• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The offseason...how do you see/want things going down?

bumpyphish1

Millsap and Gasol both have their pros and cons.  It's not like Gasol is some other-worldly player that is head and shoulders above every one else.  He struggled pretty badly in that Golden St. Series. 

I would prefer Gasol but I could see how Bud would choose to stick with Millsap.

You also have to think about the cap ramifications.  There's very little chance of us being able to sign Carroll if we sign Gasol while it's likely that we retain Carroll if Millsap agrees to taking the 16 million that is covered by his early bird rights.  So you are basically choosing Gasol or Carroll and Millsap.

I'd chose Gasol over Sap/DMC anyday.  What Sap and DMC bring can be replaced relatively easier than what Gasol can bring.  He was defensive player of the year and a legit MVP candidate for goodness sake!

We won't have Sap, Horf and Gasol so it depends on how badly they want to keep Sap.   This is a tough offseason for the Hawks. 

In other news David Lee is on the trading block.  He makes $15 mill but this is the last year of his deal.  So that'd be a big chunk coming off the books for the 2016 free agency bonanza.  

I brought up Lee yesterday.  That's just too much for him even on a 1yr deal.  Another FA that'd be an upgrade as a bench big is Jason Smith.  Kosta Koufos would be as well but he appears to want a bigger role (and $$$) than what he had in MEM.

• Moderators

I'd chose Gasol over Sap/DMC anyday.  What Sap and DMC bring can be replaced relatively easier than what Gasol can bring.  He was defensive player of the year and a legit MVP candidate for goodness sake!

I brought up Lee yesterday.  That's just too much for him even on a 1yr deal.  Another FA that'd be an upgrade as a bench big is Jason Smith.  Kosta Koufos would be as well but he appears to want a bigger role (and $$$) than what he had in MEM.

Lee is productive and having that $15 mill chunk coming off the books at a time we need to re sign Horford and make a run at Durant....    

It's unlikely we will sign DMC regardless of Sap or Gasol's status. His value is sky high. 10 mil plus just to sit at the table. Without his BR, we can't get him back if we wanted to. 

Lee is productive and having that $15 mill chunk coming off the books at a time we need to re sign Horford and make a run at Durant....    

Horford, Gasol and Durant wouldn't be fair. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

Apologies if this was posted further up.  I'm seeing it for the first time

Marc Gasol gave a more than interesting interview on the Catalan radio station RAC1 and of course the host of the show Marc Mundet asked him about his future. His answer was vague with the exception of his dislike of New York weather: “The reality for me at the moment is Memphis. I got there when I was 16 and I’m 30 years old. It’s important for me, personally and in sports terms. I’m in front of an important decision for the upcomming 4 or 5 years. I’ll take it quietly, without drama. There are many things to evaluate: personal goals, the ring… The city isn’t so important like it was in Pau’s case. My brother had other needs. People with sons knows how this works. I don’t have time to go to the opera, or to the theater. New York is nice but it was very cold during the All Star Game. San Antonio, L.A, Atlanta… there’s good things everywhere. I have a simple life: at home, the arena, the supermarket. Memphis is quiet. In Fort Yukon, Alaska, I would also be happy”. EuroHoops.net - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/atlanta_hawks#sthash.YFs11uTA.dpuf

Horford will be very sign-able IMHO.  I think he'll sign to another team-friendly deal.  Not sure we'd need to make a run at Durant when we'll have Anthony Davis by then.  Book it. to_keep_order.gif

Also, Durant is Zards-bound per all the 'sources'.  No need to waste time on him.

• Moderators

Horford will be very sign-able IMHO.  I think he'll sign to another team-friendly deal.  Not sure we'd need to make a run at Durant when we'll have Anthony Davis by then.  Book it. to_keep_order.gif

Also, Durant is Zards-bound per all the 'sources'.  No need to waste time on him.

Ah man.  If we can get Davis that would probably be the biggest acquisition in the history of Atlanta sports.   I'd much rather have him than KD any day of the week.  

• Premium Member

I think it's an interesting choice.  Sap/DMC are more than just rebounder/defenders those guys also play offense.  They fit so well in our system.  I don't disagree that Gasol is one of the best bigs playing today.  No doubt. I think he will have our interior defense humming.   We'd then have to rely on Sef to maintain the perimeter defense with Baze.  I think that can be done. 

Therefore, I think getting Gasol would make us better.   Not by much, but better and our draft pick would have to be somebody who is ready to contribute.

We are not getting Davis. 

I'm not letting you crush my dream, Supes.

Still though, him staying in NO is tantamount to career suicide IMHO.

Millsap and Gasol both have their pros and cons.  It's not like Gasol is some other-worldly player that is head and shoulders above every one else.  He struggled pretty badly in that Golden St. Series. 

I would prefer Gasol but I could see how Bud would choose to stick with Millsap.

You also have to think about the cap ramifications.  There's very little chance of us being able to sign Carroll if we sign Gasol while it's likely that we retain Carroll if Millsap agrees to taking the 16 million that is covered by his early bird rights.  So you are basically choosing Gasol or Carroll and Millsap.

Athlete

Rim Protector

Rebounder

He's on the last year of his deal, and would be a decent Plan B to go after, if Millsap goes out of our price range.

grant_g_javale_cr_64011.jpg?w=750

Lvgey6O.gif

• Like 1

Doesn't have a choice as he's a RFA. They'll match any offer that comes his way.

1. I'm not letting you crush my dream scenario either.

b. I though I read they were signing him to an extension early or STTE?  I gotta research that.

Please be joking.

But I thought some of yall wanted Josh back? Bring in the center version of Josh. You'll get the highlight play and the lowlight play maybe in the same quarter. If Pero were more popular, he would've been a Shaqtin a Fool hall of famer this year.

Seriously though, I hope Bud has a legit Plan B if we lose Sap. The idea of us getting Gasol, Aldridge, or Butler seems slim to none, so this off season may very well see the Hawks doing things we wouldn't think they'd do.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

To me, if you get the trade talks like we did with Joe Johnson. That's signing. It's not official but that's because if he signed, DET would match.

There is a clear difference. One fit, the other doesn't. We showed great interest in one and northcyde showed interest in the other.

And Jefferson is still the ideal center to put alongside Horford on this team. It would allow Al to be the Karl Malone lite type of player in offense you want him to be.

And Jefferson would give us a legit low post scorer and defensive rebounder. Bud would just have to adjust some of his scheme on defense, because you can't have Jefferson guarding people 18 feet away from the basket.