA League Pass for probably most of those years as well and I can assure you that Ballstreams is an UPGRADE over NBA League Pass in every way. 

Over DirecTV?

Over DirecTV?

For purely TV viewing, yea you can't beat your cable/satellite provider but if you're one who can't always be in the comfort of your home to catch a game then yea, Ballstreams is an upgrade. Streaming on my phone using barely any data and on their lowest quality stream looks better than stuff you actually bought and downloaded. Additionally they don't have any of the hiccups that makes league pass online a maddening experience but yea, you're good if you mostly prefer TV viewing.

For purely TV viewing, yea you can't beat your cable/satellite provider but if you're one who can't always be in the comfort of your home to catch a game then yea, Ballstreams is an upgrade. Streaming on my phone using barely any data and on their lowest quality stream looks better than stuff you actually bought and downloaded. Additionally they don't have any of the hiccups that makes league pass online a maddening experience but yea, you're good if you mostly prefer TV viewing.

This is intriguing to me if it is that good. I watch most of the games in my living room, but if I could Cast or AirPlay it from my phone or iPad at a good quality, I'd be all for it. Maybe i'll give it a try and save myself some money next season.

I have Comcast and they only broadcast 1-2 games a night in HD, the rest in SD. I get every single game from Ballstreams in HD and it costs a lot less. So for me it's not even a question. 

Now vs DirecTV I know they have all of theirs in HD but it's really not a difference except DirecTV you'd be able to record the games (although you can always watch archived games in Ballstreams) BUT DirecTV League Pass costs A LOT more. 

Think about all the sneaky bs Ferry pulled when he first came here.  You know how the business world works.  Guys pick sides.  It's obvious (well obvious to me) Ferry picked the side opposing Nique.  

but....

That has nothing to do with Nique being an awful  commentator.  I can't believe no one around him has the balls to tell him such.  Nique would be decent If they could get him to use less cliches and  stop being so repetitive.  But that will never happen since he's surrounded by a bunch of middle aged fanboys. 

What sneaky BS are you referring to? 

I have Comcast and they only broadcast 1-2 games a night in HD, the rest in SD. I get every single game from Ballstreams in HD and it costs a lot less. So for me it's not even a question. 

Now vs DirecTV I know they have all of theirs in HD but it's really not a difference except DirecTV you'd be able to record the games (although you can always watch archived games in Ballstreams) BUT DirecTV League Pass costs A LOT more. 

What sneaky BS are you referring to? 

Really?  Well that's awful.  I have Time Warner and they broadcast all the games in both HD and SD.  Only sometimes if it's a packed night of like 13 games over the 7-8 starting time slot then some unlucky game would get kicked to SD only and if its a moderately crowded night it would be a crap shoot over which announcing feed you'd get.  But yes, regardless, you can't beat the price.

Really?  Well that's awful.  I have Time Warner and they broadcast all the games in both HD and SD.  Only sometimes if it's a packed night of like 13 games over the 7-8 starting time slot then some unlucky game would get kicked to SD only and if its a moderately crowded night it would be a crap shoot over which announcing feed you'd get.  But yes, regardless, you can't beat the price.

Yeah Comcast is waaaaay behind the times on that and I don't understand it. 

Until Nique trashes the team, has a scandal surface about him or leaves to serve another franchise for whatever reason he is absolutely above all criticism.

I am 27 years old. I wasnt blessed with the opportunity to watch Nique in a Hawks uniform. I barely even recall the Smith/Blaylock days. I started watching this team seriously in maybe 2002 and just before Smitty was our color guy and he was great at it. But when they announced that the new ownership was going through extreme measures to involve Nique with the franchise I was estatic, and when Smitty left and Nique became the color guy I loved it. Has he been the greatest commentator? Nope not even close. Smitty still runs circles around him. But I love that every night when I watch my Hawks we get to hear from the greatest modern era Hawk hands down.

Nique represents the city of Atlanta in so many ways. He represents everything our franchise is defined as. Any kid growing up in Atlanta knew of the legend that he was. We all knew Jordan was the best player on Earth but Nique could fly just as high. We loved Smitty and Mutumbo just like we loved Joe and Josh but we were in AWE of Nique. He was an immortal and until recently he was always underrated and disrespected. Its just like our team now, like its always been since he played, nobody talks about our substance its all surface BS. Nique struggled with us as fans trying to become a contender during the 80's. We traded him and he never found the same success with another team as he did with us. It was like we were a match made in heaven and neither he nor our franchise would work without the other. Him being brought back to the organization was like two exes admitting that they truly needed one another.

