• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud loves Antics and now this guy?

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

I dont get why noone seems to trust the front office. I mean they brought the hawks to the top seed in the east. Just have a little more faith in bud.

Its not a matter of trust although Bud has proven not to always make the best choices i.e. playing the Mack and Teague combo @ the beginning of the season and the Pero Antics love affair even though the guy is totally brutal on offense while his defense is grossly overrated.  Its just a question about him choosing a player like Daye over a player like Staudemire.  I am just curious about his interest in mediocre or flat out bad bigs!  I just don't get that sense that Bud thinks that we have a depth problem with our front court which is something for me to question.

• Moderators

So we jettisoned Payne but we are singing this scrub? I don't get it.

We decided Payne was a bust and got a first round pick for him before everyone else came to the same conclusion ala Jenkins.

We decided we want Daye for the rest of the year and so signed him for this year.  When we did that we decided that on the off chance that we want to keep him we were better doing a 2 year deal where the second year is non-guaranteed.  This means that he now serves two purposes:

(1)  Plays for the rest of this year and we have the option to go with him if we want next year.  No team can block us.  No downside if we cut him.

(2)  He becomes an attractive trade piece this summer since a team looking to lower their payroll can trade for him and send us salary we want to take on and then cut Daye and not have him count against their cap.

I see nothing hard to understand here.

• Like 1

(2)  He becomes an attractive trade piece this summer since a team looking to lower their payroll can trade for him and send us salary we want to take on and then cut Daye and not have him count against their cap.

I've thought about this a bit. This isn't the case unless the Hawks are over the cap. If the Hawks are under the cap, it would be better to the other team trying to shed payroll to...well not take on a contract. And if the Hawks are making a move under the cap, then they do not need to send any salary out.

It's always good to know all of the reasons/implications of something. So in the event that the Hawks go north of the salary cap this offseason an then intend to trade one of their tradeable pieces (DeMarre/Paul/Pero in a sign-and-trade only...) then Daye could be useful in this capacity. It's a long shot, but still could be a good thing about his contract.

• Moderators

I've thought about this a bit. This isn't the case unless the Hawks are over the cap. If the Hawks are under the cap, it would be better to the other team trying to shed payroll to...well not take on a contract. And if the Hawks are making a move under the cap, then they do not need to send any salary out.

It's always good to know all of the reasons/implications of something. So in the event that the Hawks go north of the salary cap this offseason an then intend to trade one of their tradeable pieces (DeMarre/Paul/Pero in a sign-and-trade only...) then Daye could be useful in this capacity. It's a long shot, but still could be a good thing about his contract.

Agree with all of this.  It just gives the Hawks another tool in the kit.  There is no downside and if the chips fall a certain way, it could be valuable.

So we jettisoned Payne but we are singing this scrub? I don't get it.

I will say we screwed up the Payne pick majorly but I'll give Bud and crew credit for not being stubborn and moving him early on before his stock drops.  I've yet to see him doing anything in Minnesota that warrants much so at least we got something.

Agree with all of this. It just gives the Hawks another tool in the kit. There is no downside and if the chips fall a certain way, it could be valuable.

Yup, this is the better way to think of it. No downside plus a few perks, although let's not blow these perks out of proportion. All in all, no one should be upset OR excited about this. It's a pretty meh move.

About the only exciting thing is we're not seeing the Sund treatment of touting this to be some piece to the puzzle like he did with Dampier a few years back. Oh man was that something else.