• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The change of the Culture in Atlanta Sports.

Diesel

Diesel, you know that the instant a plan like that came out, the poverty pimps would be crying gentrification (translation: where's our cut?). I've literally have screamed for years that more should have been done down there dating back to the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium days. While the Omni/Philips/Dome has been buffered by the convention business generated by the GWCC (although Vine City is right next door), the same couldn't be said for Turner Field.

One of the reasons why the Braves are moving is because the surrounding areas were never developed and left to rot. Folks who go to the games simply drive there, watch the game, and drive out as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, the city leaders, in their infinite wisdom, all but told the Braves to just take it; as if they couldn't find anywhere else to go. That's like treating a spouse any kind of way, thinking that they'll never leave. They were wrong...

Just to point out a couple of things. The poverty pimps in this case have a point. Atlanta Fulton Co literally leveled an entire neighborhood. Agreements were made to allow for businesses to go around the stadium but the Braves would continually kill them off. These promises were made again when Turner was built and again the Braves fought off any one who would take "their" money.

In the latest round leading to the Cobb move they tried some REAL shady tactics. They wanted to be a contractor on the project AND be the one approving bids. As the stadium is owned by the city, this is illegal. you can't see the bids you're accepting then turn around and submit one.  I'm not saying the city handled it the best possible way, but the Braves have had some pretty bad history when it comes to dealing with their neighbors. I do think the city was right to say no to the Braves. But I think they should have worked together on an alternative site. Doing a trade off with the state, GSU getting the existing stadium and GWCC giving the Braves the North Yards site that the Falcons didn't use.

If anything the gentrification of Grant Park and Summerhill made it worse for the Braves as the residents now had more politically active and connected neighbors to help fight the Braves.

Im a sports and public policy geek.  I love how this all interacts.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just to point out a couple of things. The poverty pimps in this case have a point. Atlanta Fulton Co literally leveled an entire neighborhood. Agreements were made to allow for businesses to go around the stadium but the Braves would continually kill them off. These promises were made again when Turner was built and again the Braves fought off any one who would take "their" money.

In the latest round leading to the Cobb move they tried some REAL shady tactics. They wanted to be a contractor on the project AND be the one approving bids. As the stadium is owned by the city, this is illegal. you can't see the bids you're accepting then turn around and submit one.  I'm not saying the city handled it the best possible way, but the Braves have had some pretty bad history when it comes to dealing with their neighbors. I do think the city was right to say no to the Braves. But I think they should have worked together on an alternative site. Doing a trade off with the state, GSU getting the existing stadium and GWCC giving the Braves the North Yards site that the Falcons didn't use.

If anything the gentrification of Grant Park and Summerhill made it worse for the Braves as the residents now had more politically active and connected neighbors to help fight the Braves.

Im a sports and public policy geek.  I love how this all interacts.

That's right.  I blame Kasim but the Braves were shady as hell.   Schuerholz blatently admiited to it.   I'm not sure he grasped what he was saying but to say the deal couldn't have happened if it wasn't under the table because everyone would be against it is just plain scary.

"It didn't leak out. If it had leaked out, this deal would not have gotten done," he said.

Schuerholz told press and business leaders in Atlanta that he couldn't have completed the Braves' deal with Cobb County in public.

"If it had gotten out, more people would have started taking the position of, 'We don't want that to happen. We want to see how viable this was going to be,'" Schuerholz said. "We were able to get that all done."

Screw the city, screw the fans, we don't care what they think this is what we want.   I run a government protected monopoly but have no civic obligation.   Asshole.  (sorry if your friends with him)

Good points that I didn't even know; I knew the Braves had a lot to do with the lack of development around there, from refusing to have a rail line near the stadium and such. I also knew that they wanted to be in charge of the bid process to develop around Turner Field. I guess when they didn't get their way, they took their ball and headed north.

IMHO, I doubt that they really wanted to be in the city in the first place. The ambiance and vibe from that organization screams suburbs to me. Georgia State could use the land vacated by them because its a lot easier to fill a 30k stadium than a 71k one... 

• Premium Member

Diesel, you know that the instant a plan like that came out, the poverty pimps would be crying gentrification (translation: where's our cut?). I've literally have screamed for years that more should have been done down there dating back to the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium days. While the Omni/Philips/Dome has been buffered by the convention business generated by the GWCC (although Vine City is right next door), the same couldn't be said for Turner Field.

One of the reasons why the Braves are moving is because the surrounding areas were never developed and left to rot. Folks who go to the games simply drive there, watch the game, and drive out as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, the city leaders, in their infinite wisdom, all but told the Braves to just take it; as if they couldn't find anywhere else to go. That's like treating a spouse any kind of way, thinking that they'll never leave. They were wrong...

I don't disagree.  The Lions used to play in Pontiac.  City leaders don't always have a vision. At some point, the vision will come.   My thing is that it only makes sense to create a "sports corridor that attracts fans."  and then to surround it with businesses that can work with the sports (Bars, shops, Restaurants and Hotels). I thought that in 94 the Olympics would do that but they missed their chance.  Honestly, the GWCC can exist anywhere you put it.  But nobody wants to move it.

I've seen the Braves win 14 pennants in a row and win 1 world series.

I've seen the Falcons make it to the superbowl.

I have seen the Atlanta Chiefs become good then get taken away.

I have seen the Atlanta Flames become good then get taken away.

I have been a Hawks fan since Fast Eddie Johnson and John Drew.

