• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Grantland: Hawks Offered Paul Millsap, DeMarre Carroll Longer Deals In 2013

NBASupes

The Atlanta Hawks signed Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll on cheap two-year contracts in 2013, but the length of those deals are problematic as they are now free agents after outperforming those deals.

The Hawks offered longer contracts at the time to both players, according to sources.

Teams can go over the cap to re-sign their own players, but teams have a reduced version of that right for players coming off one and two-year deals.

Millsap’s maximum salary will be about $18.9 million, meaning that if Millsap wants his max — or thinks he can get it from another team — the Hawks will have to dip into their cap room to pay him.

The Hawks can sign Millsap to a deal starting at only $16.6 million per season if they go over the cap. If they use $19 million in cap space on Millsap, they would not have enough room left to re-sign Carroll.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-hawks-can-fly-but-when-will-they-soar/

I get Millsap would be loyal and stay at a team friendly long term deal since the Hawks are a contender. Carroll, I think he'll go to whoever pays him the most. I think he'll be a Piston.

I get Millsap would be loyal and stay at a team friendly long term deal since the Hawks are a contender. Carroll, I think he'll go to whoever pays him the most. I think he'll be a Piston.

Millsap isn't taking a loyal deal. He wants to get the max and a financial stability first. Then he's about fit of situation. We could clearly sign him back if we offer the max but like others have mentioned, why would you lock in this team at the same level when it's clear that they need more talent to truly contend for a NBA title. This team becomes the east version of Memphis if these signings are made. 

Millsap isn't taking a loyal deal. He wants to get the max and a financial stability first. Then he's about fit of situation. We could clearly sign him back if we offer the max but like others have mentioned, why would you lock in this team at the same level when it's clear that they need more talent to truly contend for a NBA title. This team becomes the east version of Memphis if these signings are made. 

I could see that. I just think when he signed with ATL, he didn't see them being a contender just a place to help him get a pay day but it turns out ATL turned into a contender. 

ATL got the talent to win it all, Korver/Thabo/Carroll/Millsap were banged up. We seen what a healthy Hawks team can do in December, after that they were never the same with all those injuries. 

You are missing my point, I know the TV is why. But the owners would like to not increase the cap by $30 million in year one instead spread it out over so many years to prevent the cap from rising that fast. Players said no but nothing is set. I'm saying suppose during the negotiations of the new CBA they decide to that it in exchange for a higher % of the Basketball income. So instead of the cap rising by 30 mil to 90, it goes up by $15 mil.

The players are currently receiving 51% of the BRI if owners offered a higher percentage in exchange for keeping a lower cap number.

The cap goes up before the new CBA so will already be high before that happens

• 11 months later...