• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

So is it a given Tavares comes over next year?

Wurider05

First, I forgot how well Tavaris moves for a 7 footer.  I like how he uses the glass and shows some fineness around the basket.  Sort of like Tim Duncan.  He's not gong to kill you with monster dunks, but will with the most efficient shots.

There's a pretty sweet turn-around jumper at 3:35.

https://youtu.be/YW6-7NoAXtw

Edited by ATLSmith

He will be a d-leaguer next year ... may contribute at some point but I don't see it being next year

Don't see why he'd come over to be in the D league. Can't he make more money in Europe? Doesn't he have a choice? Don't know exactly how it works.

Don't see why he'd come over to be in the D league. Can't he make more money in Europe? Doesn't he have a choice? Don't know exactly how it works.

If he comes over, he'll be on the Hawks roster with an NBA salary but will get assigned to the DL if he isn't playing.

If he comes over, he'll be on the Hawks roster with an NBA salary but will get assigned to the DL if he isn't playing.

Seems completely illogical but thank you for explaining. D league on an NBA salary beats Europe I guess. I Don't see Elton Brand blocking him, but we'll see.

Seems completely illogical but thank you for explaining. D league on an NBA salary beats Europe I guess. I Don't see Elton Brand blocking him, but we'll see.

Dennis saw time in the DL his rookie year, did him some good. Moose and Jenkins also saw time in the DL this season.

Dennis saw time in the DL his rookie year, did him some good. Moose and Jenkins also saw time in the DL this season.

Just mean that paying minor leaguers the same as major leaguers seems illogical. I'm sure the per diem is still better in Atl

Just mean that paying minor leaguers the same as major leaguers seems illogical. I'm sure the per diem is still better in Atl

Not all D-Leaguers make an NBA salary. We can send players down, but we still owe them as if they were still on the active roster.
  • Like 2

Not exactly, because Walter if doesn't come to Atlanta would go to an Euroleague team where he would earn more than €1M, probably 1.5M or even more, Gustavo Ayón is making 1.8M in Real Madrid right now. What I want to say it's that if we only pay him the minimum he'd lose money...

Not all D-Leaguers make an NBA salary. We can send players down, but we still owe them as if they were still on the active roster.

I guess only the hotshots get the big money. The mlb minor league system is so easy to follow and so much fun to keep up with and so seemingly egalitarian. Hopefully the nba will catch up.

I guess only the hotshots get the big money. The mlb minor league system is so easy to follow and so much fun to keep up with and so seemingly egalitarian. Hopefully the nba will catch up.

I'd say it's more confusing. If you get drafted in the NBA and join a team, you're getting a contract. The other players in the D-League are playing for a chance at an NBA contract.

I'd say it's more confusing. If you get drafted in the NBA and join a team, you're getting a contract. The other players in the D-League are playing for a chance at an NBA contract.

I guess it's an impossible comparison since there are infinite rounds in baseball and sometimes the 50th rounders become Stars. Just another reason why baseball is a more interesting sport to follow.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I assume he will be part of our roster next year and I also believe he will spend some time in the D-League. Those D-League stints have been a pretty big part of our player development system for once.

I assume he will be part of our roster next year and I also believe he will spend some time in the D-League. Those D-League stints have been a pretty big part of our player development system for once.

The D-League really helped guys like Schröder and Muscala to get to the level they are at now. Just imagine what Tavares would be like.

Not exactly, because Walter if doesn't come to Atlanta would go to an Euroleague team where he would earn more than €1M, probably 1.5M or even more, Gustavo Ayón is making 1.8M in Real Madrid right now. What I want to say it's that if we only pay him the minimum he'd lose money...

I think he's underrated on this site. Most of these guys haven't seen him since SL. He wasn't that impressive there, he was decent at best. Barely better than Patterson and not as good as Muscala. His improvement has been Dennis-like. He will be much better than many on here think. 

• Like 1

I think he's underrated on this site. Most of these guys haven't seen him since SL. He wasn't that impressive there, he was decent at best. Barely better than Patterson and not as good as Muscala. His improvement has been Dennis-like. He will be much better than many on here think.

I can really tell he's improved his core strength from last summer league. His arm movements when going for rebounds is more twitchy than last year. His arms are so long there was very little suddenness to his game. My best analogy is he looked like aircraft carrier trying to play a fluid sport like basketball. Everything was slow and deliberate like he was thinking about every movement. He's looks much more fluid and natural, and now he has the strength to grab rebounds up high without letting them getting knocked away.

I'm looking forward to summer league.

• Like 2