• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabo & Pero Arrested; Thabo OUT FOR SEASON due to injuries

ersimo2889

We've just been chasing each other around the same mulberry bush just to kill the time. There's a clear middle ground.

Like all people, athletes take risks, and some better calculated than others. If I had my druthers, Baze wouldn't be biking assertively through Atlanta streets, Dennis would hang up his skateboard for good, and Lamar wouldn't have a pet alligator. But I trust they put some thought into it before participating in those activities.

Going out on the town in between games on back-to-back nights? Think twice about it, and if you do go, be vigilant (oh, do I hate that word) extra-careful. Because Bad Things can happen, especially when The Freaks Come Out At Night.

Those Bad Things rightfully include the risk of you and your significant other getting filleted by an overzealous eavesdropper. (Chris Copeland, we hardly remember thee). Those Bad Things can include getting run over by a reckless taxi driver, failing to recognize a loose manhole cover, or enjoying dinner at an establishment frequented by Pizza Rat. All of these and many other Bad Things can happen in the sunshine, too. But the fraying of one's Spidey Senses can accelerate in the hours immediately following an NBA night game and a flight out of town.

In any town, however, the exhaustive list of Bad Things should NEVER include getting pulverized by "Officers of the Peace" while serving up a 20-spot to one of their town's many homeless people. Not at 4 AM. Not at 4 PM.

You shouldn't have to be Mother Teresa to avoid getting your leg broke. Yet Thabo's attempt to briefly approximate Mother Teresa during his and Pero's night out on the town kind of says it all. If you have reason to be just as terrified of some members of the police department under a street lamp as you would for some dudes hanging out in a dark back alley, something has gone Joker-style wrong in that town.

Try not to be out too late at night, especially on nights between NBA games, because Bad Things can happen. Those Bad Things, however, should never include being harmed and having your livelihood imperiled by the very people you're expected to solicit when Bad Things happen.

~lw3

@lethalweapon3 Well said

And yeah Lamar - a pet alligator??? Nothing good can come from that.

This is becoming a joke.  

Nah, it's just the R. Kelly/UNC Athletic Association strategy.  Stall, delay, hope the witnesses die and/or everybody forgets so you don't have to ever come to a point where you have to take a punishment or admit blame.

Since my fanhood is on the side where the conspiracy benefits me .... meh, I'll go along with it.

KL Chouinard @KLChouinard

A bananas crazy coincidence: Pero Antić's Fenerbahçe team plays @ Brooklyn Oct. 5, which is also the day of Thabo Sefolosha's NY court date.

• Moderators

KL Chouinard @KLChouinard

A bananas crazy coincidence: Pero Antić's Fenerbahçe team plays @ Brooklyn Oct. 5, which is also the day of Thabo Sefolosha's NY court date.

That is crazy.  Hopefully Pero can be there for intimidation.  

JURY SELECTED

NEW YORK — The trial of Hawks player Thabo Sefolosha began Monday with jury selection. Defense attorney Alex Spiro declared that his client is “completely innocent.”

Opening statements are set for Tuesday morning, with Sefolosha facing charges of obstructing government administration, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, in a case stemming from a dispute outside a New York nightclub early April 8. Judge Robert Mandelbaum dismissed a fourth charge of harassment.

A jury of four women and two men was chosen to hear the case, which is expected to conclude by the end of the week.

Craig Ruttle
Hawks' Thabo Sefolosha leaves a courthouse in New York, Wednesday, April 8, 2015, following his arrest on charges he blocked officers from setting up a crime scene following the stabbing of Indiana Pacers' Chris Copeland.

During jury selection at Manhattan Criminal Court, attorneys for both the state and for Sefolosha raised the issue of race, with Spiro suggesting that police actions towards Sefolosha could have been influenced by his race.

“I can’t have a referendum, but my client is black,” Spiro said in court.

