• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

“The Ressler”: Coming Soon, to an NBA Team Near You?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Koonin is right up there with Belkin (who tried to stop the BK disaster years but couldn't due to other ignorant ASG owners)...God Bless them both.

If you are comparing Gearon and Belkin, I get that.  Both were minority owners who dragged the team through the mud to try to seize control from the majority.  

But how are Koonin (who has masterfully marketed the team and grown the Hawks brand) and Belkin (who failed in his attempted hostile takeover bid) comparable?

If you are comparing Gearon and Belkin, I get that.  Both were minority owners who dragged the team through the mud to try to seize control from the majority.  

But how are Koonin (who has masterfully marketed the team and grown the Hawks brand) and Belkin (who failed in his attempted hostile takeover bid) comparable?

There'll always be a part of me that absolutely agrees with what Belkin did from a valuation standpoint. Joe Johnson has been a part of two lopsided trades and the Hawks have been on the giving and receiving end, although that Phoenix trade could have been avoidable had the Hawks simply tendered an offer sheet as they should have. I think that's the side DJ is on.

But yeah, Gearon and Belkin did shaddy asshole moves that screwed this organization over. Belkin did it as a pure power move while I bet Gearon has this false sense of him being some sort of a savior for the franchise. That's how delusional and stupid I find Gearon to be.

• Moderators

There'll always be a part of me that absolutely agrees with what Belkin did from a valuation standpoint. Joe Johnson has been a part of two lopsided trades and the Hawks have been on the giving and receiving end, although that Phoenix trade could have been avoidable had the Hawks simply tendered an offer sheet as they should have. I think that's the side DJ is on.

But yeah, Gearon and Belkin did shaddy asshole moves that screwed this organization over. Belkin did it as a pure power move while I bet Gearon has this false sense of him being some sort of a savior for the franchise. That's how delusional and stupid I find Gearon to be.

I have no problem with Belkin fighting against the JJ trade.  

The rub is that he tried a hostile takeover of the team because he disagreed with that one trade and he failed on both accounts.  The trade happened anyway and he failed to take over the team.  In the meantime, we had competitive disadvantages including being the only team I'm aware of in US sports history that legally had payroll restrictions differently from the rest of the league (they had to operate under  lower cap without getting Belkin and the court's approval).  He dragged this team through the dirt to try to take over and even failed at that. 

a#$*#&*

slideshow_1002210949_6.jpg

I think it will be interesting to see if there will be any change in how the Hawks draft with Bud and Wilcox running the draft.  Will they go with the same overall philosophy that Danny has employed?

Obviously, both Danny and Bud come from the San Antonio philosophy.

• Like 1

Regardless of what Schulz thinks, I just don't see the new ownership really parting ways with Ferry. Business wise, they have to weigh the lesser of two evils:

1. Experience criticism from the media, naysayers, whomever for keeping Ferry (this will pass after 2-3 months)

2. Rid of Ferry and have him implement a similar game plan elsewhere (while targeting similar players), potentially loose Bud after his contract, loose a man that obviously understands how to manipulate the salary cap so that is it flexible long term. Even if Bud and Wilcox run the team, Bud will be focusing less on what he is good at: Coaching.

One of these options has far less negative implications for the long term of the team. Ferry was forgiven by the man he wronged, publicly supported by Andrew Young, Magic Johnson, the commissioner himself, Adam Silver AND traveled to Africa for NGO work.  I don't think the organization would explode if he was rehired.

The owners are all businessmen/women, and smart ones at that. I have confidence they will either keep Ferry or keep him around as a ghost consultant.

• Like 1

Regardless of what Schulz thinks, I just don't see the new ownership really parting ways with Ferry. Business wise, they have to weigh the lesser of two evils:

1. Experience criticism from the media, naysayers, whomever for keeping Ferry (this will pass after 2-3 months)

2. Rid of Ferry and have him implement a similar game plan elsewhere (while targeting similar players), potentially loose Bud after his contract, loose a man that obviously understands how to manipulate the salary cap so that is it flexible long term. Even if Bud and Wilcox run the team, Bud will be focusing less on what he is good at: Coaching.

One of these options has far less negative implications for the long term of the team. Ferry was forgiven by the man he wronged, publicly supported by Andrew Young, Magic Johnson, the commissioner himself, Adam Silver AND traveled to Africa for NGO work.  I don't think the organization would explode if he was rehired.

The owners are all businessmen/women, and smart ones at that. I have confidence they will either keep Ferry or keep him around as a ghost consultant.

We ain't losing Bud. He's probably going to be one of the highest paid coaches this off-season he will be promoted to his current role he spotting for with Ferry gone. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's official. Tony Ressler is the new majority owner of the Hawks!!

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 3