• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks looking for a new GM

Vol4ever

I find it strange that Deng has drawn the ire of some posters here. There's only one person responsible for the situation Ferry is in right now and it's not Deng.

What on earth are you talking about?  I just said I am glad we didn't get stuck signing Deng, because he isn't worth it.  You're trying a little too hard to read between the lines when there's nothing there.

C'mon @TheNorthCydeRises it's not about money and friendship it'll be about differences in basketball philosophies between GM and Coach why Bud would not be back. Coach Bud has 1 year left on his contract if he decides the new GM's direction doesn't mirror his own and opts not to resign he'll have his pick of any team with a vacancy. Just saying.

Vinny Del Negro - Clippers

Lionel Hollins - Grizzlies

George Karl - Nuggets

Tom Thibedeau - Bulls

All were recent coaches who were let go after 50 win seasons. None of those coaches were actively looking to leave their team, despite differences with management. But none of them were retained after their contracts were up, due to the changes in the front office.

I'm sure there are some coaches who have up and decided to look for other jobs because of a disagreement with management. But other than Doc Rivers leaving the Celtics after Garnett and Pierce was traded, I can't think of a single coach who voluntarily left a situation because of management disagreements.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

Danny Ferry is GONE.......Think about it. If there was any chance he was gonna stay, he wouldve BEEN back off that "suspension". As long as Mike Gearon and Dominique Wilkins have a say,(which they do), Ferry is  gone. Its a shame too because Dominique is my favorite athlete.

I think the more pressing issue is to make sure the Hawks hire a General Manager that Coach Bud WANTS to work with because the next issue WILL be keeping Bud. Other teams saw what he and Ferry did in Atlanta and are chumping at the bit to get either or both.

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

Vinny Del Negro - Clippers

Lionel Hollins - Grizzlies

George Karl - Nuggets

Tom Thibedeau - Bulls

All were recent coaches who were let go after 50 win seasons. None of those coaches were actively looking to leave their team, despite differences with management. But none of them were retained after their contracts were up, due to the changes in the front office.

I'm sure there are some coaches who have up and decided to look for other jobs because of a disagreement with management. But other than Doc Rivers leaving the Celtics after Garnett and Pierce was traded, I can't think of a single coach who voluntarily left a situation because of management disagreements.

You are proving my point exactly, those coaches weren't retained because of differences with front office. Bud has 1 year left, he could also be not retained if he and the GM have different bbal philosophies.

Thibodeau has 2 years left on his deal and got fired because of differences with Management.

All I'm pointing out is that different basketball ball philosophies between GM and coach will not work.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I would love it if the Hawks gave Billy Knight another shot.  

• Moderators

You are proving my point exactly, those coaches weren't retained because of differences with front office. Bud has 1 year left, he could also be not retained if he and the GM have different bbal philosophies.

Thibodeau has 2 years left on his deal and got fired because of differences with Management.

All I'm pointing out is that different basketball ball philosophies between GM and coach will not work.

Thibs is going to have absolutely no problem landing that next job as well.  

Generally, there have been plenty of coaches who have jumped around for opportunities.  Larry Brown might top that list.

I would love it if the Hawks gave Billy Knight another shot.  

/sarcasm

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ferry might be back with another franchise in 2016. 

That brings up another problem.  If Ferry is running another franchise then chances are he'll be using a similar building strategy which means another team after the same types of players.

Could it be that Grant Hill will want the GM position and then bring in his own head coach?

Do you believe that these new owners will want to keep things the way they are because

the Hawks ended up #2 in the east in the playoffs and have the coach of the year?

Or, will they want to stir things up a lot and put their own personal imprint on the Hawks?

Either thing could happen because the Hawks belong to them.  It's their team.  They own it.

Thibs is going to have absolutely no problem landing that next job as well.  

Generally, there have been plenty of coaches who have jumped around for opportunities.  Larry Brown might top that list.

/sarcasm

The Atlanta Hawk nightmare:

The Philadelphia 76ers would be the PERFECT organization to pull this off. A young talented team looking for direction:

7820682.jpg

1410203930000-XXX_8245_53642169.JPG

That brings up another problem.  If Ferry is running another franchise then chances are he'll be using a similar building strategy which means another team after the same types of players.

Yup. and the other team will have the advantage.

Bud going back to the Spurs has to be seen as a real threat. Ferry could land there again to work with Buford, but let's say Pop retires next season. Bud is the logical choice for Buford/Ferry to come after given Bud's contract situation. 

Second, if you are Bud, do you even sign an extension this year if the new/old owners sign a GM that you are unsure about working with? That is a huge risk for Bud especially given he's a FA after this year.

Lastly, if the Hawks are going to attract FAs this summer they need to get their full management structure in place. That could even go for resigning Millsap and Carroll. If dollars are even, why resign with the team where the coach may leave in a season? 

Bottom line, I really hope that the new/old owners get their act and egos (Gearon and Wilkins) together and fix the dysfunction of the Gearon-Wilkins-Ferry kerfuffle.  

• Like 2

Bud going back to the Spurs has to be seen as a real threat. Ferry could land there again to work with Buford, but let's say Pop retires next season. Bud is the logical choice for Buford/Ferry to come after given Bud's contract situation. 

Second, if you are Bud, do you even sign an extension this year if the new/old owners sign a GM that you are unsure about working with? That is a huge risk for Bud especially given he's a FA after this year.

Lastly, if the Hawks are going to attract FAs this summer they need to get their full management structure in place. That could even go for resigning Millsap and Carroll. If dollars are even, why resign with the team where the coach may leave in a season? 

Bottom line, I really hope that the new/old owners get their act and egos (Gearon and Wilkins) together and fix the dysfunction of the Gearon-Wilkins-Ferry kerfuffle.  

The nightmare would be Bud replacing Pop and him taking Horford with him to replace Duncan.

• Like 2

The nightmare would be Bud replacing Pop and him taking Horford with him to replace Duncan.

And that is not out of the realm of possibility...

• Like 1

Drafting is a huge part of a GM's job. That goes for any sport.  Questionable drafting can set a team back for god knows how many years. To say it isn't everything is mind boggling to me. It's one of the most important aspects of being a GM. 

You also have to consider our window. If we never make it back to the Conference Final, those two wasted first rounders might hurt in a few years. We already have felt the impact of Atlanta's bad drafting in years past.

I completely agree that drafting is important, but it shouldn't be the gold standard by which a GM is measured.  It's better to look at the collective work.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bud is his own man and he's made a name for himself in the ATL. His friendship with Ferry will continue no matter what I suspect. But he's played a leading role in reviving basketball in Atlanta and along with Koonin continue to take the Hawks to new heights and towards winning championships. I don't think he walks away from that simply because Ferry's no longer there.

• Like 2