Prosecutor Francesca Bartolomey said she expects to call six witnesses, all police officers. Spiro said he would call six to eighth witnesses in Sefolosha’s defense. Former Hawk Pero Antić, who was with Sefolosha and was originally charged in the case, is on the witness list.

Prosecutors offered Sefolosha an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, without the day of community service they asked for last month, But he turned it down in favor of a trial in which he hopes to prove his innocence.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/jury-selected-for-sefolosha-trial/nnwHy/

• Premium Member

JURY SELECTED

NEW YORK — The trial of Hawks player Thabo Sefolosha began Monday with jury selection. Defense attorney Alex Spiro declared that his client is “completely innocent.”

Opening statements are set for Tuesday morning, with Sefolosha facing charges of obstructing government administration, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, in a case stemming from a dispute outside a New York nightclub early April 8. Judge Robert Mandelbaum dismissed a fourth charge of harassment.

A jury of four women and two men was chosen to hear the case, which is expected to conclude by the end of the week.

Craig Ruttle
Hawks' Thabo Sefolosha leaves a courthouse in New York, Wednesday, April 8, 2015, following his arrest on charges he blocked officers from setting up a crime scene following the stabbing of Indiana Pacers' Chris Copeland.

During jury selection at Manhattan Criminal Court, attorneys for both the state and for Sefolosha raised the issue of race, with Spiro suggesting that police actions towards Sefolosha could have been influenced by his race.

“I can’t have a referendum, but my client is black,” Spiro said in court.

Prosecutor Francesca Bartolomey said she expects to call six witnesses, all police officers. Spiro said he would call six to eighth witnesses in Sefolosha’s defense. Former Hawk Pero Antić, who was with Sefolosha and was originally charged in the case, is on the witness list.

Prosecutors offered Sefolosha an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, without the day of community service they asked for last month, But he turned it down in favor of a trial in which he hopes to prove his innocence.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/jury-selected-for-sefolosha-trial/nnwHy/

Thabo is playing hard ball with these guys. The fact that he rejected a SECOND deal where he gets off free and clear is very telling. Something tells me a civil case for damages is fast approaching.

• Like 4

Thabo is playing hard ball with these guys. The fact that he rejected a SECOND deal where he gets off free and clear is very telling. Something tells me a civil case for damages is fast approaching.

Get 'em Thabo.

Didn't they realize his specialty is defense?

Prosecution Opening:

• "You have to leave the area. This is a crime scene."
  • Defendant (shorthand is D) refused to clear the scene after being told upwards of 6 times.
  • D lunged at an officer who was trying to clear.
  • D resisted arrest.
  • There was a crowd of over 100 people, 3 people were stabbed.
  • D wouldn't leave the block.
  • D is in NBA, "I can do what I want." Showed entitlement, disdain.
  • So entitled, he insulted an officer doing his job - called him a midget.
  • So entitled he ordered a private car for himself (aside: why would P put this in their opening?!) to leave scene.
  • As police officers tried to get him in car D charged.
  • 2nd officer grabbed D "luckily" before he could touch Officer (aside: otherwise he'd be charged with felony assault!)
  • D stiffened arms and refused to put his hands behind his back.
  • Took third officer to bring D down. Officer had to sit on him to get hands behind his back.
  • Case is about D inability to follow simple instructions.

Opening was no more than 10 minutes, they didn't reference any video or audio, so I assume they won't be using that in their case in chief. Looks like witnesses will only be police officers. So no civilian witnesses.

• Like 3

• Moderators

If there's one thing I love most about 'Murica, it's that we got great defense attorneys IF you can afford 'em.

The Cross-Exam on the "midget" officer was good work by Alex Spiro.

