• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The offseason...how do you see/want things going down?

bumpyphish1

And Jefferson is still the ideal center to put alongside Horford on this team. It would allow Al to be the Karl Malone lite type of player in offense you want him to be.

And Jefferson would give us a legit low post scorer and defensive rebounder. Bud would just have to adjust some of his scheme on defense, because you can't have Jefferson guarding people 18 feet away from the basket.

Charlotte was terrible last year and they were even worse when Jefferson was on the court.  

You will not win in today's NBA with a player like Jefferson.  

• Premium Member

Athlete

Rim Protector

Rebounder

He's on the last year of his deal, and would be a decent Plan B to go after, if Millsap goes out of our price range.

grant_g_javale_cr_64011.jpg?w=750

I think we can get him in addition to Sap and DMC.  He'd be good off the bench.  BBIQ would have to improve.

Charlotte was terrible last year and they were even worse when Jefferson was on the court.

You will not win in today's NBA with a player like Jefferson.

Charlotte was devastated by injuries and had a volume shooter at PG that thinks he's Allen Iverson. Jefferson and now Mo Williams are the only halfway efficient shooters/scorers on that roster.

Jefferson was 3rd team All NBA in 2013 - 14 because he's an ELITE low post scorer and rebounder, when healthy. And he helped the Hornets reach the playoffs that year.

As I said 2 years ago, adding Jefferson on this team would enable the Hawks to keep a very good center on the floor at all times. That would enable those stretch 4 shooters like Moose and Muscala to stay in the midrange and out by the 3 point line.

Hawks fans need to get out of the mode of not wanting players that they personally don't like, and understand what the team needs.

A lot of people thought the Cavs were crazy for bringing in JR Smith, bit that move literally got them to the NBA Finals.

Charlotte was devastated by injuries and had a volume shooter at PG that thinks he's Allen Iverson. Jefferson and now Mo Williams are the only halfway efficient shooters/scorers on that roster.

Jefferson was 3rd team All NBA in 2013 - 14 because he's an ELITE low post scorer and rebounder, when healthy. And he helped the Hornets reach the playoffs that year.

As I said 2 years ago, adding Jefferson on this team would enable the Hawks to keep a very good center on the floor at all times. That would enable those stretch 4 shooters like Moose and Muscala to stay in the midrange and out by the 3 point line.

Hawks fans need to get out of the mode of not wanting players that they personally don't like, and understand what the team needs.

A lot of people thought the Cavs were crazy for bringing in JR Smith, bit that move literally got them to the NBA Finals.

He is also injury prone, a ball stopper and a useless defender.

I have nothing against Jefferson personally, I am just able to recognize that his style of play doesnt fit with what Bud is trying to do and thats why Bud won't even blink an eye towards Jefferson.

• Premium Member

I think the downgrade of Javale McGee off the bench because of his shaqtin a fool resume is unnecessary.

My guess is that he will go for cheap because of his reputation..

BUT...

IF Bud is truly the coach of the year and if he can truly develop players to play in his system, can you imagine what he could do with this 7'0 240 lber who averaged 2.5 blocks per game and 9 rpg in 27 minutes per just two year ago??

MCGEE WOULD BE EXCELLENT COMING OFF THE BENCH

to spell Horford and take on bigger bigs.

Value picks... I think we have a shot at Aldrich, RLopez, and McGee and honestly, if Bud can reach him, I think McGree can be a bigger turn around story than J.R. Smith.

• Like 1

Isn't that most fans? 

I don't know, I am not sold Jefferson is much of an upgrade over Sap especially since I don't see Jefferson fitting our style of player which player movement and ball movement matters. Monroe is the player I want if Gasol doesn't want to come to Atlanta. 

He is also injury prone, a ball stopper and a useless defender.

I have nothing against Jefferson personally, I am just able to recognize that his style of play doesnt fit with what Bud is trying to do and thats why Bud won't even blink an eye towards Jefferson.

Bud coached up Pero Antić, of all people, to be a useful basketball player at times. He'd have little problem maximizing the talents of a Jefferson to fit the team and the way we play.

And when you actually need the ball to stop, in order to get it to a scorer, he'd be a nice option in the low post to go to.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Isn't that most fans? 

I don't know, I am not sold Jefferson is much of an upgrade over Sap especially since I don't see Jefferson fitting our style of player which player movement and ball movement matters. Monroe is the player I want if Gasol doesn't want to come to Atlanta. 

I actually have to agree.

