• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Question about Korver

I fully understand that the playoffs are much tighter as far as defense is concerned and taking away a team's weapon. But how did Korver get so many great looks in the regular season and can't seem to get any looks in the playoffs. Is it Bud not drawing better plays? Is it Korver being in a slump? Can anyone shed any light on this? I mean, it's not as if teams left Korver wide open in the regular season, he made many tough shots.

They are running many sets designed for him, but Korver often comes in late, and so the play is gone. Of course teams play him much harder now, not only on the shot but before he gets to screen already.

What to do about it?

Make it hurt there where they give up something to stop Korver. Dont just stand there waiting for the designed play to unfold. The Hawks need to be about versatillity and adaption, as they are designed to be.

I'd love some plays in game 2 where Korver can get a few open looks from the short corner 3's. Seems like the threes he's taking right now are top of the arc threes. I don't think I've seen him in such a slump in a while. Maybe since he's been a Hawk.

I think it's a couple things:

-Korver pressing a little bit since they are sticking him better in the playoffs.  Teams step up their defense in the postseason.

-He's just not confident in his stroke right now.

I think he'll improve because even though he didn't shoot much he did look more confident against the Cavs.  He just needs to learn when and where to contribute and not force the shot or the bad pass.  Seems like he's trying to hard to make the highlight play almost every time he has the ball on offense.

If Bud could refine his putting the ball on the floor after a pump fake for a drive and shoot or pass might also open up space for others. After all, Byd is the player development guru.

Dominique sounds like a broken record in the regular season when he says "you can't go under on KK". Well it's ringing true in the playoffs: you can count on one hand the number of clean looks he's gotten in half court sets. Teams are selling out to be in his shooting pocket when he catches.

We had a nice run in the second quarter countering their pressure on him and the space it created but it was short-lived. Him getting locked up usually shouldn't be a problembut the counters just haven't been taken advantage of quickly enough.

Multiple screens...side to side sprints. We free Korver up and everything opens up for us. We need to get him off early and often in game 2.

They need to work to get him open

He seems to be more decoy in teh playoffs which does help but when he gets hot he can change the game very quickly.

Is he running as much ??

Seems to me like he's still running hard. Only difference seems to be that his man is always shadowing him the entire time. I'm just looking for coach Bud to get creative and draw up magic. Korver's gotta be frustrated.

'Scuse me? We aren't talking about your pregame warmup here!

Lol...unfortunately that's more than just my pregame agenda...:-/ That's any given day that ends in Y...:-(

Korver doesn't appear to be moving as quickly as he was during the regular season.

Really? Hmmmm...it's possible. It's a long season and every player probably has some type of nagging injury.

Kyle Korver cannot be the focus of this offense. Get him the ball when open, but don't force the ball to him. Honestly, it was Brooklyn that laid out how to defend him as a team, but didnt have that one individual defender to slow him down. Washington on the other hand, beat him up on both ends of the floor with bumps off screens. Getting physical with Korver on offense, combined with attacking him on defense, is really wearing him down.

The one thing that could actually help Kyle, is to start cutting to the basket instead of hanging out by the 3 point line all the time. A whopping 85% of his shot attempts in the playoffs have been from 3 point range. It was at 75% during the season.

Midrange 2's are not a bad shot if you're open. Maybe a simple "Pero" pump fake to have his defender lunge at him + 2 dribbles toward the goal, could free him up for a shot.

5 straight games now in which Kyle has scored less than 10 points. In those games, he's shooting 33% FG and 29% 3FG. 5.2 ppg on 5.4 FGA is abysmal.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This team needs players capable of hitting contested jumpshots.  

Edited by NineOhTheRino