So yes you are damned right he is a homer and if he wasnt I would have a bigger issue with him. Yeah he dogged Jordan Crawford and last I checked Crawford has shot himself out of an NBA career. Maybe he could have listened to Nique's criticism and had a decent career. Heat check, dagger, nimbers, whatever you want to throw out there he is OURS and the one thing I wish Atlanta sports fans would do better is respect our living legends. We dont have a sterling chamionship history but we do have the memories of some of the greatest moments in sports and its thanks to guys like Nique.

Respect the #truelegend , we could be stuck with some loser like Vivlamore sitting next to Rathburn then what would yal say.

Nominee for Post of the Year.   Excellent commentary man.

• Like 1

but....

What announcer DOESN'T use cliches?   I mean, seriously?  Cliches are what announcers become known for.  Ya'll kill Dominique for doing things that most announcers in sports do.   Can you name 5 announcers that DOESN'T use a cliche?   And last I checked, a team's home announcers aren't expected to be entirely neutral in calling a game.  Nique and Bob slant toward the Hawks, but they'l give the opponents credit as well.

So this is awful announcing right here?

In the clip below, Nique expresses a growing opinion that the Cavs should actually foul right here, to put the Hawks on the FT line . . . rather than to let someone shoot a 3 to tie or beat you.  

Cavs were up 3 with 5 seconds ago.  If they foul, they put a guy on the line and pretty much force him to make the 1st FT and miss the 2nd, then get a rebound and try to score, in about a 3 second span.   Or you can play defense and hope you can prevent a clutch shooter from getting off a good look at a 3.   Cleveland decides to play defense, and this is what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7jsGusGRk

Bob and Nique accurately point out that you can't give JJ that much room to shoot the ball.  It wasn't some great in-depth analysis.  It was simply telling it like it is.

But to you guys, this type of commentary is just so bad, you have to turn the sound down.

Well if you guys don't like Nique, don't EVER listen to Holman on the radio.  He's not only a huge homer, he'll crack jokes on the Hawks themselves, and get all bent out of shape if calls go against us.  AND he uses cliches too.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

This is one of Holman's most famous commentary lines, which was said during the 2009 playoffs vs Miami.  Coming from Holman, people love this.  It's the type of unobjective homerism that is routinely heard on team radio broadcasts.

Had Nique said this on TV though, they'd despise him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXds7oOCdTw

This is one of Holman's most famous commentary lines, which was said during the 2009 playoffs vs Miami.  Coming from Holman, people love this.  It's the type of unobjective homerism that is routinely heard on team radio broadcasts.

Had Nique said this on TV though, they'd despise him.

Bob would have had to have said it first before Nique would have said it. That's why I don't like him as an announcer.

Lol I really want to start some kind of initiative to help our "poor sports town " Like we are as spoiled as the offspring of our cities celebrities. This bigger than Nique as an announcer, much bigger. We worry so much about what another teams fans say about us or what the national media isnt saying about us and we never just sit back and enjoy our own.

News flash, and this is bigger than the Hawks because Falcons fans are the same way. Nobody outside of our fanbase is ever going to truly like anything about us, like just understand that fact for the love of God. NOBODY WILL EVER LIKE ATLANTA SPORTS NO MATTER WHAT WE DO OR HOW MUCH WE WIN. There will ALWAYS be a reason for somebody to hate on us. If we win a championship, theyll say we should of won 2. If we win 2 then Chicago and LA and Boston have won more so we still arent good enough. Do you see the pattern.

Lets please just elevate our thinking and stop worrying for one moment about what we dont have and what other teams are doing. "Oh GS has Splash Brothers? Lets call our guys the Flash Brothers." Jealousy is a sin guys. Lets appreciate the fact that we have a team that win or lose, they arent all over the news for beating wives or choking their coaches or fighting fans in the stands.

As fans we have full control over ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except showing up and yelling at the top of our lungs until we lose our voice and go home drunk only to be late to work the next day. Lets get that part of our job down pat before we have the audacity to criticize these guys who all grew up fans of other teams in other cities but are now playing under our banner in OUR city. A new day has come where this woe is me pity party has to end. If we ever want any outsider to respect us or our teams then we have have to do so first. And if they never come around then F them. We aint new to this, we TRUE to this. We dont need anybody to love us but us.

Let Wilbon have his Bulls, let Stephen A have his Knicks. We dont need them. Be a FAN period. Leave all the whinning at home.

Kanye rant over lol

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1