I think Jefferson could be a great match to Horf because he will man the post and startup Big Al's paint supplies... but His injuries and his "lack of work ethic" gives me great Pause.

We know what Paul Brings.

Bud coached up Pero Antić, of all people, to be a useful basketball player at times. He'd have little problem maximizing the talents of a Jefferson to fit the team and the way we play.

And when you actually need the ball to stop, in order to get it to a scorer, he'd be a nice option in the low post to go to.

The difference is pero cost next to nothing while jefferson will take a good portion of our cap.

• Like 1

I have no issues with Al Jefferson the talent. He's more talented than Millsap but Sap fits and we all knew he would fit but Jefferson is a player that has to play in an offense based on him. He's like Brook Lopez but not as impactful. 

With all these crap rumours that Ferry is gone....priority has become:

1) Extend Bud and find a GM he is enthusiastic to work with.

Then....

I think DeMarre and Paul are likely walking.  Neither of those guys is worth overpaying.  The only guy we go to the mats for is Horford when his contract is up, and he will hopefully not ask for the max because he has already been paid, is a decent guy, and likely wants to win.  As long as we give him $16M or so, I think he'd be fine with that.  

We go into the next season with $40,225,000 allocated out of a cap of $67.1M.  Ie. We have $26+M to spend.  Remember the cap goes up to $89 next offseason, then there's another hike after that if I'm not mistaken.

Definitely coming back in 2015-16 (in order of pay):

Horford (2016 unrestricted) 

Teague

Korver

Sefolosha

M. Scott (2016 team option)

Shelvin (2016 team option)

Bazemore (2016 unrestricted)

Dennis

Muscala (2016 team option)

That's nine guys.  What's the max roster number?  14?  15?   leaves us with 4-6 spots to fill.  I don't think DeMarre is worth more than $7M and I don't think Millsap is worth more than $12M.  If they demand more than that, let 'em walk.  

Here's the approach:

We should look at Dekker/Kaminsky/best non-PG available at #15.

We should stash at least one of our #2 picks. 

Bring Tavares over.

Sign a veteran Center.  Marc Gasol is the best option.  Then you gotta look at Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez, Asik, Koufos. 

That leaves 1-3 more roster spots to fill between DeMarre, Paul, potentially one of our second rounders, and any other free agents.  Unrestricted guys out there we could be interested in would include:  Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Belinelli, Mike Dunleavy, Gary Neal, John Jenkins.

That seems like the list of names to work with if you ask me.  How things will shake out, I don't know.  I'm honestly not sure we don't need to try to make a play for a big time "superstar" next offseason.  Kevin Durant, I'm thinking of you.  We'll also be mindful that we are gonna have to give Horf a nice deal.  Fortunately, the growing cap helps with that.

With all these crap rumours that Ferry is gone....priority has become:

1) Extend Bud and find a GM he is enthusiastic to work with.

Then....

I think DeMarre and Paul are likely walking.  Neither of those guys is worth overpaying.  The only guy we go to the mats for is Horford when his contract is up, and he will hopefully not ask for the max because he has already been paid, is a decent guy, and likely wants to win.  As long as we give him $16M or so, I think he'd be fine with that.  

We go into the next season with $40,225,000 allocated out of a cap of $67.1M.  Ie. We have $26+M to spend.  Remember the cap goes up to $89 next offseason, then there's another hike after that if I'm not mistaken.

Definitely coming back in 2015-16 (in order of pay):

Horford (2016 unrestricted) 

Teague

Korver

Sefolosha

M. Scott (2016 team option)

Shelvin (2016 team option)

Bazemore (2016 unrestricted)

Dennis

Muscala (2016 team option)

That's nine guys.  What's the max roster number?  14?  15?   leaves us with 4-6 spots to fill.  I don't think DeMarre is worth more than $7M and I don't think Millsap is worth more than $12M.  If they demand more than that, let 'em walk.  

Here's the approach:

We should look at Dekker/Kaminsky/best non-PG available at #15.

We should stash at least one of our #2 picks. 

Bring Tavares over.

Sign a veteran Center.  Marc Gasol is the best option.  Then you gotta look at Greg Monroe, Robin Lopez, Asik, Koufos. 

That leaves 1-3 more roster spots to fill between DeMarre, Paul, potentially one of our second rounders, and any other free agents.  Unrestricted guys out there we could be interested in would include:  Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Belinelli, Mike Dunleavy, Gary Neal, John Jenkins.

