• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We need a scorer!

Wurider05

unless we are bringing prime bill russell, no amount of defense and rebounding can offset the offensive deficiencies of this team. Looking at our offensive numbers its clear that this team has problems on both sides of the ball.

Hawks ranked in the top 10 in offense. Scoring points overall wasnt the problem. Its the droughts they would have every game when the shots would stop falling. If they had a legit post game, it would solve that. The "so called" best player in the game, Lebron, doesnt beat you with jump shots. He beats people in the paint with those bull rushes. Like Charles Barkley says over and over " Its easier to score with lay ups and dunks, vs jumpshots."

Why can't we have better rebounding and scoring? Atlanta needs to get better at both. At the very least, they need to be able to score with the best of them to have a shot at winning a title.

Wouldnt a center that gives them 12 points a game ( balance the offense), accomplish the same thing? See, the thing is, people want the Hawks to get a  big time scorer, when that wasnt the problem. If you get a scorer, now you have to FEED HIM. Now you taking away the passing game of the Hawks. You HAVE to go iso with a scorer. Now you are EASIER to defend. 

Now, lets say they dont address scoring from the center position, but address it from the shooting guard or small forward position. Instead of going outside the organization, all they got to do is move Carroll over to shooting guard, and Milsap over to small forward. Now, you got a big guy at shooting guard who CAN take you off the dribble ( Carroll), when the offense stagnates. You install a legit rebounder/ rim protector at center.

The point is, the Hawks situation is frustrating because its NOT a hard fix.  If they had a legit rebounder, shot blocker against Cleveland, the series wouldve went their way.

Edited by atlhawks1

• Premium Member

Wouldnt a center that gives them 12 points a game ( balance the offense), accomplish the same thing? See, the thing is, people want the Hawks to get a  big time scorer, when that wasnt the problem. If you get a scorer, now you have to FEED HIM. Now you taking away the passing game of the Hawks. You HAVE to go iso with a scorer. Now you are EASIER to defend. 

Now, lets say they dont address scoring from the center position, but address it from the shooting guard or small forward position. Instead of going outside the organization, all they got to do is move Carroll over to shooting guard, and Milsap over to small forward. Now, you got a big guy at shooting guard who CAN take you off the dribble ( Carroll), when the offense stagnates. You install a legit rebounder/ rim protector at center.

The point is, the Hawks situation is frustrating because its NOT a hard fix.  If they had a legit rebounder, shot blocker against Cleveland, the series wouldve went their way.

I don't agree with this.Lebron, Curry, and Harden are all scorers but they also distribute for their teams. The Cavs had the Hawks scrambling on defense.The Hawks were easy to defend vs the Cavs this season and last season vs the Pacers. It's not an either/or thing when it comes to having a scorer. Find a scoring threat that is also a willing passer and we won't have these scoring droughts anymore. A scorer can pu the ball in the basket(FGs or FTs) until he draws the attention of the opposing team's defense and pass when the defense collapses on him initiating the passing game again. If anything, this makes us harder to defend.

Somebody who brings offensive efficiency can also fit in a system filled with ball movement. The Warriors have two extremely talented perimeter players that are able to move the ball and score buckets when need be, You seem to think that more scoring equals bricking, chucking, and ISO.

Our scoring can get better by grabbing a shooting guard who brings more to the table than Korver while bringing Korver off the bench.  There are different ways to attack this issue.

And really, why is this an either/or situation? Getting better at rebounding and scoring will make the Hawks dangerous and  a post season threat to the elite level teams. I'm arguing that Atlanta needs to be better at both.

Edited by Guard
  • Like 1

Who is easier to defend .... a wide open Mike Scott, or a guarded JR Smith?

JR Smith is the definition of a scorer, and not necessarily a shooter. He can get his shot off at any time and make very difficult shots. And if he gets hot, he can carry an offense.

Mike Scott isn't even a reliable outside shooter when left open. I think he's a good offensive player ... if he takes more midrange shots or posts up smaller players. But more times than not, a guy like Scott can't consistently carry a team with his offense. JR can.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think you have to understand the system we run and why it's so effective.

Our system is effective because of our ability to spread the floor. 

Korver can shoot, Carroll can shoot, Teague can shoot, Sap can Shoot, and Horf can shoot.   It's why the offense works.   For those of you talking about moving Sap and bringing in a post player doesn't know what you're talking about.  Sap stretches defenses just as much as Korver does.   It gives Teague and Dennis room to work.  That's why if you replace a player, realize that you need to replace that skillset. 

Hence, I would keep Sap and add a rim protecting, rebounding big to come off the bench. 

I've called Aldrich, Koufas, Asik, Mozgov,RLopez and Chandler as possibilities.

Chandler would be great, I just don't think he will be cheap or willing. However, if we came, we could add three more years to his basketball lifetime. 

I don't think Asik will be cheap simply based on his stance with Houston.

Aldrich could be cheap because he is strongly underestimated. 

As far as shooters, While I like RJ Hunter, I don't know why he only shot 30 something percent at GState. Steph Curry is my small school model.  Plus, I don't trust any shooters coming out of college to do what we need done...  Cover for Korver.

The answer may be just take a young fella and give Baze the starters minutes until Korver is ready.   I can roll with that... but then we have to choose between Hunter, Booker, and some of those other shooters out of college. 

I dont know how long or if Thabo is going to be back soon.  So getting some help that can play swingman and can shoot is a focus. 

I jumped to KMart because he's a shooter.  He's a guy who can play the Korver role well.  If I wanted a SF, I would go after Shabazz Muhammed.   That guy has potential and with Wiggins in Minny, they will definitely think about  trading him.

Also, all those Laker boys are possibilities... Henry, Easy Ed Davis, and Wesley Johnson specifically...

I would also love to get a hold of Afflalo 

I think you have to understand the system we run and why it's so effective.

Our system is effective because of our ability to spread the floor.

Korver can shoot, Carroll can shoot, Teague can shoot, Sap can Shoot, and Horf can shoot. It's why the offense works. For those of you talking about moving Sap and bringing in a post player doesn't know what you're talking about. Sap stretches defenses just as much as Korver does. It gives Teague and Dennis room to work. That's why if you replace a player, realize that you need to replace that skillset.

Hence, I would keep Sap and add a rim protecting, rebounding big to come off the bench.

I've called Aldrich, Koufas, Asik, Mozgov,RLopez and Chandler as possibilities.

Chandler would be great, I just don't think he will be cheap or willing. However, if we came, we could add three more years to his basketball lifetime.

I don't think Asik will be cheap simply based on his stance with Houston.

Aldrich could be cheap because he is strongly underestimated.

As far as shooters, While I like RJ Hunter, I don't know why he only shot 30 something percent at GState. Steph Curry is my small school model. Plus, I don't trust any shooters coming out of college to do what we need done... Cover for Korver.

The answer may be just take a young fella and give Baze the starters minutes until Korver is ready. I can roll with that... but then we have to choose between Hunter, Booker, and some of those other shooters out of college.

I dont know how long or if Thabo is going to be back soon. So getting some help that can play swingman and can shoot is a focus.

I jumped to KMart because he's a shooter. He's a guy who can play the Korver role well. If I wanted a SF, I would go after Shabazz Muhammed. That guy has potential and with Wiggins in Minny, they will definitely think about trading him.

Also, all those Laker boys are possibilities... Henry, Easy Ed Davis, and Wesley Johnson specifically...

I would also love to get a hold of Afflalo

I think this guy is Alex undercover.. Almost sure of it

Eta.. Not you Diesel but guy you quoted

Edited by IheartFerry