• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Magic

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

((Shameless Post-win Thread-bump))

~lw3

• Moderators

ORLANDO — The Man in the Mask is no more.

Kyle Korver simply had enough. After two missed 3-pointers and it was time for the protective mask, guarding a broken nose, to end its tenure at 5-1/2 quarters.

“I don’t want to make a big deal out of it but I don’t like wearing a mask,” Korver said after the Hawks come-from-behind 95-83 victory over the Magic Wednesday. “I’m grateful for it. It helped me. I needed it to play. But I’ve been drinking all my milk and trying to strengthen my bones and get this nose back together. I keep on bumping it every morning to see if it feels a little better today and today it felt a little better.”

The original plan was for Korver to wear the mask for two to three weeks. He underwent a surgical procedure and missed three games after he broke his nose against the Lakers on March 15.

In his first game back, Korver made both 3-point attempts in a loss to the Spurs Sunday. He made two of his first three long-range attempts Wednesday against the Magic. However, when he missed two 3-pointers in a span of four seconds, he retired the mask following a timeout in the second quarter.

“I missed a couple shots and as a shooter you try to blame something,” Korver said. I decided to blame it on the mask – even though I’m grateful for the mask. It was well made. It’s a great mask. But I like wearing a sleeve on my arm and tall socks. That’s it.”

It was the third time Korver suffered a broken nose during a basketball game – once in college and twice as a professional.

Korver finished with 13 points, including going 3 of 9 from 3-point range, Wednesday. He hit a 3-pointer in the fourth quarter that ignited the Hawks’ game-winning 22-2 run.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/korver-ditches-protective-mask/nkfkt/

You know I asked the same question a while before @JayBirdHawk did and I get chirp chirp chirp.... Then she asks and @capstone21 and @LamarHampton jump on it....hmmmm...

Hmmmmmm

You want some cheese with that whine?

(Hehe.  Aw, c'mon that's funny.  I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for your troubles, Spud2.)

(ETA: Come to think of it, why do people eat cheese with wine?  That can't taste good together can it?  Any 'cultured' squawkers on here that can explain that?  I also had a guy that worked with me who said in the Midwest they eat cheese with pie.  Yuck.)

Edited by kg01

Seems they always find a way to put Dennis on this chart lately...

Edited by rd79

(Hehe. Aw, c'mon that's funny. I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for your troubles, Spud2.)

(ETA: Come to think of it, why do people eat cheese with wine? That can't taste good together can it? Any 'cultured' squawkers on here that can explain that? I also had a guy that worked with me who said in the Midwest they eat cheese with pie. Yuck.)

#firstworldproblems

Ps You need to stop kickin it with your damn Packer fan work buddies, they are trouble.

• Premium Member

Hid?

They were relying on Payton to initiate the offense for most of the night. Korver shut him down in the fourth and the magic offense came to a screeching halt.

I'm usually a fan of Korver's defense, but he was playing some very lackadaisical defense throughout the first quarter and on and off through the second.  

The end of the second quarter and throughout the second half, he really picked his defense up like we all know he can.  

But he was the one tagged to guard Payton from the very beginning of the game, so I'm not sure why you act like he was switched onto Payton and shut him down.

Edited by SalvorMallow

I'm usually a fan of Korver's defense, but he was playing some very lackadaisical defense throughout the first quarter and on and off through the second.  He was the one tagged to guard Payton from the very beginning of the game, so I'm not sure why you act like he was switched onto Payton and shut him down.

I was getting a 3 mile run in during the 1st quarter and missed it.  I did see the 4th quarter and I saw Kyle block Payton at least twice and force him in to some turnovers and bad shots.  Kyle's defense on Payton helped swing the game in the 4th quarter. 

• Moderators

(Hehe.  Aw, c'mon that's funny.  I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for your troubles, Spud2.)

(ETA: Come to think of it, why do people eat cheese with wine?  That can't taste good together can it?  Any 'cultured' squawkers on here that can explain that?  I also had a guy that worked with me who said in the Midwest they eat cheese with pie.  Yuck.)

Both of those things are sweet and salty.  For the uncultured like you It's like chocolate covered pretzels or reese's.

41y8Ubog7%2BL.jpg

• Like 2

Both of those things are sweet and salty.  For the uncultured like you It's like chocolate covered pretzels or reese's.

*gasp* Well I never ...

I'm not big on the whole salty/sweet combination so I guess I'll just stay 'uncultured'.  Is that the same for the cheese with pie nonsense?  Do tell, Mr. High Society.  I knew there were some hoighty-toighty swquawkers that could shed some light.

#firstworldproblems

Ps You need to stop kickin it with your damn Packer fan work buddies, they are trouble.

Indeed.  Would've also accepted #richpeopleproblems

• Premium Member

I was getting a 3 mile run in during the 1st quarter and missed it.  I did see the 4th quarter and I saw Kyle block Payton at least twice and force him in to some turnovers and bad shots.  Kyle's defense on Payton helped swing the game in the 4th quarter. 

I agree, but I think it's obvious that Bud had him guarding Payton because Korver can't guard Oladipo not because Payton is the toughest guard and Korver is a lockdown defender.

P.S. Payton averages 9-8-4 but had 19-9-7 last night.

Edited by SalvorMallow

(Hehe. Aw, c'mon that's funny. I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for your troubles, Spud2.)

(ETA: Come to think of it, why do people eat cheese with wine? That can't taste good together can it? Any 'cultured' squawkers on here that can explain that? I also had a guy that worked with me who said in the Midwest they eat cheese with pie. Yuck.)

@kg01 For us cultured folks it's to create a balanced "mouthfeel". The fattiness of the cheese contrasts with the astringent dryness of the wine.

The interwebs is really cool, lol.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

*gasp* Well I never ...

I'm not big on the whole salty/sweet combination so I guess I'll just stay 'uncultured'.  Is that the same for the cheese with pie nonsense?  Do tell, Mr. High Society.  I knew there were some hoighty-toighty swquawkers that could shed some light.

Indeed.  Would've also accepted #richpeopleproblems

cheese and pie is also salty sweet but it's also just to be as glutinous as possible.    

I agree, but I think it's obvious that Bud had him guarding Payton because Korver can't guard Oladipo not because Payton is the toughest guard and Korver is a lockdown defender.

P.S. Payton averages 9-8-4 but had 19-9-7 last night.

Why would you use Payton's full season numbers when he is a rookie and has improved big time over the past month or so?

He's averaging 13, 8 and 6 in March on 45% FG. 

Last night he shot 37% and had 5 turnovers.  In the 4th quarter, he was 1-8 FG, 2 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 blocked shot by Korver.

Korver may not be a lockdown defender but he locked down Payton in the 4th quarter and Orlando's offense shut down with him.

@kg01 For us cultured folks it's to create a balanced "mouthfeel". The fattiness of the cheese contrasts with the astringent dryness of the wine.

Did you have your pinky poked out while you typed that, Mrs. FancyPantz?

Seriously though, thanks for your response.  Those concepts are well beyond my provincial tastes.

cheese and pie is also salty sweet but it's also just to be as glutinous as possible.    

Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it.

What was this thread about again?