A side note: the "midget" officer (unless, by pure coincidence, they share the surname of Giacona) may have been one of the pair of NYPD officers whose wrangling of a guy standing outside his home led to a 2013 Federal ruling against NYC's notorious "stop and frisk" procedures...

http://allianceforajustsociety.org/2013/08/no-one-should-live-in-fear-courts-rule-on-nypd-stop-and-frisk/

(UPDATE: it is coincidence. From another site, that Officer was "Scott" Giacona, while Thabo's arresting officer was "JohnPaul" Giacona. No idea whether they're related, although both Giaconas seem to enjoy cussing when barking orders.)

(UPDATE x2: On behalf of Thabo, apologies to all the "little people" out there.)

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

Prosecution First Witness - Shield 9996

Shield 9996 was the Arresting Officer (AO) in this case. The AO is a term of art that refers to the officer who is in charge of processing the paperwork after arrest. They are not necessarily the person who actually put cuffs on the defendant (in fact, often, for tactical reason at trial, etc, they are purposefully not that person). In this case AO is a 3 year police officer (aka relatively new). He is the person who first engaged Thabo and told him to leave the scene. Then continued to tell him to leave the scene. He is the officer who was referred to as a midget.

Direct Examination by Prosecution - I'll be honest, I missed this. I only had one case on today, and I figured I should go actually serve my clients. The real fireworks are during cross, so I skipped. (Prosecution direct examination usually so boring!)

Cross Examination by Defense -

• "You testified you're allowed to move someone as far as you want to. You can move 'em to the hudson if you want to."
  • During your CCRB investigation, you said he was 50 feet from "immediate" crime scene. Now you say 20?
  • You said you asked him to move 4 times, or 5 times, or 6 times or 7 times. You said different amount every time. How many was it? "No matter how many times, why didn't he move after I asked him once?"
  • "You said he moved only 2 feet every time you asked him. How did he get all the way to 10th avenue?" "I asked him and other officers asked him and then he moved." "So it was 2 feet, 2 feet, 2 feet, then 75 feet?" "Correct."
  • Officer never reviewed video. Never saw video of him walking by white people and approaching Sefolosha.
  • Thabo not intoxicated. He said "Ok, Ok no problem." Third time: "I'm not doing something wrong. I'm just standing here. If i was a midget, I'd be mad too."
  • "I was not raising my voice, just projecting my voice. Being authoritative."
  • A car arrives
  • I didn't know why Thabo was being arrested, i just saw him engaged with other officers.
  • "immediate" crime scene is around the corner. Perpetrator is in handcuffs. It is out of sight. You can't hear or see anything that is happening where the stabbing had occurred.
  • Denies being a "rookie" officer, but graduated academy in 2013.
  • Paperwork indicates incident happened in front of 1Oak club. Officer sticks to his paperwork, but concedes that the incident with Thabo started 50 feet west of the stabbing. And continued further away. "That is still in front of 1oak"
  • CCRB inquiry - officer saw Sefolosha walk into car, and then get back out again.
  • I saw officer sullivan push him, I didn't know why at this point.
  • No idea what broke Thabo's leg.
  • He was walking fine. Advised him not to go to hospital, because that would slow how long it would take him to be released from police custody. D refused ambulance.
  • There were 150-200 people. Noone else arrested. There were several people (>5) that were closer to the stabbing than Thabo.
  • Defense introduces video (we can't see it, because facing the jury)
  • "Who did you approach first." "Defendant."
  • Is that the defendant? Yes. That's him walking away from scene? Yes. West? Yes. Away from the stabbing? Yes. That's the correct way to go? Yes. The lawful way? Yes. He's not angry? Yes. He's not disorderly? Yes. He doesn't appear to be commiting a crime? Yes

• Were you polite to Defendant? Did you say, "With our without a badge I would f*** you up?" Officer denies.

• Ofc denies seeing baton coming out.

• Ofc heard people screaming. Heard people saying, "He did nothing wrong, get off of him"

• Ofc does not hear "excuse me sire, put your hands behind your back."

• The other officers were not wrong to bring out the baton.

• "I told him to clear the block... to go to 10th ave." And he did go to 10th? Correct.

• Like 4