• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The offseason...how do you see/want things going down?

bumpyphish1

So we signed him Un-officially. Just stop, please.

Supes is my dude, but he also said Al is as good/better than Karl Malone.  He's not backing down.

No, we agreed to a deal verbally, we then offered Detroit, they countered and we said no and there was no deal and he signed the QO. 

There is nothing said about a verbal deal - a deal would infer that both sides agreed to something.  We had an interest plain and simple, we probably asked what Detroit would want in a sign and trade, they heard, said no and nothing went further.

There is nothing said about a verbal deal - a deal would infer that both sides agreed to something.  We had an interest plain and simple, we probably asked what Detroit would want in a sign and trade, they heard, said no and nothing went further.

The Hawks and Monroe did agree which lead to the trade talks with Detroit. It was DET and ATL who could not agree. DET wanted Korver and Teague. Teague and Korver? Do you realize how fast I would have said no?

No, we agreed to a deal verbally, we then offered Detroit, they countered and we said no and there was no deal and he signed the QO.

You should stick to saying we agreed to a deal verbally. I get what you mean, but saying we signed him is making it sound like we had a jersey ready for him and everything.
  • Like 1

The Hawks and Monroe did agree which lead to the trade talks with Detroit. It was DET and ATL who could not agree. DET wanted Korver and Teague. Teague and Korver? Do you realize how fast I would have said no?

Show me an article that said they agreed to a deal with terms of said deal.

And i want to see his signature on the contract. 

You also left out the part about Portland trying to facilitate a similar trade for him.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Show me an article that said they agreed to a deal with terms of said deal.

There is no article. The trade response wouldn't be mention if there was no verbal agreement between Monroe/Hawks for starters. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Yall just wanna hear supes say he was wrong lol. Look, I remember we turned down the kyle and jeff trade. I remember, monroe met with bud in dc, same time he met thabo in dc. We know bud likes monroe.

But they don't want to hear that. They don't want to realize Monroe is 25 and a center. They want to talk about how Korver has more blocks but don't want to talk about how Monroe defends centers when Drummond struggles with at times and his defensive % in the paint is superior to even Horf's. They don't want to realize he is one of the better low post scorers and constantly draws double teams more than Drummond. Passing- Elite. 

I agree, Sap is a good player who gives us a lot but Horford hides some of his flaws and Horford will do the same for Monroe. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I haven't seen anything indicating the Hawks and Monroe agreed to terms on a deal.

It is not unusual for two teams to work out a trade before a contract is worked out with the player in question.  They can do the deal contingent on getting the contract done.  If it isn't successfully done, the trade doesn't happen.

As far as everything I have seen, my guess is that the Hawks some discussions with Monroe's agent but there is no need for there to already be a deal with Monroe before the Hawks test the waters with the Pistons.  

Since all that is looking backwards, I don't care too much.  Looking forward, it will be interesting to see if the Hawks reach out to him this summer.

Little insight from Marc Gasol re. his FAgency decision ...

http://www.eurohoops.net/2015/06/nba-news/100282

His answer was vague with the exception of his dislike of New York weather: “The reality for me at the moment is Memphis. I got there when I was 16 and I’m 30 years old. It’s important for me, personally and in sports terms. I’m in front of an important decision for the upcomming 4 or 5 years. I’ll take it quietly, without drama. There are many things to evaluate: personal goals, the ring… The city isn’t so important like it was in Pau’s case. My brother had other needs. People with sons knows how this works. I don’t have time to go to the opera, or to the theater. New York is nice but it was very cold during the All Star Game. San Antonio, L.A, Atlanta… there’s good things everywhere. I have a simple life: at home, the arena, the supermarket. Memphis is quiet. In Fort Yukon, Alaska, I would also be happy”.

Probably means nothing but nice to see us mentioned if only in passing.

If we want Gasol, I think he is one of the few big names that we have a good shot at. 

He and his family love Memphis and ATL is only a few hours of driving away.  He would get to come to an already contending East team that runs a system that he would excel in. 

The fit is perfect.  It's just a matter of if Bud wants to stay small and if Gasol is willing to leave Memphis.

If we want Gasol, I think he is one of the few big names that we have a good shot at. 

He and his family love Memphis and ATL is only a few hours of driving away.  He would get to come to an already contending East team that runs a system that he would excel in. 

The fit is perfect.  It's just a matter of if Bud wants to stay small and if Gasol is willing to leave Memphis.

If Budz turns his nose up at Gasol due to wanting to 'stay small', I'd involuntarily check him into rehab.

If Budz turns his nose up at Gasol due to wanting to 'stay small', I'd involuntarily check him into rehab.

Millsap and Gasol both have their pros and cons.  It's not like Gasol is some other-worldly player that is head and shoulders above every one else.  He struggled pretty badly in that Golden St. Series. 

I would prefer Gasol but I could see how Bud would choose to stick with Millsap.

You also have to think about the cap ramifications.  There's very little chance of us being able to sign Carroll if we sign Gasol while it's likely that we retain Carroll if Millsap agrees to taking the 16 million that is covered by his early bird rights.  So you are basically choosing Gasol or Carroll and Millsap.

• Moderators

We won't have Sap, Horf and Gasol so it depends on how badly they want to keep Sap.   This is a tough offseason for the Hawks. 

In other news David Lee is on the trading block.  He makes $15 mill but this is the last year of his deal.  So that'd be a big chunk coming off the books for the 2016 free agency bonanza.