That seems like the list of names to work with if you ask me.  How things will shake out, I don't know.  I'm honestly not sure we don't need to try to make a play for a big time "superstar" next offseason.  Kevin Durant, I'm thinking of you.  We'll also be mindful that we are gonna have to give Horf a nice deal.  Fortunately, the growing cap helps with that.

Max varies depending if we are talking early bird, bird or standard. 

Standard for Monroe is 15.3

Gasol/Millsap/LMA is 18.6

Add Edy's 525 to 600k and the 15th pick 1.6 which is roster spot 10 and 11. If we sign a max player, we can use all of the cap for that and still have money left for another player, likely around 6.5-10 million depending on who we sign with our max. Obviously signing Monroe gives us more flexibility. He makes it possible to resign DMC as does Sap taking his early bird max. I don't see why Sap would like almost 8 million on the table when he can go to a team like Detroit, get more money and play next to a true center who's on the come up or Toronto who is literally one piece away. He has options is what I am saying.

We really have a good chance to add two solid Thabo like bench contributors with the money left from the max deal and with our MMLE which is what we used to sign Bazemore. Thabo costed more than the MMLE.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

1. I'm not letting you crush my dream scenario either.

b. I though I read they were signing him to an extension early or STTE?  I gotta research that.

As a UK fan, I would soooooooooooo love to see it but it won't happen.  NO has an enormous advantage to keep him around for the next decade and then if he leaves he will probably be jumping to a team that is either a premier market or is primed with at least one other All-NBA talent.  If we drafted him, I would like our odds but Atlanta doesn't win the battle for these free agents historically and I don't see a reason that is likely to change.  Our odds of getting someone a few rungs down the ladder like Gasol is better but even that is a real long-shot.

• Premium Member

I'm bullish on retaining Sap and DMC largely b/c I'm so persuaded at this point that the SA philosophy is our philosophy... and while they've certainly churned the role player part of their roster through the Popovich years, it has been standard procedure that they've retained their key parts.

Of course, I've been fooled before... but unless the new ownership turns the SA East paradigm on its head, I just practically take it for granted that they're going to make a God-honest attempt to keep the first 5 intact.

As for other 2014-15 Hawks properties:

Jenkins: Depending on who they draft and on whether there's any enthusiasm for him from another team to scoop him up, I could see them making a legitimate effort to re-sign him. Money almost certainly wouldn't be an issue. I think they like his attitude, and respect that he's worked as hard as he had to come back from injury and to improve on defense. His chances would be much improved if someway somehow one of the three PGs was replaced by a 6-4 or greater guy, allowing Jenkins to guard the other team's PG more often. Bottom-line, yes, I can see it happening, but no, I don't think it will.

Patterson: With a good summer league performance, I think he gets a shot to battle for the SG slot occupied previously by Jenkins--as long as it's not otherwise filled by the #15 pick.

Daye: Not persuaded he did anything to convince Bud to want to keep him around.

Antić: Mr. Intangibles' roster slot certainly is vulnerable. Still, for a championship-caliber roster, you really need those guys who make so little (relatively-speaking) that it's pretty easy for them to outperform their contract, and at the same time, allow you to spend more money elsewhere. I can imagine him coming back on a contract similar to the one he just finished.

Muscala: Of everyone mentioned so far, I think many would agree that Moose is easily the player most likely to return.

Brand: In a perfect world, would love to have him back as a coach, and an emergency guy who could lace 'em back up if the need arose mid-season. But otherwise, I sense that he's done.

Tavares: I see him getting the Moose treatment--he'll get a roster slot next season, but will spend a lot of time in the D-league.

So here's where that leaves us:

2015-06-10_1524.png

My predictions (which are almost always... always... wrong, mind you) for opening night 2015 roster...

- Sam Dekker (#15 pick, 6-9 SF who seems to me a somewhat taller version of Ginobili)

- Luis Scola (veteran low-post FA pick-up who will share with Muscala in taking Brand and Antić's minutes)

So, no jaw-dropping additions. But I believe certainly an even deeper team than 2014-15.

I will be happy if we can retain DMC + Millsap, hit on our 1st rounder and add one bench player that has an impact similar to Thabo's.

That plus another year of growth under the system and from our youngin's should lead us back to the ECFs. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm probably just not reading enough threads, and so, sorry if already posted and late to the thought... but I was just struck by how much fun would it be for these two things to occur in the coming weeks?

1. Ferry is retained.

2. Ferry signs Deng.

cheers.gif