Atlanta has been the worst sports city.  I have marveled at how Cleveland Browns fans support Cleveland no matter what.  Same thing for Green Bay Packer fans.  Hell, it's so cold in Green Bay that I can't imagine going to a game.   I have marveled at the faithful following of the Lakers.  Especially now.  I can't begin to understand how people support the Orioles and Redskins.. when there is no streak, no shot at winning, nothing good to cheer for...  But when you come to these Atlanta teams... even in our good years, we find it hard to keep a following. Our best teams get taken away.

Is it because of Owners like Rankin and Taylor Smith, AOL, Ted Turner, ATL Spirit, and the like.  Is it because going to downtown Atlanta is not appealing to people in Cobb and Gwinnette County?

I don't pretend to know.  However, as I said before, the Hawks ought not run from what we have been and what we are.  IF Players leave saying that we're a bunch of Bandwagon fans... Embrace it.  It's true.  Before now, we have  not had much to gather for.  Before now, we have not had much to cheer for.  And even now, there are still some of us who have been faithful who have doubts.  We still wonder if we're really this damn good.  We still wonder if we can beat the Cavs.  We still wonder if we can win it all.

I don't pretend to know the answer but what I believe is that now all the stars are aligning and this is the time for the culture of Atlanta Sports to change.. and our Hawks are the catalyst.

We talk about our Mount Rushmore of Atlanta Sports...

Sure Nique.  Sure Deion.  Sure Chipper... But the next face have to be this one...

011715_HawksAllStars.jpg

Put them in together because these guys together can change the whole culture of Atlanta Sports.

Let them accomplish something great first Diesel.  Because as great as this season has been so far, an early exit in the playoffs would be completely devastating to the city and the fan base.  Now we all don't think that has any possibility of happening, but the playoffs can be cruel sometimes.

Let them accomplish something significant first ( like a trip to the EC Finals ), then let's put them on a Mt Rushmore.

• Premium Member

Let them accomplish something great first Diesel.  Because as great as this season has been so far, an early exit in the playoffs would be completely devastating to the city and the fan base.  Now we all don't think that has any possibility of happening, but the playoffs can be cruel sometimes.

Let them accomplish something significant first ( like a trip to the EC Finals ), then let's put them on a Mt Rushmore.

No... I think having the 4 go to the allstar game and possibly be the core that break our own Histories Win total will probably put them if not on Rushmore, then at least on Stone mountain!!

Honestly, right now the Atlanta Mt Rushmore looks kinda sad:

Dominique.  Chipper.  Aaron.   Nobis(?).  Maddux???

I don't know.  I want to put Deion on it, but he did more for the Cowboys and 49ers than he did for us.

Football we really have no modern era guys yet.

Nique only made it to the second round of the playoffs.

I agree that the  playoffs can be cruel and I do believe that an early loss will definitely turn the city.  However, I'll put these four on Stone Mountain for the time being because they have done more (if they get the wins record) than a lot of Atlanta sports stars have accomplished.. Especially getting the city back interested in BBall.

Make room for Coach Bud and Ferry as well. I can recall the first order of business Ferry conducted was literally erasing Marvin and JJ from the roster in record time, followed by all but driving Osh to the airport to make sure he didn't miss his flight to Detroit. If that didn't scream 'there's a new sheriff in town', nothing else did. A lot of us (including me) didn't see what was taking place; hell, I thought that those moves were made to bring in Dwight and CP3. And even if that was the original plan, Plan B was a helluva backup.

So I give credit to the players, coaching staff, and management. It's like someone came to the Hawks' offices, threw up the blinds, opened the windows, and let in some much needed fresh air and sunlight. The pendulum has shifted from the lack of having a superstar to win and convince the fans into believing again, folks are talking about team ball, passing, and defense. The hubbub about highlights and dunks, while still fun to watch, has been replaced with winning with substance. As I've stated in a previous post, they are averaging 18,300+ in the building over the last eighteen home games; the only team ranked ahead of them during that time that don't have arenas with larger capacities are the Spurs. Swim that around in your heads for a second...

Make room for Coach Bud and Ferry as well. I can recall the first order of business Ferry conducted was literally erasing Marvin and JJ from the roster in record time, followed by all but driving Osh to the airport to make sure he didn't miss his flight to Detroit. If that didn't scream 'there's a new sheriff in town', nothing else did. A lot of us (including me) didn't see what was taking place; hell, I thought that those moves were made to bring in Dwight and CP3. And even if that was the original plan, Plan B was a helluva backup.

So I give credit to the players, coaching staff, and management. It's like someone came to the Hawks' offices, threw up the blinds, opened the windows, and let in some much needed fresh air and sunlight. The pendulum has shifted from the lack of having a superstar to win and convince the fans into believing again, folks are talking about team ball, passing, and defense. The hubbub about highlights and dunks, while still fun to watch, has been replaced with winning with substance. As I've stated in a previous post, they are averaging 18,300+ in the building over the last eighteen home games; the only team ranked ahead of them during that time that don't have arenas with larger capacities are the Spurs. Swim that around in your heads for a second...

Add to that adding a real scouting department, player development and improved marketing strategies.

You're not kidding. The fact that they were the only team in the entire league to not have a full-time scout on the payroll for years and years was beyond criminal. And one can go hours talking about their marketing department...'come see the stars of the NBA battle the Hawks'. It was as if they were the Washington Generals playing against the Globetrotters at home...