• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pero wants to re-sign

GameTime

Oh, and he is pretty much one dimensional at this point.

It's like people don't even read what the freaking coach says about him...

<just gonna stand here with my fingers in my ears and not listen to you Coach>

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member

I'm not claiming anything 'will' happen. I said, "if that keeps up", actually. Pero could very well shoot his way out of his slump tonight hopefully. Oh, and he is pretty much one dimensional at this point.

I'm interested in what this one dimension is myself...And please use the occum's razor approach with your explanations.

I want him. I don't care about his many flaws, I want him. But he needs to be a #3 center, not #2 center. 

That's the way I look at it supe...I think he would be fine in the Elton Brand (+) spot next year and maybe for a few years.  He knows the system and he certainly brings somewhat of a physical presence...I just think we should be able to do better in the regular rotation (2nd string) center position.  Who knows, he may be handy as a "transitional" 2nd/3rd string center for awhile.

I doubt anybody (other team) is going to come at him hard so we should be able to keep him if he really does want to stay here.

P.S....since we aren't likely going to get a quality 6-11/7-0 center in the draft I hope our scouts are scouring the planet for a nice thick, strong 6-9 center with skills.  No use in hunting for Diamonds in the rough anymore IMO.  Just get a tough/strong guy who can play as a solid backup center pretty much immediately.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

I doubt anybody (other team) is going to come at him hard so we should be able to keep him if he really does want to stay here.

You think other GM/coaches want a player that has no rebounding, offensive or defensive skills?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm interested in what this one dimension is myself...And please use the occum's razor approach with your explanations.

He's a perimeter center. His offensive game depends on the 'threat' of him hitting the three. If he's on, opposing centers have to go out and guard him. When they do, he can pump fake and drive and kick or get fouled and go to the line. Unconventional for a center but it worked when his outside shot was falling. He sort of reminded me of Sam Perkins. That's why I liked him even though he didn't offer much of a post presence. Don't get me wrong, I think his style of play fits right in with what the Hawks are doing when he's on his game. He has the ability to negate any size advantage of the opposing team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He's a perimeter center. His offensive game depends on the 'threat' of him hitting the three. If he's on, opposing centers have to go out and guard him. When they do, he can pump fake and drive and kick or get fouled and go to the line.

Pero hits a couple of shots per week so who in their right mind would waste their time guarding him??  Heck, even when he pump fakes to drive..Can he even hit those shots?   What i was referring to when I mentioned the phrase "one dimension"  is naming something that he excel at and shooting is definitely not on the list.

• Like 1

You think other GM/coaches want a player that has no rebounding, offensive or defensive skills?

LOL...well to be fair he shot well before so maybe he will come around with practice (maybe try the one-foot shot more often)...and he does set screens, take up space, and get the rebounds that come to him.  ;-)

That's pretty much what I meant though - if we want to move forward we need a better 2nd string Center since they get real minutes in Bud's scheme.

The fact that Pero "wants to be here" pretty much doesn't mean sh!t...on the other side of the coin...if he will take the pay we can give him without stretching the budget...he does know the system and can make the jump from "E.B.- Emergency Center" to 2nd string if a guy gets hurt or needs a rest in the regular season.  At his age he should have a few decent years left in him and I would bet on his durability through the season more than Elton's.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Pero is going to be tendered a Qualifying Offer. The Hawks might take the Rick Sund approach and tell him to "find an offer and we'll match" or potentially they make a good faith effort in agreeing to a new contract.

Either way this is the obvious path the team is going to go down if you want to know what will likely happen.

• Premium Member

LOL...well to be fair he shot well before so maybe he will come around with practice (maybe try the one-foot shot more often)...and he does set screens, take up space, and get the rebounds that come to him.  ;-)

It depends on your definition of well....Pero Anti&#263; has a career shooting percentage of 38.7%.  41.8% last year

• Like 1

It depends on your definition of well....Pero Antić has a career shooting percentage of 38.7%.  41.8% last year

Yeah...:-)...I'm not making him out to be a "good" shooter...I guess what I am saying is...would you want him back if he understands his role, shoot a little better and can be an E.B. replacement?  Since E.B. is older and has high mileage I think it would be a pretty smart move on the Hawks' part.  Now if Pero still has designs on being a big part of the future of the Hawks - well then...he is delusional.

Personally, I would have no problem with a Center lineup  next year like - Al Horford,  New guy (from wherever or even from within) and Pero as 3rd string with the ability to go 2nd string occasionally.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

Yeah...:-)...I'm not making him out to be a "good" shooter...I guess what I am saying is...would you want him back if he understands his role, shoot a little better and can be an E.B. replacement?  Since E.B. is older and has high mileage I think it would be a pretty smart move on the Hawks' part.  Now if Pero still has designs on being a big part of the future of the Hawks - well then...he is delusional.

He is not an NBA quality player period!  He is only valuable to BUD and a few fans here for some reason.  He is a useless player in reality and many will find out the hard way in the 2nd round of the playoffs unfortunately and will foolishly blame his teammates for under-performances if the Hawk struggle

He is not an NBA quality player period!  He is only valuable to BUD and a few fans here for some reason.  He is a useless player in reality and many will find out the hard way in the 2nd round of the playoffs unfortunately and will foolishly blame his teammates for under-performances if the Hawk struggle

Oh please PB...do I have to totally k!ss your ass?  I've said that he is just borderline but knows Bud's system and only should be here as an E.B.-style backup.  I am right...live with it.

ahf2.png

That's how I feel right about now. OK, just for future reference so people don't get the wrong idea and think I've conceded the point and have given up defending him - but you wont have to worry about me posting in any Pero threads any more. It's too much of an echo chamber of ridiculousness where some people just wont listen to logic, reason, nor apparently even the coach. Too much short sightedness nor ability to look at a bigger picture. I could speculate on the reasons behind this, but what would be the point?

I'll probably get criticized for even making that announcement instead of just not commenting in the future. But since I seem to be one of the few voices of dissension towards the Pero hate I wanted to take one last opportunity to make it clear that I still feel that way even though I wont be expressing it any longer. I just find it futile to continue to try and contradict that hate here because it's obviously falling on deaf ears.

EDIT - note this is not simply a product of not valuing the right of others to have their own opinion; it's a product of others keeping up with that opinion in the face of all evidence to the contrary, as if that evidence was never even presented.

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member

ahf2.png

That's how I feel right about now. OK, just for future reference so people don't get the wrong idea and think I've conceded the point and have given up defending him - but you wont have to worry about me posting in any Pero threads any more. It's too much of an echo chamber of ridiculousness where some people just wont listen to logic, reason, nor apparently even the coach. Too much short sightedness nor ability to look at a bigger picture. I could speculate on the reasons behind this, but what would be the point?

The "Bud like him defense" got old too and was anything but logical!