• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who would have thought that Jeff Teague would make it to the conference finals before Chris Paul?

Peoriabird

I love Teague! I think he is vital to the Hawks now and in the near future.

To be fair though, the criticisms leveled at him have nothing to do with his abilities...no one denies his quickness, speed, etc. It has been his heart and mindset.

Will he bring it every game? Will he bring it every play?

Will he play both ways?

I have asked these to myself a lot. I know I'm not the only one though.

Now I think he is a huge asset to the Hawks and they wouldn't be where they are if they were starting a different point guard (save a few obvious ones who are paid so much that we would be unable to field our current squad anyway).

Sorry for rambling, but I agree with your praise of Teague. I would love to see a continued progression (as I have witnessed the last two seasons) in his intensity and focus game-in and game-out. If he slips in this area, then it will be time to move him along. I really don't see that happening though.

Cannot wait for the Cavs series!!! Teague will need to bring it!

Go Hawks!!!!

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Not this guy!  I doubted a lot of things, with this current regime...but I can honestly say I was in Teague's corner from day one and never gave up on him.  Since the Orlando series where we got swept, I had been crying for us to scrap the team and build around Teague/Horford (which...actually we did).

• Like 1

Paul has an OUTSTANDING team around him and a great coaching staff. He should make it this year.

Weeeeeell, they did give up a 19pt 3rd quarter lead in a closeout game at home.  They certainly have talent but they're still a flawed bunch and have no bench.  It's as likely that they lose as it is that they win.

So many criticize Teague.

So many Thought that he was a below average point guard.

So many wanted him gone.

So many still blame him for the short comings of his teammates.

So many would have given their 1st born to get Chris Paul on the team.

The fact  is that Jeff Teague is one of the best point guards to have ever played for the Hawks and has been the engine behind the success of this team.  There should be no doubt left amongst this fan base about Jeff teague going forward.

P.S. He made it to the conference finals before Kyle Lowery also  sun_bespectacled.gif

Teague.png

To be fair, teams have a easier road in the eastern conference.

Teague is one of the most underrated point guards in the NBA. He's also one of my favorite point guards in the league. 

Coach Bud chose Teague to be the Head of the snake of this team because of his ability to penetrate, great court vision, read defense really well, and create plays for his teammates. Also, he's a really good defender. He such a laid back guy, and i really like his personality. This is why i had a strong man crush on him.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 2

• Moderators

And this is where I jovially point out that Pero Antić made it to the conference finals before Blake Griffin - and then step back and wait for the hatred to flow.

to_pick_ones_nose.gifto_keep_order.gifwild.gifpreved.gifspiteful.gif

I agree with the basic question of logic here.  The argument seems to be made here that getting farther in the playoffs is a proxy for determining which player is better and Atlanta's success puts him above Paul and should stop all comparison of them.  This year that seems hard to make given that Houston > Wash and San Antonio > NJ and the fact that basketball is a team game.  On top of that, the fact that you can point to things like Pero/Griffin really shows the limitations of this argument.

Let's step beyond that, though.  Teague was questioned for his lack of aggression and inattention to defense for a while.  I was certainly concerned whether he could maintain aggression.  It made him highly inconsistent coming into this year.  This year he has stepped it up big time on both ends of the floor and shown much more leadership than he ever did previously in his career.  

Career high A/TO ratio

Career high TS%

Career high steals

Career high points

Career best defense

Career best aggression

That success is real and should be celebrated!  While I think the argument is kind of silly, I'd like to make the argument in the near future that Teague made the NBA finals before Curry or Harden and won the NBA finals before either of them.  He'll be an essential part of making that happen and then we won't have to worry about semantics just argue about what his triumphant theme song should be!  Go Hawks!

• Like 1